Real or Fake?
Real
 100%  [ 4 ]
Fake
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

KermMartian wrote:
willrandship wrote:
Oh, and on the LCD with HDMI bit: you can find all sorts of cheap 640x480 lcd tvs that take a composite input, which are usually around 7 inches diagonal.
Neat! One thing I've been wondering and haven't seen yet is if there's a small, cheap LCD, in the 320x240 to 640x480 range, which can connect to one of the onboard headers.

I have an old portable analog television from the 80s, any way to connect it's 6 inch CRT to this?
The price is the biggest factor for me. I can sacrifice not having the absolute best (and the beaglebone isn't a lot better, just a little) for being able to get 2 of them. Very Happy

And yes, you can as long as It's got a composite (yellow) input. If you only have coax, get a vcr and use it as a converter Razz
willrandship wrote:
The price is the biggest factor for me. I can sacrifice not having the absolute best (and the beaglebone isn't a lot better, just a little) for being able to get 2 of them. Very Happy
Exactly, that's my reasoning as well. I feel like the performance benefits of the Bone are relatively negligable compared with the >3x price (relative to the model A) or >2x (relative to the B). Razz[/quote]
That's what cluster computing is for, right? Besides, anything made for the Pi will run fine, since it's embedded, and anything not normally on the Pi won't be easy to get running no matter how awesome it is. At least, that should operate well as a general rule.
willrandship wrote:
That's what cluster computing is for, right? Besides, anything made for the Pi will run fine, since it's embedded, and anything not normally on the Pi won't be easy to get running no matter how awesome it is. At least, that should operate well as a general rule.
Actually, since so much stuff can be built for ARM these days, and almost anything Linux can be compiled for ARM, since it's a target that gcc supports well, I'd argue that there's not a lot that can be run on the Bone that can't be run on the Raspberrry Pi.
Here's an interesting interview with David Braben:
Quote:
So is it safe to assume there will be an analogue to BBC Basic on Raspberry Pi?
Well, we have BBC Basic. It’s not an analogue, it’s the BBC Basic.

Very Happy
benryves wrote:
Quote:

Very Happy
Haha, I bet that makes you stupendously happy. Very Happy speaking of the Raspberry Pi, I can't help but notice that it's November 25th, and the Pi was supposed to be out in November...
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Quote:

:D
Haha, I bet that makes you stupendously happy. :D speaking of the Raspberry Pi, I can't help but notice that it's November 25th, and the Pi was supposed to be out in November...

Yeah... They say on their page, that it's supposed to be late November when it will released. Maybe they've changed the release date...

EDIT:

The Raspberry Pi FAQ wrote:
When will the device be available to purchase?
We anticipate the device will be available to the general public later in 2011 – we were hoping to hit the end of November, but right now December’s looking more likely.
Well, I've seen enough to be convinced that it's probably not vaporware, but I'm still frustrated that it's taking so long. At one point I believe that same FAQ questions said "...end of October...November's looking ore likely".
That's definitely why it's a good thing they didn't do preorders.

Anyone remember OpenPandora?
willrandship wrote:
That's definitely why it's a good thing they didn't do preorders.

Anyone remember OpenPandora?
That eventually came out, just two or three years late, right? I believe that our very own calc84maniac had preordered one of those devices.
Technically it's still sending out the second batch.....Way off schedule. The sad thing is that it's about as powerful as the Pi. Time matters.

Still, they're getting closer, and they have fewer parts that can go wrong (no case, fewer external parts, they have close connections to their chip supplier, etc.) as compared to OpenPandora.
Very true. I'm getting a little anxious about the Pi schedule too now, though; they're about two months behind and just talking about a 100-unit batch for now. Sad
Just saw this pop up on winlive:

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/28/9773031-would-you-buy-a-25-computer

Reading through some of the comments on the article made me laugh.

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's wonderful. It takes me back to when we used a cassette tape too program those old computers and how we marveled at having 5 kilobytes of memory. What an advancement.

I remember tapes too. Thanks so much for making me feel old.

That one in particular :p

Really enjoyed the video of quake 3 being played on it, quite impressive I'd say.
tifreak8x wrote:

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/28/9773031-would-you-buy-a-25-computer

Funny that you said that; now their site is dead! Razz

Code:
Database Error - Error establishing a database connection

I just hope the general public doesn't try buying one of these...
It's still up for me here.
alberthrocks wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Funny that you said that; now their site is dead! :P

Code:
Database Error - Error establishing a database connection

I just read the article, and the site was fine. (9:45 AM, EST)

alberthrocks wrote:
I just hope the general public doesn't try buying one of these...

Why not? They're a great piece of technology, even if that technology is very much mainstream. It's great to get something into the hands of kids that they can program with. Calculators are fine and all, but this stuff is cheaper, and it has exponentially grater possibilities. It's also cool to have a cellphone sized computer that isn't locked in, like so many vendors make them. I really can't see any disadvantages to them (well, other than speed restrictions, but that's what you get from an ARM).
but from our dev standpoint it's no restriction Razz and for their power consumption they get incredible performance compared to any PC. Last I checked my PC is using a 480W PSU, and even if it's not running fully used it's sucking at least 200W at any given time. Now, is my computer better than ~180 Raspberry Pis? Not a chance!
seana11 wrote:

Why not? They're a great piece of technology, even if that technology is very much mainstream. It's great to get something into the hands of kids that they can program with. Calculators are fine and all, but this stuff is cheaper, and it has exponentially grater possibilities.

That technology isn't exactly mainstream... and the only thing they can gain from it is lead poisoning. I'm not against them getting one, but I don't see any possible gain from this. Besides, the mainstream public doesn't know how to set up the SD card anyway, nor use this board correctly... Razz

seana11 wrote:
It's also cool to have a cellphone sized computer that isn't locked in, like so many vendors make them. I really can't see any disadvantages to them (well, other than speed restrictions, but that's what you get from an ARM).
If we're talking about making this into a phone, you need a touchscreen and some kind of display... something that you can't find in your local store and potentially assemble yourself without the right tools... Razz

Now, if this was integrated into EE classes, Foundations of Tech, etc... then we're talking! Smile (This is the original intent, anyway.)

And ARM isn't very slow, contrary to popular opinion. See this video for the surprise. Wink
Isn't that one a vid of the original BeagleBoard? I think I've seen it before.

He said "cell-phone sized" by the way. Not directly saying he wanted to make a phone Wink He'd also either need some sort of SIM adapter or a 3G connection for calls.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours