Whenever the chat box refreshes, it sends the user to the top of the page. This makes it extremely difficult to read the forums, post, etc. I have to keep my pointer on the scroll-bar at all times to jump back down to the position of the page I was originally in. The site is becoming virtually unusable for Opera users.

The only work-arounds so far aren't practical solutions:

- Switch to the mobile site theme. This kills the chat box and resolves the problem, but you're stuck with a mobile version of the site on a non-mobile browser. It looks awful, strips too many features and is unwieldy.

- Disable Javascript for cemetch.net. Results in a loss of many functions, other than the chat box. Not worth it.

There must be some way to disable the chat box, or otherwise block it as an individual element via Opera's built-in ad-blocking tools. Any ideas how to go about this?
Not sure how exactly you'd tell Opera to block it, but the relevant script seems to be included like this:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/saxjax.js?2" />

Of course, a profile option to disable SAX would be the superior option.
I have been utterly unable to replicate the problem when installing and testing Cemetech on non-nightly builds of Opera myself; thus far only you and Benryves have reported it, and I think it might have disappeared for Ben. Sad I replicated it on a single nightly build of Opera, but even on that I could find absolutely nothing significant that could be causing it. Sad
Zera wrote:
- Switch to the mobile site theme. This kills the chat box and resolves the problem, but you're stuck with a mobile version of the site on a non-mobile browser. It looks awful, strips too many features and is unwieldy.
My dream goal is to make C6M a lightweight version of the site; hence why many of the pages have templates.

If you'd like to request features, there's a link in my signature.
Is it possible that my configuration could be causing the problem? Opera allows the user to extend its functionality with both UserJS scripts and an extensions engine. (similar to Firefox) Most of the UserJS scripts and extensions I have are site-specific fixes that shouldn't affect Cemetech. I also have a script to block Flash elements, until I explicitly allow the site to display them.

I leave cookies, referrer information and some script globally disabled. I only allow them on a site-per-site basis. I tried allowing everything for the cemetech domain, but that didn't make any difference.
I'm afraid it's very much still there for me - I disabled scripting on Cemetech to avoid it. There is one other issue - if you scroll down the page slightly and hover over one of the menu bar buttons the site snaps back up to the top in the same way as the chat widget. That issue has been there for as long as I can remember visiting Cemetech; the chat one appeared at about the same time as the box that pops up to notify you when someone mentions your name was added.
For now, I decided to disable JavaScript. It's terrible that I have to resort to this, but there seems to be no other option.

Good-bye, JS forum functions. I will certainly miss thee...
I don't seem to have this problem in Safari, and when I was testing the saxjax notifications, I don't remember having this issue.
Zera wrote:
For now, I decided to disable JavaScript. It's terrible that I have to resort to this, but there seems to be no other option.

Good-bye, JS forum functions. I will certainly miss thee...
What do you lose other than SAX, header hovers, and automatic tag insertion in post composition? Also, graphmastur, this is an Opera-only issue.
I had this problem since Opera version 10.60, but it only happened on the reply/modify/topic page.

However, since Opera 11.10, it's even worse: it happens on every page and happens even when I am logged out! Shock
DJ_O wrote:
I had this problem since Opera version 10.60, but it only happened on the reply/modify/topic page.

However, since Opera 11.10, it's even worse: it happens on every page and happens even when I am logged out! Shock
Wait, really? If you're sure of that, and other people can replicate that, we could make huge steps towards solving this issue.

Code:
Version

Build

Platform
Mac OS X

System

I see no issues on Cemetech. Running the latest version for OS X as well.
Is there's anything specific I should look at?

The nav hovers are fine, didn't log in to verify SAX though.
11.10 has been released for Mac OS X, too, which has quite a few engine changes from 11.01.

The issue with the top navigation bar manifests itself if you scroll down the page a little then hover.
Benryves, does it happen for you even when logged out the way that DJ_Omnimaga mentioned?
Hovering over the header buttons does, yes, but that's always done that. I can't find any other way to cause the browser to jump to the top of the page when logged out, though; as the SAX widget isn't shown, that doesn't cause any problems.
benryves wrote:
Hovering over the header buttons does, yes, but that's always done that. I can't find any other way to cause the browser to jump to the top of the page when logged out, though; as the SAX widget isn't shown, that doesn't cause any problems.
Indeed, its entire Javascript functionality doesn't get loaded for clients that aren't logged in to save trouble and bandwidth. I'm intrigued to hear that the header glitches even with SAX not present, though, because that tells me that something in my pages makes Opera want to scroll up any time Javascript changes anything on the page.
It's certainly very weird. I do most of my development work in Opera, and it's my day-to-day browser of choice, yet I've never seen any other site exhibit this behaviour. I don't really know what to suggest, sorry!
benryves wrote:
It's certainly very weird. I do most of my development work in Opera, and it's my day-to-day browser of choice, yet I've never seen any other site exhibit this behaviour. I don't really know what to suggest, sorry!
It's not your fault (other than being an Opera user Wink ), but I appreciate your testing and feedback. I'll try to get a chance to do further investigation of this today.
benryves wrote:
11.10 has been released for Mac OS X, too, which has quite a few engine changes from 11.01.
Hm, there's no update in the Mac App Store. Ah well. Downloading 11.10.

Quote:
The issue with the top navigation bar manifests itself if you scroll down the page a little then hover.
I'll test that out as well.

I see what you're saying in 11.10, the same doesn't happen in 11.01.
Ok until this morning, I did not realize that the scrolling up when logged out happened right when hovering my mouse cursor over the navigation at the top.

However, as of now, somebody just highlighted me on SAX while I was reading your posts and I did not have the scrolling up glitch happen. It happened from the Post page, though, when Swivel signed in.

By the way I got Windows 7 64-bit.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours