Nope. Federal regulations. If they can regulate private schools on how they're allowed to reveal student information, they can presumably regulate other businesses on how they're allowed to reveal information. It doesn't require government takeovers of anything.

Regulations don't mean anything will come of it, but it's better than nothing IMHO.
I'll take that. But depending on how it's written, and how much power it gives, such a law could potentially be misused to put pressure on or even get rid of companies the controlling party does not like.
trololo

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/06/lulzsec-sony-again/
Now the continued problems I've had redeeming and downloading both of my two free games make more sense.
You'd think Sony would have figured out how to secure their systems the first time around. It's just getting laughable now.
Here it goes, here it goes, here it goes again: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/93000-sony-accounts-breached/
oh boy, look at that, sony was hacked... makes me happy I game on my PC, calculator, and GameBoy.
I hear something like this is going to happen with facebook too `-`
qazz42 wrote:
oh boy, look at that, sony was hacked... makes me happy I game on my PC, calculator, and GameBoy.
I hear something like this is going to happen with facebook too `-`
Correction, they weren't hacked. Those are the accounts that either never updated or updated then reverted back to their defaults; Sony can't protect stupid users.

The article wrote:
He wrote that intruders tested a “massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords” at web sites for several of its properties — Sony Entertainment Network (SEN), PlayStation Network (PSN) and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE). Most of the log-in credentials failed to gain the intruders access, but about 60,000 credentials matched those use by SEN and PSN users; another 33,000 matched credentials for SOE accounts.
What else is new. That is why I never use sony unless I have too.

(If it is not ok to talk about hacked hardware feel free to delete this)
Instead of using psn I just hacked my psp and I buy the umd and backup the ISO. (Only for personal use of course) It is alot less headace then PSN. Plus It saves money if people happen to hack it (like always happens) and gets my debit card number.
What bothers me is how they didn't say that many of these accounts were incorrect, just that the passwords were. That makes me think that the list they tried was from one of the earlier breaches and no one bothered to change their pass. On a network as large as PSN I have trouble believing that that many pass and UID combo's would match a DB from another site. Two online places like facebook to gmail would be one thing, since they are both online and you can use your email to login to facebook, but the chances that that many people have the same UID on PSN as some random online service is much lower.
TheStorm wrote:
What bothers me is how they didn't say that many of these accounts were incorrect, just that the passwords were. That makes me think that the list they tried was from one of the earlier breaches and no one bothered to change their pass. On a network as large as PSN I have trouble believing that that many pass and UID combo's would match a DB from another site. Two online places like facebook to gmail would be one thing, since they are both online and you can use your email to login to facebook, but the chances that that many people have the same UID on PSN as some random online service is much lower.
Judging from the word "massive" I'd argue the list was fairly large, perhaps as long as the accounts that were compromised earlier in the year.

The article does state that Sony believes that users used their same credentials on other sites - among them Sony's services. Though, I don't believe that, for the same reasons you mentioned; however I - and other PSN members - use an e-mail to sign into PSN too which my PSN ID is affiliated with, so it's entirely plausible.
As much as I love to hear about the failures of corporations that bully people as much as Sony has, can we wait until /after/ the Vita is released to destroy them please? They do seem to be moving in the direction of more open software anyway...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours