I decided to actually make a game for the Prizm, and what resulted was Checkers Smile So far, you move using the F1 and F2 keys to switch between pieces (it moves across the rows, F2 to the right, and F1 to the left). F6 resets the game, and 7, 9, 1 and 3 move the piece in the direction from the 5 (7 moves up and to the left, for instance). When you land on the very top or bottom row, you become a king and can move anywhere. That is pretty much it for controls.

I also need help with getting new sprites (my sprites look bad, I used blue instead of black somehow...) and an icon (I have it picked out already, and edited. I just need the .BMP file for it).
Unselected:

Selected:

I'm also not sure if you can do this yet (I should test it...), but you might be able to rename the file and it keep that name on the calculator. If so, you could do that instead of the awful name I chose for it :/ Anyways, here is the download link. So, I guess this is the third Prizm game written, woo! Very Happy Any comments, suggestions, hate letters, etc are welcome, though I don't know how much further I will bring this game as it is my very first C game that I've let myself call "finished".

Edit: And here is the source code:
SPRITE.CPP
sprites.c
_player1537 wrote:
I'm also not sure if you can do this yet (I should test it...), but you might be able to rename the file and it keep that name on the calculator. If so, you could do that instead of the awful name I chose for it :/
Nope, that doesn't really work. There are five different names stored in the g3a file (not including localizations!), and renaming it only changes one.
Very nice, Tanner! How large should the sprites be?
JosJuice wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
I'm also not sure if you can do this yet (I should test it...), but you might be able to rename the file and it keep that name on the calculator. If so, you could do that instead of the awful name I chose for it :/
Nope, that doesn't really work. There are five different names stored in the g3a file (not including localizations!), and renaming it only changes one.

Ah, I had a feeling that would be the case :/ Also, could someone make screenshots when they get a chance? I don't have a camera Sad

souvik1997 wrote:
Very nice, Tanner! How large should the sprites be?

Thanks! The sprites should be 27x27 in full color Smile I also meant to add the source to the first post, will do that now.
Alright, I'll try to make some sprites when I can.
ooohh, pretty cool tanner, I cant wait to test this out when I get a prizm Very Happy

I hope eventually there will be a calc-calc version so that way people do not have to huddle on one calc. (unless I read it wrong and that is how this checkers game works, in which case ignore this Razz)
Nice Tanner, I'll try this out when I get home, and take some screenshots if someone doesn't beat me to it. As for renaming, what I've been doing is just creating a new project and copying all the old code in.
Qazz42, sounds like you're asking for CALCnet to me. Very Happy Souvik and other sprite people, keep in mind that saving from Paint in 256-color Bitmap format is what needs to be done. Tanner, great job, I look forward to screenshots so I can post the long delayed news article. Regarding your icon, any reason it's not centered?
I didn't center it because I figured it would still look fine if it were against the side. Also, if I really wanted to, I could add a timer to the side of it and call it done. If it ends up just looking bad, I could center it.
_player1537 wrote:
I didn't center it because I figured it would still look fine if it were against the side. Also, if I really wanted to, I could add a timer to the side of it and call it done. If it ends up just looking bad, I could center it.
That's fair. In the future, I'd recommend that we all try sticking to the gray gradient that Casio uses as their "selected" background just for the sake of consistency of OCD, but I'm not 100% convinced about that.
Any way I could get an image of that gray selected gradient? It kind of bugged me too, but I had no idea what the colors were Sad
I kind of like my backgrounds for GoL and Chars, but I mostly agree that we should try and stick to their style. That being said, I can't quite get their gradient perfect, so I mostly just make stuff up.
_player1537 wrote:
Any way I could get an image of that gray selected gradient? It kind of bugged me too, but I had no idea what the colors were Sad
I've been working on making a bmp of it for a while. I might have it up soon if I don't get distracted with something else...
I've made a perfect bitmap, but when I layer my icon on top, Paint messes up the colors in order to optimize the full palette. :/
*bump* So I didn't realize that this project was finished, Tanner. Would you care to send me a g3a binary to test, then release it to the archives? Smile
Dude, I tried this out, and it was just a checkerboard with a rainbow square thing that keeps moving to the right. Sad I'd really like a game of checkers on my Prizm. Neutral
jet322 wrote:
Dude, I tried this out, and it was just a checkerboard with a rainbow square thing that keeps moving to the right. Sad I'd really like a game of checkers on my Prizm. Neutral

Hey! Sounds like Nyan Catz! Very Happy
..So is it finished or not? Confused
I've tried to compile this on my own, but I don't exactly know what i'm doing. I'd really like a checkers game, but I don't know how to write one myself. All this add-in is is some kind of monochrome checkerboard with circles, and a small rainbow square! Sad I love the idea, and really hope you continue with this. but for now, I'll just sulk about it. Wink
Heh, I did this a _long_ time ago Razz I'd love to redo it, and I may actually do so sometime soon, now that you've reminded me of it. I'd probably, no definitely, redo the sprites for everything and make the entire UI interesting and not-an-eye-sore Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours