Quick question @Merth, how will the user select the squares? Will it be a cursor, outlining the box, changing the color of it?

My thoughts? Wonderful! I will suggest to you what I am doing for sink - Since only one program can run at one time, having a temp file saved to the memory that saves the gamestate will be of great help when playing games that take a tad longer to finish.
I figured I'd have a solid square that I just XOR over the current sprite, like what I do in Periodic. As for the state saving, that's a great idea! Can I see some code for how you do that?
Sink has all of its data stored in arrays and in a class. I simply write the data from the memory (the class for the game mode, settings, state, etc., as well as other data, such as current cursor location and such) to a file. When I load it, the game just copies the data over itself and returns to where it left off.

I don't know how to make a quit handler, so I just save every time menu is pressed.
merthsoft wrote:
Can I see some code for how you do that?

(I don't know how to do file stuff with the Prizm, and so I'm asking to see some code. For how you do that.)
*bump* Anyone? File code?
See the prizm file thread, it shows how to access files. I used that to store my structs to files.
You suck Sad
merthsoft wrote:
You suck Sad

Perhaps you can look at my messy old routines to see how they work some:

http://cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6114&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=113

They're crappy and I don't use them (I use the Bfile syscalls directly) but it should shed some light on how to use them. Feel free to ask me any questions about that until I post some good info on the wiki Smile

It's coming along. The status bar will keep track of flags.
let me guess, the yellow 1 is the cursor inverting the pixel data of the normal 1?
Yup.

And here's another screen shot:

So, you can mark tiles as question marks, too (like in windows), and the mine that you hit is exploding! I'm really impressed by these graphics, I think they look quite nice, so props to my friend for that.
merthsoft wrote:
Yup.

And here's another screen shot:

So, you can mark tiles as question marks, too (like in windows), and the mine that you hit is exploding! I'm really impressed by these graphics, I think they look quite nice, so props to my friend for that.

Props to you and your friend; I especially like the new number graphics Smile
Small suggestion, have the board centered on the screen instead of top/left aligned.

If you do that: when you lose, you could have the frame set to red. when you win, the frame could be yellow/green. By frame I mean the frame drawn by DrawFrame.
I can set the color with that anyway, even with it drawn how it is. The screenshot program doesn't show that frame.
ah, didn't know that it was being clipped.

I do like the new tiles and numbering, a large improvement over the built-in font Good Idea
Ok, which do you guys like better, having the instructions on the screen for what buttons do what:

or being able to have that additional row (making the max 19x9 instead of 19x8)?

I know it looks weird with the board extending beyond the black at the bottom. That'll be fixed, I was just making this quickly so don't really care that right now.
Honestly, I like it with the instructions; I'm generally forgetful about controls work at times, and instructions would remove the chance of me losing a game fiddling around with them Razz plus, they actually look good there.
Just put the instructions bar in a conditional: if the board is 19x9, don't show the bar; if it is 19x ( <= Cool, show the bar.

Oh, and of course, the game looks awesome with the new graphics Smile
gbl08ma wrote:
Just put the instructions bar in a conditional: if the board is 19x9, don't show the bar; if it is 19x (<= 8 ), show the bar.
Oh, that's a neat idea. Maybe instead of that I could have an option in the settings?

Quick screen shot just to show some more progress:
I forgot to tell my friend that I needed graphics for what happens to the mines when you win, and for mis-flagged mines when you lose. So, I've made my own. I let him know I need these, so if he makes some I'll end up using those.

Alright, it's not ready for an actual release yet, but here's a download so you guys can test it out and tell me what I did wrong:
http://merthsoft.com/Minesweeper2.g3a
All suggestions welcome, but I may not do them all. Things I will be adding:
- Saving state when closing
- Centering board
- Icon for the home screen
- Changing name so that it actually fits
Anything else I should do?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours