http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/prologic.bml

This is what my mother's work uses for their website, so I'm familiar with the interface. My dad wants to have his own website for his photography, so I'm wondering if this would be a good deal to take advantage of? I am familiar with HTML and FTP, so no worries there, I'm just curious if the price vs. features is right.
$7/month for a one-year contract or $6/month for a two-year contract is more than what I pay, but if they're dependable, it's not bad. Be very very aware that "unlimited" bandwidth and disk space is not at all what it appears, and that web hosting companies will always start to get unhappy if you use more than a reasonable amount of resources, and that of course they have disks and pipes shared among (potentially) a lot of customers, especially if they oversell their shared servers.
I'm gonna have to agree with Kerm here. I've bounced around quite a bit when it comes to hosting, and I've learned to try and stray away from hosting companies that offer "unlimited" everything.

I've been highly satisfied with my current hosting company, Stealthy Hosting. Don't let the "low" disk space and bandwidth fool you, they're very realistic. When purchasing shared hosting on "unlimited" sites, they typically start getting unhappy around those numbers. Customer service-wise, I've had absolutely no problems. They're quite friendly, and I've actually spoken with a few of them personally. Uptime is incredible and I seldom have issues with them (honestly!). When I do, they're always very quickly resolved.

comicIDIOT's photography website is actually hosted by/under me, and he barely uses 1GB. So, if space or bandwidth is something you're worrying about, it's probably not going to be a big deal. Especially if you're looking at hot linking and using image hosting websites (photobucket, flickr, etc) for hosting your photos.
swivelgames wrote:
comicIDIOT's photography website is actually hosted by/under me, and he barely uses 1GB. So, if space or bandwidth is something you're worrying about, it's probably not going to be a big deal. Especially if you're looking at hot linking and using image hosting websites (photobucket, flickr, etc) for hosting your photos.
I just host a portfolio, my dad's B24 Site for a little bit longer (as he rebuilds the plane) and my mailboxes.

I've been wanting to add a client aspect to my site for a while, which could push the figures a bit higher depending on flow and popularity. I'd probably be seeing figures around 3GB's and bandwidth a couple times higher than it is now.

So, if DShiznit's dad wanted to add a client portal he'd likely need something around 20GB's. I'd go no lower than 20GB's on a hosting plan if I had clients (even just four); Keeping their photos online for a contracted time, over (say) 45 photo shoots a year. And depending on what you, as the photographer publish: all photos?, in-focus, sharp and on subject photos?, 10% or more of all the photos taken?, etc. That could be strictly imposed by the photographer or set in a per-shoot contract.

DShiznit: Have your dad settle with something around 60-100GB's. That'll be plenty I imagine. Bandwidth, obviously unlimited.
Even unlimited bandwidth is, needless to say, technologically impossible and thus a concerning thing to offer. I technically get 2TB per month, which if you made the clearly fallacious generalization that Cemetech gets constant and consistent traffic, would cap me at 763,333 bytes per second, or 6,106,664 bps, aka 6.1Mbps. If I were consuming 6.1Mbps of my host's bandwidth day in and day out, they'd likely be very unhappy, and considering they're hosting hundreds of servers on what I'd doubt is more than a 100Mbps symmetric link to the Internets, possible redundant, it would be unrealistic for me to ever get anywhere near 2TB. To make a long story much much longer, I feel better with a host with a real numeric cap, even one that is ridiculously high.
I use dreamhost and while they are unlimited I have run into a limit when I had about 20+GB in mysql but I have never run into issues with web disk consumption where I have had at times >100GB of data floating around and I have had great performance. They are not the cheapest (lowest price is 8-9 dollars a month) they offer great support, an extreme amount of free extra features (like svn hosting, RTSP streaming, multiple full shell accounts, video transcoding, etc.) and I have had great uptime with them. I have not liked how they market their VPS plans however as they misrepresent them in my view but I have had no real issues with their shared hosting. They also offer 50GB of space for anything you want included unlike many providers who will not store anything other than pure web content.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours