My school blocks all connections on ports other than the ones for html ( i think that's only port 80). Could we possibly set it up so that users can connect to the server using port 80 using a special url?
BigSmoke3320 wrote:
My school blocks all connections on ports other than the ones for html ( i think that's only port 80). Could we possibly set it up so that users can connect to the server using port 80 using a special url?

if it includes html then port 8080 is open too as its for secure html used for things such as secure bank information (encrypted things)
I'm not an expert on this by any means but I'm skeptical it would work well, if at all. Port 80 is indeed for HTTP requests. I assume you could have an intermediary server forward Port 80 to mc.cemetech.net:25565 but it can't be any server that hosts a website. You'd also have to tell the Minecraft client to connect to Port 80, because it will connect to 25565 by default.

I strongly recommend you focus on your education at school, hang out with friends during break and lunch and that you make time to play MC while at home or at a library. Cemetech will not accommodate those who have blocked ports by a network admin; if you buy a new router and all the sudden you can't connect to MC servers, we'll gladly help.
SeeGreatness wrote:
if it includes html then port 8080 is open too as its for secure html used for things such as secure bank information (encrypted things)
That is patently wrong- HTTPS is typically run on port 443; 8080 is alternate plaintext HTTP. Refer to the IANA port number registry.

Alex wrote:
forward Port 80 to mc.cemetech.net:25565 but it can't be any server that hosts a website
It could be the same physical machine as long as it had multiple IP addresses which our server does not- so you're right that we can't reasonably do it, but wrong in the details of why.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours