This has most likely been asked before but is there a reason you went with a webhub rather than a custom gcnclient that did all the work locally? I mean it seems to me like that would just make more sense to me but I could just be crazy.
I think making it locally would slow it a lot down, but as I didn't program that I don't know. Smile
Sorunome wrote:
I think making it locally would slow it a lot down, but as I didn't program that I don't know. Smile
Well, letting the local computer do it is not too bad, but Jonimus, the main reason is so that I can easily do fixes and updates. For example, there were some glitches in the clipper that I discovered while testing and that I was able to completely fix with changes to just the clipper, without even needing to close the local client or the Gossamer application on my calculator. If I want to add new features to Gossamer, like better handling of RSS feeds, different types of clipping, a new useragent, or whatever, I can do it in one place and instantaneously.
In the future, could images perhaps be scaled-down and displayed in grayscale? Or is that far above the processing power and memory of a TI calculator?
Kerm, how will your client handle downloads of files containing Word documents, text files, and eventually ti-point files. Will there be a conversion to the most compatible on-calc file type, providing there is enough space, and the file is actually compatible?

Edit: Can this program handle all the "Facebook" features? Perhaps, make it able to parse facebook mobile.
DShiznit wrote:
In the future, could images perhaps be scaled-down and displayed in grayscale? Or is that far above the processing power and memory of a TI calculator?
Monochrome would be doable with the DCS GUI API; I don't feel like implementing grayscale. It's somewhere in the future. ACag, currently it handles none of those things.
This is a revolution.
DJ_O wrote:
This is a revolution.
Thanks. Smile I have everything done, including loading bars and page-wise scrolling, sitting in a zip on my computer; I'm working on trying to get Direct USB gCn to be a little more idiot-proof before I release everything.
KermMartian wrote:
Sorunome wrote:
Well, letting the local computer do it is not too bad, but Jonimus, the main reason is so that I can easily do fixes and updates. For example, there were some glitches in the clipper that I discovered while testing and that I was able to completely fix with changes to just the clipper, without even needing to close the local client or the Gossamer application on my calculator. If I want to add new features to Gossamer, like better handling of RSS feeds, different types of clipping, a new useragent, or whatever, I can do it in one place and instantaneously.

The other advantage of course is that if someone comes up with a PC-less solution to connect to calcnet (for example with an Ethernet controller on the Arduino), it won't require re-implementing functionality from the PC gcnclient.
That's absolutely correct. The more that the metahub server or gCn bridge running somewhere in the gCn network do (you guys can build service bridges too, very easily!), the less a PC-less solution would have to do, and the weaker and cheaper of a microcontroller could be used.
So how do you hook the calculator up to the internet? TI has some sort of wireless connection for the cx series, a device that plugs into the top of the calc. Could that be used somehow with wifi?
You use the gCn client software, and either a Arduino or the "$10" hub, or if you have a TI-84+/SE you can use the Direct USB cable.
souvik1997 wrote:
You use the gCn client software, and either a Arduino or the "$10" hub, or if you have a TI-84+/SE you can use the Direct USB cable.
Exactly this. There is not yet a wireless CALCnet hardware design, although if and when there is, it will not be the same as WiFi.
A few suggestions.

-When a user hits the 'back' button, the page returns to the position it was at when they went to the next page.
-Home button that takes you back to the gCn portal.
-Bookmarks.
-The address bar keeps the last URL you entered since you started the program and enters it when you open the address window. Pressing DEL once clears it back to http://
-WebHub is unreliable at best when it comes to URLs that don't begin with 'www.' such as URLs that contain a subdomain.
-"calc." subdomains, designed to work optimally with Gossamer, with zero images and text formatted to fit the screen better.

I thought of some other things, but I cannot recall them at this moment.
I think Gossamer is recognized under C6M, try browsing Cemetech Very Happy There are no images except for the header logo and those found in posts.
Kurt wrote:
A few suggestions.

-When a user hits the 'back' button, the page returns to the position it was at when they went to the next page.
That should be striaghtforward; I just need a word to remember that line offset prepended to the URL for each item in the history.
Quote:
-Home button that takes you back to the gCn portal
An excellent idea
Quote:
-Bookmarks.
Slightly harder to implement, but doable.
Quote:
-The address bar keeps the last URL you entered since you started the program and enters it when you open the address window. Pressing DEL once clears it back to http://
Another good idea. The first part is easy, the second is well-nigh impossible.
Quote:
-WebHub is unreliable at best when it comes to URLs that don't begin with 'www.' such as URLs that contain a subdomain.
Can you define "unreliable"?
Quote:
-"calc." subdomains, designed to work optimally with Gossamer, with zero images and text formatted to fit the screen better.
It's a good idea, but I've found that the clipping program I wrote does a decent job on pages that aren't impossibly insane thus far.

Quote:
I thought of some other things, but I cannot recall them at this moment.
Let me know when you think of them.
Just remembered a single other suggestion. When entering text into a field, pressing ENTER behaves as if you had clicked 'okay' or 'send'.

Though having worked with inputs before, I vaguely remember this requiring some kind of crazy interrupt.

And as for unreliable, the browser will sometimes attempt to load a page, but you are met with a blank field with no loading bars. Other times you get 404 errors when the page should be there.
Actually, I doubt if you've worked with Doors CS GUI API inputs, which I wrote myself from scratch. Smile They look great and are highly functional, but unfortunately they're so complicated that I couldn't add the capability for mid-input hooks or interrupts for the sake of speed and size. Fair enough on the unreliable. Do you have any particular URLs that misbehave most/all of the time that I can track down the issue with?
A few additional suggestions.

-The ability to open and display DCS7-specific file formats when clicked on, such as DE7 documents, MT3 files, and possibly integrating RIGview into DCS7 for image support
-A revamp on the "calc." subdomain idea, where instead of being optimised for use in Gossamer, pages are built using CS GUI API calls, allowing for text input, small images/icons, faster browsing, and an emphasis on the capabilities of DCS7, such as forums or a "calc." page for google searches.
This program is really awesome (it even loads the Facebook login page!), but there is one feature that would really take it to new levels. The ability to type on-calc into text-boxes would be awesome. Right now, I am just getting _____ dashed lines for the text entry. With that, though, it may be possible to actually log in (don't steal my passwords).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours