Does anyone know of any good prizm basic tutorials or maby even some simple C tutorials

Someone please help me
spud2451 wrote:
Someone please help me
We either don't know of any ourselves or haven't had the time to post.

Myself, I don't know of any. Others may and haven't been online since you created the topic. In the mean time, feel free to Google your request, you may find a suitable result in the first three links.
I've already googled it and cant find one that has
anything on colors or good matrix stuff!

Can someone please help me I cant find any good
C tutorials for the casio prizm?

COME ON!!!
Can someone please help me Mad
spud2451 wrote:
Can someone please help me I cant find any good C tutorials for the casio prizm?

No such thing exists. Those of us who have been working on the Prizm are pretty experienced C hackers already, and nobody has seen a need (/motivation) to write a tutorial for developing programs in C on that device.

A quick google will reveal any number of good C tutorials. As far as adapting your understanding of C to the Prizm, it's mostly a matter of learning what to use instead of the standard library (since we haven't ported a standard library of any sort, and nobody seems to care much about the lack of one).
Alternatively, pick up a copy of K&R C, which is more or less the definitive book on C (I keep a copy around, and I'm quite experienced with the language- likely other people around here do the same).

See libfxcg for the basic set of system calls. There's no real documentation on those (although I suspect prizmwiki has some), but I'm sure somebody could provide help with those if/when you reach that point. Some of the functions are pretty obvious based just on the parameters (eg Bdisp_SetPoint_VRAM()).

spud2451 wrote:
COME ON!!!
Can someone please help me Mad

Ah, an excellent attitude. Nobody has a useful response within an hour, so the anger comes out to play. Evil or Very Mad
I seriously need to finish those Casio BASIC tutorials...
Do you even know C for the computer? I'd suggest you at least start on that, read ~5 books about the subject, and then start working on the Prizm. Also, chill with the whole attitude of "You're here to help me." attitude. Nobody is being paid to help you with your problems. It's also much less likely that you will get help if you don't write and formulate your thoughts in an intelligent manor.
_player1537 wrote:
intelligent manor.

Um, yeah. I was in need of some amusement there. Back on topic we shall go.

~5 books seems like a bit much to me, but meh. Examples are king, and trying to write something is more useful than just reading. The trick is finding some project which will allow you to ease into language features, which tends to be difficult.
Meh. Manner.
Tari wrote:
There's no real documentation on those (although I suspect prizmwiki has some)
There's not much documentation about the syscalls on the wiki yet, sadly. It's mostly a very incomplete list of the syscall names: http://prizmwiki.omnimaga.org/wiki/Syscalls
While we're ranting and raving, let me interject that any Casio FX-9860 BASIC tutorial will be almost perfect for teaching you Prizm BASIC, other than the missing color commands (since the 9860 has a monochrome LCD). There are quite a few such tutorials out there; one that I browsed through was itself a topic on casiocalc.org.
Note that there are a few Prizm BASIC glitches, though, such as with special characters display. Often they won't display at all with locate or display only after pressing ON/AC.
Spud, might I share with you a reason to why you're getting frustrated, and why you shouldn't be?

First, I *know* what you feel. You aren't that experienced with programming, yet you still want to go far out and make big things like Prizm OSes, complex games, etc. I felt am urge to make games and that sort of things 2 years ago when I took a JavaScript class and thought I was like a programming wiz/prodigy or something. I'll tell you, I thought I was so good I could go by with a few tutorials for languages like C++ and Java. Boy was I upset for a while. I still thought I was a wiz, so after 5 days on a C++ tutorial, I tried making an MMORPG. Problem was, I didn't get far; I wasn't sure how "cout" and "cin" worked, I thought OpenGL was a game maker tool like GameMaker, and I thought strings were just chains of threads locked together binarily (and I thought threads were like buffers of memory, and that buffers had something to do with Internet connections -- no joke). In short, I failed before I even began.

A year later, I decided to be more serious with my learning, to take things one step at a time. I realized I wasn't advanced at all; so I decided to work my way up the chain -- BASIC to Axe to Java to Ruby to C. I learned a lot in that year -- I now consider myself at the very least an intermediate programmer (never call yourself either advanced nor expert without either a degree or a highly successful project you engineered, you will look rather n00bish to the masses). If I didn't slow down my rate of learning, I would have learned nothing and forgotten everything I read 2 days after I read it and "learned" it.

In short, please be *very* patient with learning. It takes time. A shipload of it. Don't rush through on anything; you learn 1000x more stuff when you try to go at a 10x slower pace with things. Perhaps if you go too slow, you'll also take forever to get to higher levels of knowledge; but just from speculation I can only guess you're trying to be impatient and learn things *way* too fast. Slow down, master a more basic language first, ask for help (we'll give you it! Be patient Wink) and then move on.
Going off what Ashbad said, I'd recommend sticking with Casio/TI BASIC for your first Prizm projects. Having a platform specific form of C without the standard library for your first language is like having a Le Mans Ferrari as a first car. You shouldn't.

Secondly, might I recommend this, this and perhaps even some of this? If you want to take _player's advice, then "Code: The Hidden language of Computer Hardware and Software" by Charles Petzold is an excellent place to start.

As for a Casio BASIC tutorial, here's a slightly outdated one I had laying around.

http://www.mediafire.com/?flbn8ld6x50y76l
Thanks everyone I think that you all are right. I do have an impatient attitude and I was being a little pushy and I'm sorry for that. You're also right that i should take it slow and a appreciate that. Thanks for all the help

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours