I saw Calcman's ASM learning thread and I thought this would be useful for me too.

So, my questions will go here.
(I dont have any atm, but they will come soon :) )
Excellent, can't wait to help you. Are you using the DCS SDK as your assembling environment? What are you learning from?
I learn from everything possible, but mainly 28days.
aeTIos wrote:

I like Hot_Dog's more Razz

Eitherway, what compiler/IDE or environment? Customized environment like me?
I started with Hot_Dog's, yep. I use Mimas 0.3 (for so long I'm sure that nothing bad can happen to my calc)
aeTIos wrote:
I started with Hot_Dog's, yep. I use Mimas 0.3 (for so long I'm sure that nothing bad can happen to my calc)

Don't forget that Mimas's syntax is a bit different from Assembly.

Examples:

Code:

myVar .equ 60  ;Assembly
myVar = 60       ;Mimas

.db $21,$01,$00 ;Assembly
DB $21,$01,$00  ;Mimas

.dw $CBFD,$AE00 ;Mimas
DW $CBFD,$AE00 ;Mimas

Just keep that in mind Smile
I have read the whole manual so that wont be a problem Smile btw you can also type Myvar equ 60 and Mimas will auto-replace it with Myvar = 60
aeTIos wrote:
I'm glad that you used ASM in 28 Days. Smile I hope that you write .org $9D95-2 or .org $9D93 or .org progstart instead of .org 40339. Wink Another piece of reference that might help you:

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=SDK

Any reason you're not using on-comp development? It's much easier and faster, especially in terms of testing on emulators.
I also recommend trying SPASM Assembler, I like it very much.

@KermMartian: Trying to sell your products, aye? Razz, just saying he should try several assemblers for better experience.
I use wabbitcode too, I like the syntaxis highlighting.
I use Mimas because I got used to on-calc programming with axe.
ScoutDavid wrote:
@KermMartian: Trying to sell your products, aye? Razz, just saying he should try several assemblers for better experience.
The SDK is free. The assembler is Brass, which is not written by me. The only thing I've written are the linker and the "glue" tools, and I've put a lot of work into making sure it works seamlessly with no effort on every major operating system. It makes sense to suggest that people use it. Razz I think some of our members just like making things harder for themselves by using non-standard tools and systems and formatting. Cool
I have the SDK and a question: How can I make the calc running in ~15Hz mode? (Like the Axe "Full")
aeTIos wrote:
I have the SDK and a question: How can I make the calc running in ~15Hz mode? (Like the Axe "Full")
You use Port $20:

http://wikiti.brandonw.net/?title=83Plus:Ports:20

Code:
xor a ;same as ld a,0, but smaller
out ($20),a ;set 6MHz mode

ld a,1
out ($20),a ;set 15MHz mode
Ideally, you should make sure that's your running on a 15MHz-capable calculator first.
Thanks!
One thing: what do xor, or, and etc. do? I dont understand how they work :$
aeTIos wrote:
Thanks!
One thing: what do xor, or, and etc. do? I dont understand how they work :$
I'd blame a certain tutorial for punting on those issues, but that's neither here nor there. Wink Bitmath is an important part of ASM. Here's the basics:

c = a AND b: For each bit in a and b, the respective bit in c is 1 only if both a AND b have a 1. %11111111 AND %00000000 = %00000000. %10101010 AND %11001100 = %10001000

c = a OR b: For each bit in a and b, the respective bit in c is 1 if EITHER a OR b have a 1. %11111111 OR %00000000 = %11111111. %10101010 OR %11001100 = %11101110

c = a XOR b: For each bit in a and b, the respective bit in c is 1 only if a and b have DIFFERENT bit values. 1 XOR 0 = 1; 0 XOR 1 = 1; 0 XOR 0 = 0, 1 XOR 1 = 0. It's like OR except for the 1 XOR 1 = 0 case. %11111111 XOR %00000000 = %11111111. %10101010 XOR %11001100 = %01100110
I know how that works, yes. BUT, I dont see how you can use "and a" in an expression, because there is nothing to compare with.
Oh, and please dont blame/badmouth/whatever Hot_Dogs lessons. They are just like each other asm lesson series, with its pros and cons.
aeTIos wrote:
I know how that works, yes. BUT, I dont see how you can use "and a" in an expression, because there is nothing to compare with.
Oh, and please dont blame/badmouth/whatever Hot_Dogs lessons. They are just like each other asm lesson series, with its pros and cons.
and a compares a with a. and b compares a with b. and c compares a with c.
aha. so xor a returns always 0?
aeTIos wrote:
aha. so xor a returns always 0?
a gets set to 0, and some of the flags will be changed to reflect the xor operation.
Aha. so the result of the operation is stored to a? or am I wrong?
(Basically, ld a,0 would work too then, if I'm right)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours