Can someone convert a MOV file to a WMV for me? I would do it, but I can't do it on this computer and I can't install a converter because I don't have administrative privileges. Link to Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9tpisfpw8wnin8d
ffmpeg.
Is .ASF fine? (WMV+WMA)
Anything that accepts .WMV should accept this kind of .ASF

http://whff.frogbox.es/download.php?file=405r5mi7dk
iirc, use ffmpeg -i input.mov -acodec wmav2 -b 800000 -o output.wmv
Off of the top of my head from when I last converted to wmv. -b may be wrong, though, but the bitrate must be high.
Thank you! I'm using it to make another one of my lip sync videos.
Super Video Converter is an easy-to-use frontend for ffmpeg and a bunch of other converters, but it might require administrative privledges, I'm not actually sure. It does do everything I ever need it to without having to go through a command line, and it includes all the converters in it's package so I can quickly install it anywhere I need to manipulate video(like at church when doing the VBS presentation, for example).
Out of curiosity, what reason could you possibly have for wanting to produce a .wmv in this day and age?
I was using it to make a video of me lip syncing to a medley I made out of my favorite songs.

Here it is:
Spenceboy98 wrote:
I was using it to make a video of me lip syncing to a medley I made out of my favorite songs.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKY2OXp7gM

Which is on youtube, in a Flash-format. I still don't know why you want to produce a wmv file. It's an awful format, and nobody uses it for anything. If you must convert it instead of uploading straight to youtube, make an avi, or mkv.

Do you have a Zune or something?
That, or he was using Windows Movie Maker, unless it's gotten significantly better.
comicIDIOT wrote:
That, or he was using Windows Movie Maker, unless it's gotten significantly better.

Oh, good lord. If that is the case, my condolences. Carry on.

[edit]

wait, hasn't WMM supported avi since at least XP? I ask because that was the last time I used it, and I definitely had avi footage.
Looks like it's been having issues with/hasn't supported AVI before 2007.
http://www.moviecodec.com/video-codecs/avi-codecs-for-windows-movie-maker-32927/
If I may chime in, I use Windows Movie Maker for most of my project videos that I upload to YouTube, and it works fine with AVI. If does NOT work with Apple's dumb MOV format, though. Wink
Yeah, I was using Windows Live Movie Maker, and I guess it doesn't support MOV files.
KermMartian wrote:
If I may chime in, I use Windows Movie Maker for most of my project videos that I upload to YouTube, and it works fine with AVI. If does NOT work with Apple's AWESOME MOV format, though. Wink

Fixed. Razz
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
If I may chime in, I use Windows Movie Maker for most of my project videos that I upload to YouTube, and it works fine with AVI. If does NOT work with Apple's AWESOME MOV format, though. Wink

Fixed. Razz

I've found both MOV and WMV to be equally flawed. Both formats look great when something is recorded in them natively, but look terrible when something else is converted to them. Frankly, I've found Xvid AVI is the best way to go.
I find anything windows sucks, and is flawed naturally. So anything WM* Is out for me. I honestly never "Converted " To MOV so I would not know, i DO know that when exporting to MOV, it looks amazing.
A lot of it is down to the encoder you're using, though transcoding usually imposes a fairly significant quality hit. WinFF is a relatively idiot-proof GUI around FFmpeg.

elfprince13 wrote:
It's an awful format, and nobody uses it for anything.

Are you referring to the container (ASF) or the codec (VC-1)? ASF does the job (it's certainly an improvement over AVI), and VC-1 is widely used (in Blu-ray, for example).
MP4 FTW.
comicIDIOT wrote:
MP4 FTW.

I've had mixed results with MP4s. They certainly save a lot of space, which is great for portable devices like my PSP or Wii memory card, but at the same time their quality doesn't hold a candle to Xvid/DivX AVI(which are admittedly a good bit larger)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours