Who would subscribe or listen to a podcast purely about calculators?

What would you want to see out of it? General community news, hacker-specific stuff, upcoming game and program/application development, reviews, TI rumors, etc.?

All of the above? None of the above?

I've thought about starting one once or twice, but there's not much point if no one's going to care.

We've been doing HCWP for a while now, which is good but it tends to get a little off-topic. This would be a chance to get organized and produce something high-quality, and make it real for people. Personally I think it's a lot more exciting when you can see and hear the people working on some of this stuff.

What say you?
I say it's a nice idea, but I'd like to fold it into HCWP somehow. I'm thinking we could have a partial return to the original, more organized format, where we would have discussion, a keynote, then discussion of projects and randomness. Perhaps we could do something like 30 minutes of discussion and fine-tuning of the schedule, a half-hour, disciplined session from 8:30 to 9pm where people speak as per the plan, and which is recorded, and tail off after 9pm with our usual off-topicness? Perhaps we could even convince someone like Duncan, Travis, Ryan, or Nikky to summarize the week's ticalc.org news and programs of note.
HWCP is that thing where people talk on Skype about calculators or something? I'd listen to a podcast.

You'd have to ask Ryan directly about talking; I suspect he'd be a better choice than I.
chronomex wrote:
HWCP is that thing where people talk on Skype about calculators or something? I'd listen to a podcast.

You'd have to ask Ryan directly about talking; I suspect he'd be a better choice than I.
It's not Skype, it's TinyChat, which is an abomination of a ridiculously-badly written client for a horribly bad platform, Flash. Sadly, it's pretty much the best of several bad options.
I don't think I would participate in talking, but I would like to see this come to fruition. Eeems had a small 10 minutes show attempt going on last year, but it stopped after only one episode. It was supposed to be him and SirCmpwn doing it live, until SirCmpwn's parents made it impossible for both to be on at the exact same time.

One thing that would be nice too is if the videos of the show were made available for viewing again after the show, for those who missed it.

If you ever plan to also play a calculator game videos during the shows, I got plenty on my Youtube account (including the now defunct TI-84+ BASIC RPG nostalgia series).
I wouldn't call HCWP a "show" as much as a "conference", personally, but I like the idea of reverting a fixed segment of it to a more organized format, as originally planned. We've discussed many times taping and playing back the segment, but there's a combination of TinyChat's failings, no one with a good video recording method, and no good place for a recording. Smile I think a sound recording, as per the standard podcast format, would be excellent.
I like the Idea of a podcast instead of HCWP. HCWP seems to

1. Never have too many people talking on it.
2. When people are talking, I don't really care most of the time.

A podcast would fix both of these. There would have to be someone talking, or it wouldn't be a podcast. There is also a subject line, so I could only watch the shows that interest me.
I actually would love this to come to fruition. In fact, I would be glad contribute to it maybe as either a speaker or at least maybe an organizer of discussed information (I have decently well-used accounts on most TI websites, so I can easily find things worth mentioning).
A better idea is to make the "nikky show." Where I discuss tangentially-related topics.
I'd like HCWP to stay the way it is, more or less, and then have the podcasts as well. The advantage to the podcasts is that they can be downloaded and listened to at ones leisure. I think that way we can keep a more informal setting in HCWP, but then have the structured podcasts. Are podcasts live? Because if not, that could mean we could edit them to make them more polished, too.
Podcasts don't have to be live, but it depends on the format. I might be mixing them up, but pod cats isn't live nessicarily, but live webcasts are... Live. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, a nikky show would be interesting. I actually would probably listen to that.
Ashbad wrote:
Podcasts don't have to be live, but it depends on the format. I might be mixing them up, but pod cats isn't live nessicarily, but live webcasts are... Live. Correct me if I'm wrong

A podcast isn't necessarily live, but to be a "Live Webcast" it has to be live.
It would be nice to see HCWP be more about calculators and less about random things.

Though I agree, podcasts would be interesting to have.
allynfolksjr wrote:
A better idea is to make the "nikky show." Where I discuss tangentially-related topics.

Let's be honest, what we're really talking about making here is the "Brandon show."
I agree that if we could push HCWP to have a better focus on calcs, that would be great, but I think it should stay more informal (it's nice to come home and get to see online friends and talk about stuff without needing a schedule on it). The podcasts would allow us to have a strict format, a strict group of people talking (no one could just pop on without his shirt on and talk about suff no one cares about), and allow everyone to see/hear what's going on, not just the people who have access to the internet from 8-11 on wednesday night. We could also get other people to join the podcast at a different time, like, we could get ben ryves to talk about something, even though he's not available during HCWP.
seana11 wrote:
I like the Idea of a podcast instead of HCWP. HCWP seems to

1. Never have too many people talking on it.
2. When people are talking, I don't really care most of the time.

A podcast would fix both of these. There would have to be someone talking, or it wouldn't be a podcast. There is also a subject line, so I could only watch the shows that interest me.

0. No one is discussing cancelling HCWP. If it ever stops, I expect it will be because of organic drop in interest leading to no one showing up, not because of a cancellation
1. We peak around 25 users on busy weeks.
2. Then don't attend, if you don't care.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours