KermMartian wrote:
I think you've just gotten lucky based on our experiences, Kllrnohj.

Or rather I just don't buy crap. That said, even the crappy cheap dells I've worked on have worked fine with the generic drivers in Windows XP.
I should clarify, I'm not saying to use only the drivers that come on the CD. If there are working updates, get them. But the CD is a great place to start to make sure everything is working before you start updating drivers.
DShiznit wrote:
I should clarify, I'm not saying to use only the drivers that come on the CD. If there are working updates, get them. But the CD is a great place to start to make sure everything is working before you start updating drivers.
Indeed, that's what I feel too. I don't see any detriment to upgrading to the latest drivers instead of going straight to the latest ones without installing the drivers from the CD first.
DShiznit wrote:

For everything *EXCEPT* video cards, absolutely. GPU drivers, however, change exceedingly quickly, and more often than not the drivers on the CD are basically beta versions. You should always avoid them, and just start with the latest and greatest.
Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I don't get a new graphics card often enough for that to be a significant factor for me, though.
Kllrnohj, why would I want the ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION with 2X/3X Crossfire for $250 when I could instead get the very similar ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) for $150, which also has SATA 6Gbps, USB3, one (instead of two) RAID controllers, and lacks the massive number of PCIe x16 slots, especially when I just have one huge monolithic graphics card?
My dream Desktop:Mac pro with all 4 hard drive bays filled with 512 gb solid state drives. Partitioned so that I have Mac OSX lion, Windows 7, And ubunutu running. 32 gb of ram, four monitors, and a tricked out transparent case.
Oweng4000 wrote:
My dream Desktop:Mac pro with all 4 hard drive bays filled with 512 gb solid state drives. Partitioned so that I have Mac OSX lion, Windows 7, And ubunutu running. 32 gb of ram, four monitors, and a tricked out transparent case.
Ugh, Mac Pro? So you like paying 100% more than you need to for your hardware? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Oweng4000 wrote:
Ugh, Mac Pro? So you like paying 100% more than you need to for your hardware? Very Happy

I'm an apple fan boy so don't go there Very Happy.
Oweng4000 wrote:
I'm an apple fan boy so don't go there Very Happy.

You hate money, engineering, and functionality - got it.

@Kerm: Hell if I know, it's been months since I put that together. I don't think the P67 is even the latest and greatest anymore. I think the X79 is finally due out soon, too.
Oweng, I can help you understand how you've been brainwashed in one of our many Apple fanboy reformation topics, or refer you to Kllrnohj for blunter insults.

Kllrnohj, Do you know when the next (!Sandy)bridge line is coming out? My desktop being dead wants to be resolved ASAP, wondering if it's worth waiting.
Oweng, let the "Mac posts" die before they begin. Trust me. There's no point trying to argue Mac here. I'm a dedicated Mac user myself, but we lay low. If you have any Mac questions or anything, feel free to post them but they may not be met with open arms. You can always PM those of us that do have Macs, though.

This isn't exactly the source I should be linking, but MacRumours has an article that details everything you may need to know in the first three paragraphs, the others are Mac Related.

This post provides the same release date, but without all the Mac atmosphere.

I found this images while reading through linked articles and sources on MacRumours. Click the image for the website.
ComicIDIOT, based on that image and the roadmap of chipsets at the target site, it looks like the Z68 is the latest and greatest in performance chipsets. Therefore, I guessed that there's an Asus P8Z68 motherboard, so I did a search. Funnily enough, a version of it has all sorts of awards, editors' choices, and is $209 online:

http://tinyurl.com/6eenxjj
KermMartian wrote:
ComicIDIOT, based on that image and the roadmap of chipsets at the target site, it looks like the Z68 is the latest and greatest in performance chipsets. Therefore, I guessed that there's an Asus P8Z68 motherboard, so I did a search. Funnily enough, a version of it has all sorts of awards, editors' choices, and is $209 online:

http://tinyurl.com/6eenxjj

That sure looks like a good mobo. The roadmap does also say that the high end sandy bridge chips (6 core) are due out this quarter, which is a different socket and chipset if you care to wait.
I'm hoping that I can wait, that the problem with my current build is the power supply, not the motherboard (or my GPU). My GPU had started leaving its red LED on when the computer started up, showing nothing on the screen; I can't tell if it's a low-power or failure LED. Since during normal option it's on when the computer is in standby, I'm really hoping it's just saying it's not getting enough power. I tried swapping my 9800 back in, and although it worked, after a few minutes one of the monitors connected continued to operate normally, but the picture on the other repeatedly disappeared, reappeared, and readjusted, which makes me more hopeful about a power supply issue. I once again ran an Ubuntu LiveCD, which went at normal speeds, but when I installed it to a spare hard drive and booted from that, it showed the same insanely slow boot times that Windows had been previously showing on the machine. I'm trying to scrounge around for a spare >=650 Watt PSU that I can substitute in; if it does the trick, I'm going to try to find myself a nice 750 or 850-Watt PSU to get to replace my current 650 Watt supply to give myself a good buffer for when I get a new mobo and CPU.
*bump* How do you feel about this bad boy? Reviews seem good, including HardOCP. Also, do you think it's worth me trying to get my current PSU covered under warranty first?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-compatible-platforms/dp/B004MYFODI?tag=atmlinr-20
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* How do you feel about this bad boy? Reviews seem good, including HardOCP. Also, do you think it's worth me trying to get my current PSU covered under warranty first?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-compatible-platforms/dp/B004MYFODI?tag=atmlinr-20

That's a good unit. The TX is corsiar's "low" end, though. Spring for the HX line if you can. Although that said, nothing you've described suggests the PSU is the problem.
What about the fact that my 6950 suddenly started deciding that it was getting no power regardless of whether the computer is on or not, yet my 9800 displays (one monitor) of stable graphics (and one of flickering fail)? I should also mention that at some point after my problems started, on the order of weeks, during one of my testing sessions I heard a pop and smelled smoke. Blown cap, I'd say, but I see none, so I'm inclined to blame the PSU.
KermMartian wrote:
What about the fact that my 6950 suddenly started deciding that it was getting no power regardless of whether the computer is on or not, yet my 9800 displays (one monitor) of stable graphics (and one of flickering fail)? I should also mention that at some point after my problems started, on the order of weeks, during one of my testing sessions I heard a pop and smelled smoke. Blown cap, I'd say, but I see none, so I'm inclined to blame the PSU.

You already said you don't know what the LED means. How do you know the 6950 thinks it isn't getting power?

I hope you've tried the normal stuff like trying a different x16 slot and PCI-E power cable?

If the PSU isn't working, it won't turn on. If it can't fully power the system, it would likely switch off under load. Have you monitored the voltages on the rails at idle vs. load? The numbers reported by the mobo aren't necessarily the most accurate, but they will show how much it drops at least.

The fact that one monitor on the 9800 drops in and out is unlikely to be a PSU issue. Slow booting is almost certainly not a PSU issue.
But it's slow booting in any OS, when installed on any hard drive - live booting a CD goes normal speed. I tried switching SATA channels and controllers, SATA settings, and all kinds of things. My BIOS is only reporting voltage as "OK" rather than quantitative results, unfortunately. I should probably stick a multimeter onto a molex connector and boot it up, though. I can't try a different x16 slot without taking the motherboard out of the computer due to space constraints, so I shall do so. So what do you think the dropping in and out is about? It never did that before...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours