Kerm, saw the article. WEWT! Very Happy

elfy, That stumped me a bit too! But, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's because "Schweizer" = "Swiss" in German Smile .sc is taken already by Scotland, so they defaulted to the ".ch"

Re: Typo, hmmm? Where?
elfprince13 wrote:
Woot, re: dcs.cemete.ch. Also, why on earth is Switzerland .ch?

KermMartian wrote:

:: cemete.ch/u2 - Redirect URLs with /uUSERID to the Cemetech profile page of the user with that ID, and /uUSERNAME to the profile page of the user with that username.

Typo?
Rather than just spamming "typo?", would you mind explaining what exactly you think is a typo? Or try out the feature to see how it works if you think the typo is in the URLs?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

:: cemete.ch/u2 - Redirect URLs with /uUSERID to the Cemetech profile page of the user with that ID, and /uUSERNAME to the profile page of the user with that username.

Typo?
Rather than just spamming "typo?", would you mind explaining what exactly you think is a typo? Or try out the feature to see how it works if you think the typo is in the URLs?

I assumed the typo was in the article, since I thought the plan was for /uN and /u/NAME, but right now the two appear to be interchangeable which I suppose isn't so much a typo as a bug (at least according to the plan).
Thomas, agreed. That's what I was posting about before. It seems like it would be a bit better in my opinion as well, since it sort of separates the username.
KermMartian wrote:
:: http://cemete.ch/u/NAME: user named NAME's profile
It's neither a typo nor a bug, since the current http://www.cemetech.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=BLAH accepts either a userID or a username for the BLAH.
Gotcha. What about allowing cemete.ch/u* and cemete.ch/u/*?
KermMartian wrote:
It's neither a typo nor a bug, since the current http://www.cemetech.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=BLAH accepts either a userID or a username for the BLAH.

perhaps we should add a second parameter to profile.php to separate those two?
swivelgames wrote:
Gotcha. What about allowing cemete.ch/u* and cemete.ch/u/*?
I'd be more than happy to allow both if you guys think it's a good idea; I just didn't see a point once I realized that the profile.php?mode=viewprofile did both.
I would like that, personally. Mainly because I think cemete.ch/u/swivelgames looks better than cemete.ch/uswivelgames, and I'm indifferent to cemete.ch/u111 and cemete.ch/u/111 Smile
Elfprince, are you ok with /u/* and /u* doing the same thing? Or is there a reason they should have different functionality that my general malaise at life is preventing me from seeing? Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince, are you ok with /u/* and /u* doing the same thing? Or is there a reason they should have different functionality that my general malaise at life is preventing me from seeing? Smile

both the cemete.ch\/u[.]* shortcuts and the profile viewing code should have different functionality for out-of-band differentiation between IDs and usernames.
Elfprince, I volunteer you to implement that fix. Wink But in all seriousness, what do you recommend? I think the least disruptive would be to maintain the current system, where u (using the standard get_userdata() function) is interpreted as a userID if an integer, a username otherwise, and add a new alternative option called username to the viewprofile include that would force it to be a username. Actually, has anyone checked if an all-numbers username is actually a valid username? And apparently yes, based on the userlist, but even all the built-in phpBB functions don't handle those properly.
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince, I volunteer you to implement that fix. Wink But in all seriousness, what do you recommend? I think the least disruptive would be to maintain the current system, where u (using the standard get_userdata() function) is interpreted as a userID if an integer, a username otherwise, and add a new alternative option called username to the viewprofile include that would force it to be a username. Actually, has anyone checked if an all-numbers username is actually a valid username? And apparently yes, based on the userlist, but even all the built-in phpBB functions don't handle those properly.

I'd be happy to add a && !isset($_GET['id_is_username']) to your existing code Razz Which phpBB functions fail on all numeric-usernames?
None of them fail, they just don't look like they should behave properly, as far as I can tell. I'll investigate this further this evening.
KermMartian wrote:
None of them fail, they just don't look like they should behave properly, as far as I can tell. I'll investigate this further this evening.

Any progress with the investigation, or were you thwarted by lack of time?
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Any progress with the investigation, or were you thwarted by lack of time?
Fraid not, I was indeed thwarted by lack of time spent instead working on other projects. Sad
Minor necro: I personally like using short URLs, so I made a quick bookmarklet for this. Works for both Cemetech (cemete.ch) and Omnimaga (omniurl.tk).
Code:
javascript:if((h=location).host=='www.omnimaga.org'){if(i=/topic=(\d+)/.exec(h=h.href)){i='http://omniurl.tk/'+i[1];if(h=/msg(\d+)/.exec(h))i+='/'+h[1];prompt('',i+'/')}}else if(h.host.indexOf('cemetech.net')+1){if(h=/(\w)=(\d+)/.exec(h.href))prompt('','http://cemete.ch/'+h[1]+h[2]+location.hash)};void(0)
EDIT: How did the forum know that that code was Javascript? Shock
AI Sentience, it's a wonder it still worked with all the SimmsAI computers down :O

Kidding, the forum has a Prettify JS script that highlights everything in a code box, as far as I'm aware it either does it's best to determine the code language then highlights it or it just highlights based on certain principles.

Very nice bookmarklet by the way! Is that a drag and drop into the bookmarks bar type of thing?
Deep, you should see if you can make it word for p=NNNNNN and news as well!
comicIDIOT wrote:
Very nice bookmarklet by the way! Is that a drag and drop into the bookmarks bar type of thing?
Yes it is. Just add a bookmark (however you do that in your browser) and use that as the URL.
KermMartian wrote:
Deep, you should see if you can make it word for p=NNNNNN and news as well!
Good idea. What's p?

EDIT: If you mean post numbers like http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160890#160890, it does work.

EDIT2: The bookmarklet has been updated so it includes the URL hash, so shortened links scroll straight to the post. Was that what you meant, KermMartian?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours