This is a Mario Kart game I'm working on for the Casio CG50. It currently has a semi-3D effect that runs on the calculator at 60fps, drifting with boosts, a timer and a lap count (though currently if you reverse over the finish line it counts a lap). It is made using gint rather than PrizmSDK as it's better for games in many ways (e.g. it lets you use the full screen area).

I've had some help from others, particularly Lephe who has helped hugely with optimisation and using gint, and Crazy_Fox2 is working on a version for the greyscale TI calculators which is more impressive considering the weak hardware but is mostly separate from mine at the moment.

It may work on the CG10/20, but this is untested and it would run at half speed (maybe 75% with an overclock). In the future I will add frameskipping so the speed is right and ask someone who has one to test it.

Download g3a file
Browser port with Emscripten
Discord server

It has a save state feature but it's not very useful at the moment since it only saves to RAM so it doesn't persist when you exit the game.

Controls (calculator):
Accelerate: Shift
Hop: Alpha or 7
Steer: D-pad
Save state: F1
Load state (or reset if no state is saved): F2
Toggle FPS display: EXE

Controls (browser):
Accelerate: X
Hop: Z
Steer: Arrow keys
Save state: Q
Load state (or reset if no state is saved): W
Toggle FPS display: Not supported (yet?)

Source code (currently very messy, and contains some files it shouldn't)
That looks nice and promising! I think on the fx-CG10/20 I got speed in Outrun that was faster at max overclock speed than what the author was getting on the CG50/Graph 90+E at regular speed, but not by much, and max overclock speed on a fx-CG10/20 eats the battery set very fast. I'm downloading this now Smile

EDIT: Perfect 60 FPS at 3rd setting (117.96 MHz CPU) with Ptune2. Anything higher won't make a difference so I'll probably stick to that frequency. I really need to get new batteries to test further, though. I am very impressed so far, especially the fact that you can drift after jumping like in the original GBA game.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
That looks nice and promising! I think on the fx-CG10/20 I got speed in Outrun that was faster at max overclock speed than what the author was getting on the CG50/Graph 90+E at regular speed, but not by much, and max overclock speed on a fx-CG10/20 eats the battery set very fast. I'm downloading this now Smile

Thanks! Just tried setting my CG50's clock speed to the equivalent of max overclock on a CG10/20 and it runs at 52FPS, which is better than I thought, though I don't have an actual CG10/20 to test on

Edit: Oh, I saw your edit, is that on a CG10/20? I didn't know it could go that high
Yep, on my old fx-CG10 actually. I'm still impressed that it can somehow match the CG50 speed, although I bet power usage is better on the latter.
Loving this! Any recent progress?
Wow, this is really polished, nice job! Producing an emscripten version as well was inspired. Have you considered making the background pan?
KermMartian wrote:
Wow, this is really polished, nice job! Producing an emscripten version as well was inspired. Have you considered making the background pan?

The background pans in the PlanetCasio version: https://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/topic17121-1-mario-kart-game-work-in-progress.html
Oh I didn't know there was a different version! I'm loading this to my cg10 now. Smile

(I almost said cg50 by mistake, as if my cg10 magically turned into one)

EDIT Nice work as always. One suggestion, though, for more realisticness would be to make the cloud backdrop move at the same speed as or faster than the mountain backdrop as right now the clouds are doing a severe violation of the rules of perspective Very Happy . I can't wait for more amazing features and I'm still stunned that the game runs at the speed it does despite the resolution

(ok I use overclocking but it's essentially turning my cg10 into a pythonless cg50 if I do this, no more no less, as using higher frequencies drain batteries really fast). Smile
I have managed to get roughly 22.5-second laps, but I have not practised enough to manage doing it for 3 laps in a row. I'll try to upload a video when I can.
I tried uploading it to my CG50 but it wont install the add-on Sad . I know its on the calculator, but its not installing. Any idea why this is?
Did you put it in the main folder of the storage memory? G3A files are not registered when they are in a subfolder.
I fixed it. For some reason it was because I was on a chromebook, and I was transferring files through the shell (crouton) which recognized the USB as fake and wouldn't let me transfer stuff. I got it working now. By the way, I appreciate your work with gint and fxSDK, and I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any tutorials for learning to use either library to create (particularly 3D) games. Thanks & Merry Christmas!
Glad it worked out! There aren't many tutorials to go around; there is an introduction to gint on this Planète Casio topic. It's in French; the Google Translate translation is not great but it gets the information across. I'm wondering if I should translate it fully. As far as 3D games are concerned, there are no ready-to-use libraries out there, with the closest being the now-dropped Windmill project by Ninestars (topic here; download at the end) from which you could draw inspiration (and code).

Let me quickly point out that 3D on the fx-CG series (mainly the fx-CG 50) lives in the "possible, but only with blood and compromises" performance category. It's incredibly fun to play around, but don't set your expectations too high; you won't be able to simply render a Minecraft frame at 30 FPS with a naive C implementation. This Mario Kart game also went through many optimizations, so the boasted 60 FPS is impressive but still challenging to reach.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours