http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42538948/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/?GT1=43001

Seems they have been working on a laser defense system for naval ships over the last 2.5 years. And it apparently cost $98 million. I'm thinking .50 caliber rounds cost significantly less, but hey, who am I to stand in the way of finding new ways to 'kill it with fire'. :p
i saw a test firing video on Wired. Super awesome.

Nerds have a responsibility to our collective fantasies not to whine about budget on projects like this Wink
elfprince13 wrote:

Nerds have a responsibility to our collective fantasies not to whine about budget on projects like this Wink

Exactly. Same goes for NASA. As far as anyone here should be concerned, they should get a blank check.
I'm of the opinion that we should cut military employment by 50%, simply cut 25% of that money from the budget, and redirect the other 25% to R&D. Some seriously awesome shit has come out of military research.
tifreak8x wrote:
I'm thinking .50 caliber rounds cost significantly less, but hey, who am I to stand in the way of finding new ways to 'kill it with fire'. :p

Because bullets have limited range, travel time, are affected by weather, etc...

And why .50 caliber? I'll take 30 mm thank you very much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger
DShiznit wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Exactly. Same goes for NASA. As far as anyone here should be concerned, they should get a blank check.
Definitely agreed. The retirement of the space shuttle program is a crying shame; we should be reaching towards the stars, not spending our money and resources fighting over the dwindling space on this little globe.
KermMartian wrote:
Definitely agreed. The retirement of the space shuttle program is a crying shame; we should be reaching towards the stars, not spending our money and resources fighting over the dwindling space on this little globe.

Not nearly as much of a shame as that we can't get the concentrated effort to replace it and Obama has instead decided it's more important to task them with improving middle-eastern relations.
You know damn well no Republican would vote for more spending for NASA, especially if it were proposed by a democrat. This was the presidents unfortunate only option.
DShiznit wrote:
You know damn well no Republican would vote for more spending for NASA, especially if it were proposed by a democrat. This was the presidents unfortunate only option.

Actually, honestly, I'm glad to see a developing space industry - what really pisses me off is how far we've been set back by the transition.
This has nothing to do with being Dem or Rep.. This was something announced 3 years ago that they were retiring the old shuttles until they could build a new fleet, specific to hauling large tonnage of items to space.

Or so I read back then.
And then Obeezy canceled it for political reasons...
DShiznit wrote:

I must have missed that then. *shrug* Hopefully future office holders will re-instate it.
tifreak8x wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

I must have missed that then. *shrug* Hopefully future office holders will re-instate it.
I must have missed that too. DShiznit, do you have any sources to cite on that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours