Thanks. Smile You are certainly welcome to borrow code and schematics for your project with attribution, as I will be publishing all the information about all the hardware and software before I declare the project complete. New updates: improved Android app, debugged Arduino->app data transmission, added diffusers made from the half-height Poland Spring water bottle caps.

*bump* Improved a number of problems with the Android control app, including problems with changing modes after powering PartyMode off and back on from the app. Experimented with notifications so that the PartyMode app can have a persistent icon in the status area, which changes based on whether a PartyMode system is connected. A sample notification can be seen below.

Remaining tasks:
(1) When low-voltage control PCBs from OSHPark arrive on Monday or so, populate and replace the existing breadboard-based controller.
(2) Update firmware on Arduino to stretch out the low-light parts of the fading sequence for Fading Lights mode.
(3) Document project hardware and software on Cemetech in the Projects and Archives section.
(4) Publish app to the Play store? Or release on Cemetech?
(5) Post news article and notify the usual places.

*bump* My boards finally arrived from OSHPark, much to my happiness. I started populating one, and nearly finished other than the necessary headers for output wires. I was able to test that the switching-mode power supply is working and produces 5.05V, the Bluetooth module works, an the ATmega appears to boot up properly. I will do more testing tomorrow evening.

*bump* I have finished PartyMode 2, although documentation is incomplete. I worked on the following tasks today:
- Removed incorrect 1uF resistor between 74HC959 latch pin and ground. The Arduino ShiftOut tutorial has an error.
- Due to an 74HC959 that got damaged during soldering, the fans did not work, and the IC would get very hot during operation. Painfully soldered the chip, replaced it with a 16-pin socket and a new IC. Tested the fans functioning. Here's how that ended up looking:

- Added sockets on the 12V power pans for easy connecting and disconnecting of power
- Added nifty D-sub socket with mechanical wire retention (ie, solderless) for sending the fan and LED signals from this low-voltage control board to the high-voltage control board.

- Finished constructing and testing the entire system. The only thing that doesn't seem to be working right is the MODE button, and I think that's because the firmware has the wrong input pin configured for the button.

A history of this long-running project, videos, and documentation will be coming soon.
Very impressive work, Kerm! The PCBs look great, too. Now you've built it, are you planning a disco to test it? Razz

KermMartian wrote:
A history of this long-running project, videos, and documentation will be coming soon.

Looking forward to seeing those.
Well I would say that looks marginally more like I won't fry my self on it next time I am over Razz. Very nice Cant wait to see it in action!

Also I would have probably used those sockets to begin with. Makes it so you can update the firmware as hiccups arise.
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Very impressive work, Kerm! The PCBs look great, too. Now you've built it, are you planning a disco to test it? Razz
I've had a few mini-raves with just me and some good techno, but you're right, I should have a party. Very Happy

Quote:
KermMartian wrote:

Looking forward to seeing those.
Thanks! One of my friends from college is helping me look for more photos and videos of the original PartyMode/DiscoScreens.

geekboy1011 wrote:
Well I would say that looks marginally more like I won't fry my self on it next time I am over Razz. Very nice Cant wait to see it in action!
Thanks! Capturing good video of it is going to be tricky, but I shall try.

Quote:
Also I would have probably used those sockets to begin with. Makes it so you can update the firmware as hiccups arise.
I always use a socket on the microcontroller. The thing I didn't use a socket on was the SN74HC959 chip, which is just a static logic chip.
A yeah that makes sense. I guess rusty soldering skills make that happen? Hey you got it working that is what matters!
Looks impressive, now you just need to build up a pretty box to put it all in so there's nothing exposed Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
I've had a few mini-raves with just me and some good techno, but you're right, I should have a party. Very Happy

Techno ftw! What sort of techno?
tifreak8x wrote:
Looks impressive, now you just need to build up a pretty box to put it all in so there's nothing exposed Smile
I think I'd rather have my handiwork there for everyone to see; the highest voltage there is 12V, and the highest current is about 300mA, so nothing close to fatal. I do plan to tack down that D-sub connector a bit and straighten out the wires connecting the LEDs to the "high" voltage board.
Wow! looks amazing. I hope you will be able to put up a video of it in action soon. I look forward to seeing it.
16aroth6 wrote:
Wow! looks amazing. I hope you will be able to put up a video of it in action soon. I look forward to seeing it.
Thanks! I threw a quick and terrible cellphone video into #cemetech last night, but I'm hoping to make a much more professional video that covers all of the modes to include with the announcement and information about the finished project.
*bumpity bump* If anyone wants to play with the Android app, the Arduino firmware, or the PCB design for the low-power controller, it's all available in a package in the Cemetech Archives now:

Download
PartyMode 2.0 Firmware, App, and PCB Design

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours