while(temp != NULL) {
    prevPtr = temp;
    temp = temp->next;
    free(prevPtr);
  }
}

No need to add one more layer?

Nope, the extra layer is required.

EDIT: typedef'ing the pointer away is just confusing everyone (my apologies). Here's the new code with the *'s back ("NodePtr" is now "node_t *" which is "struct node *"):

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h> /* Now we can use macros like NULL and EXIT_SUCCESS */

typedef struct node {
   int data;
   struct node *next;
} node_t; /* Now we can use the moniker "node_t" instead of "struct node" everywhere */

/* Function prototypes: */
void DisplayList(node_t * head);
void Insert(node_t * * head, int value);
void whatever(char **out);
void someotherfunc();
void Delete(node_t ** head);

int main() {
   node_t * head = NULL;
   Insert(&head, 10); /* Update head of list whenever you do something to the list */
   Insert(&head, 20);
   Insert(&head, 30);
   Delete(&head);

DisplayList(head);
   return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

void DisplayList(node_t * head) {
   node_t * temp;
   for(temp = head; temp != NULL; temp = temp->next) { /* Make sure to check if node is NULL; trying to dereference a null pointer is very bad */
      printf("%d\n",temp->data);
   }
}

void Insert(node_t ** head, int value) {
   node_t * newnode = (node_t *)malloc(sizeof(*newnode)); /* Create a new node */
   newnode->data = value;
   newnode->next = *head;
   *head = newnode;
}

void Delete(node_t ** head) {
  node_t ** temp = head; /* You want to make a copy of head to traverse the list */
  node_t * prevPtr; /* Pointer to a node; notice there is only 1 asterisk */
  while(temp != NULL) {
    prevPtr = *temp; /* Dereference temp b/c it is a "double pointer" */
    *temp = (*temp)->next;
    free(prevPtr); /* Same here */
  }
}
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
These are both good points, but as far as this being "useless, ugly, and not standard practice", take a look at pg. 146 of K&R; it typedefs a pointer the same way in their linked list examples as I have.

Your counter to my "it's useless, ugly, and not standard practice" is a reference to a book written about a version of C nobody codes in anymore where return types of functions was assumed to be ints, and there were no void functions at all? Razz

(yes, I know K&R has been updated to ANSI C)
Actually, everyone still uses K&R, at least in undergraduate and graduate CS and engineering academia. Smile At least in my experience in two top schools as a student and instructor respectively.
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, everyone still uses K&R, at least in undergraduate and graduate CS and engineering academia. Smile At least in my experience in two top schools as a student and instructor respectively.

No one uses the first edition of K&R, hence the joke.
KermMartian wrote:
I never touched K&R.
KermMartian wrote:

*facepalm*

The first edition of K&R was about K&R C, which nobody codes in as everyone has switched to ANSI C. Jeez Kerm, way to fail at knowing the history of C Razz
I know full-well the history of C and what K&R C looks like; hell, I had to write lexing and parsing in my compiler to understand K&R-style function declarations. Sad I thought we were talking about the book in general instead of the specific non-ANSI coding style of the first edition, though. Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours