Just tried it -- very nice and robust now Smile great job! One thing I did notice is that you are able to blow up a mine on your first turn; AFAIK, the algorithm for minesweeper lets you click a position, and it never is a mine, but rather a number, and after you pick that the map is generated. Just a thought.
merthsoft wrote:

will be adding:
- Icon for the home screen

Are you planning on changing the icon? I really enjoy the one you have right now.
I'll probably keep the same mine, but change the background to fit better with the other icons. That being said, I think the picture may have been ripped from somewhere online, and I don't actually know the license for that, so I have to figure that out.
Ashbad wrote:
Just tried it -- very nice and robust now Smile great job! One thing I did notice is that you are able to blow up a mine on your first turn; AFAIK, the algorithm for minesweeper lets you click a position, and it never is a mine, but rather a number, and after you pick that the map is generated. Just a thought.
I know some programs do that, though not every one.

I like how this game looks—really classic—but to me the 3s kinda look like 8s, though I guess that's not much of a problem unless God help us all. (Reference?)
Hmm, yeah, I can see how they kind of look like 8s, but they're curlier. That being said, I know what the 8s look like, so I might be biased. What's everyone else think?
I know you're asking for other opinions, but I have something else to say: I think the GUI without the numbers looks blocky and "solid" (which isn't bad at all), while the curly numbers are a bit more ... curly? Not sure how to put it, but do you get what I'm saying? Just some ideas.
I think they are fine the 3s curl in, the 8s look like 8s
Deep Thought wrote:
I think the GUI without the numbers looks blocky and "solid" (which isn't bad at all), while the curly numbers are a bit more ... curly? Not sure how to put it, but do you get what I'm saying? Just some ideas.
Um, I don't think I do. That's the style, a contrast between the "closed" tiles and the "open" ones.
I think he is saying there is a big contrast with the blocky squares and the curved numbers.
And I'm saying that's the point.
Quote:
That's the style, a contrast between the "closed" tiles and the "open" ones.
Oh hey, those are some pretty graphics you got in there.
tifreak8x wrote:
Oh hey, those are some pretty graphics you got in there.
Thanks!

Progress tonight. I made it so when you first click, it will ever be a bomb (Andrew suggested I also make it so it's always a space with no bomb neighbors, thoughts?). I also added a save and load button, so you can save the state. It saves it to main memory! Woo!
Quote:
I made it so when you first click, it will ever be a bomb

Hm? never be a bomb? Just want to make sure I'm reading things correctly.

Quote:
I also added a save and load button, so you can save the state. It saves it to main memory! Woo!

Most excellent Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Quote:
I made it so when you first click, it will ever be a bomb

Hm? never be a bomb? Just want to make sure I'm reading things correctly.
That way you can't lose on your first click. I guess I really mean "never be a mine". And Andrew suggested making it so the spot you click and all its neighbors don't have mines. It makes it so that your first click is significantly less luck-based.
Ok, well, you missed a letter there then. The sentence didn't make sense and I was looking for clarification :p
Oooh, I see. Yeah, well, you know me... I'm really good at tpyos. Sorry about that.
Uploaded! Here's the download:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=684
And here's a video:

And some screenies:

Bugs found
  • Mine count is saved as an unsigned number, read as a signed number somewhere. 150, save, load gives a negative mine count.
  • Set the mines field over 99 mines, hit new, hit prefs, hit up on the mines. it drops down to 99.
  • the question mark should be able to be clicked on. right now, clicking on it does nothing.
merthsoft wrote:
Oooh, I see. Yeah, well, you know me... I'm really good at tpyos. Sorry about that.
I see what you did there. Very Happy Also, I want to say that you did a very impressive job on this, and I look forward to featuring it in the Prizm article I want to post before the weekend ends.
AHelper wrote:
Bugs found
  • Mine count is saved as an unsigned number, read as a signed number somewhere. 150, save, load gives a negative mine count.
  • Set the mines field over 99 mines, hit new, hit prefs, hit up on the mines. it drops down to 99.
  • the question mark should be able to be clicked on. right now, clicking on it does nothing.

Fixed, fixed, and fixed! Download:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=684

KermMartian wrote:
Also, I want to say that you did a very impressive job on this, and I look forward to featuring it in the Prizm article I want to post before the weekend ends.
Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours