One of the advantages of the TI Nspire CX over the Prizm is the greater range of math functions. This is a program designed to remedy that and help increase the mathematical capabilities of the Prizm. The secondary goal of the program is to demonstrate that while games may be fun to program and play, calculator programming can have useful applications and the encouragement of such programming is a benefit to educators rather than a detriment. In order to help facilitate these lofty goals, this program will include a wide variety of functions not provided in the Prizm's native OS such as the Gamma Function, extending the trigonometric functions to complex arguments, and numerical solutions to differential equations. The program itself interacts with the user through the console that easily allows the user to enter complicated mathematical functions with a re-defined keypad.

Here is a demonstration of the keypad and a rudimentary parser interface:

PS: Sorry for the blurry quality, but using pixels to record pixels doesn't exactly work very well...

The equations:
Sin(89)
Sin(Cos(89Tan(97)))
89+3
Log(36+Sin(6))
Whoa, did you basically implement the bulk of a CAS? Did you upload this program to the Cemetech archives yet? I want to try it out on my Prizm!
It's not a CAS, but I'll probably try to implement some of the more useful functions. This is in BASIC (eventually to be ported to ASM), so there are some interpreter limitations that make it difficult to produce a full CAS. It will make all of its routines open to other programs though.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
It's not a CAS, but I'll probably try to implement some of the more useful functions. This is in BASIC (eventually to be ported to ASM), so there are some interpreter limitations that make it difficult to produce a full CAS. It will make all of its routines open to other programs though.
Sounds great to me! I think my biggest confusion was that I had thought the Casio OS already supported these kinds of math constructions. Smile
Nope. It has about the same capabilities as the TI-84+.
KermMartian wrote:
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Sounds great to me! I think my biggest confusion was that I had thought the Casio OS already supported these kinds of math constructions. Smile

There are graphing calculators and there are CAS graphing calculators. Graphing calculators do graphs and arithematic along with a few special calculations such as supplying trig and log function values.

CAS graphing calculators also have a Computer Algebra System (CAS) which can do things like solve equations and systems of equations and do calculus operations and solve differential equations (equations that contain derivatives which are calculus operations).

As you might imagine, the CAS software used on a CAS graphing calculator is large, complicated, requires years of programer time to develope and debug and gets improved over the years and used again and again in each new generation of cas calculator that the maker introduces. Also, most CAS's have very simililar capabilities.

TI used their cas in the TI-89, and Voyage 200 and more recently in the Nspire cas models. Hp used their cas in their HP-48, 49 and 50g models and Casio used their cas in the Classpad models.

It would be correct to compare the non-cas calcs to the non-cas calcs and the cas calc's to the cas calc's but unfair to compare one manufacturers non-cas calc to anothers cas calc. For the TI line, the non-cas calc's are the TI-83, 84, and plain Nspire along with the soon to be available Nspire cx. So the latest non-cas TI calc will be the TI-nspire cx while the most recent non-cas Casio calc is the Prizm and they are both of the same generation thus the Prizm competes with the plain nspire and soon to be available plain nspire cx.

The latest TI cas calc will be the soon to be available TI-nspire cx cas calc, while the most recent Casio cas calc is the Classpad 330 but that is an unfare comparison because the new TI design is being compared to an old Casio design. Most people believe that Casio will introduce a color screen version of the Classpad which then would be of the same generation as the soon to be available nspire cx cas.

I guess the last point to be made is that the TI-83/84 calculators although still available, are not TI's latest non-cas calc's. The nspire series is.
Aye, I know that the Prizm is a non-CAS calculator, but it doesn't look like Qwerty has implemented a CAS or an EOS with new features above the Prizm's built-in EOS, hence my initial confusion. Smile Thanks for the detailed post for those unfamiliar with the concept of a CAS, though!
Actually, I'm working on symbolic manipulations as well, but they're too buggy to be shown. The program uses the OS to do the hard evaluation where possible, but that's not possible in a lot of cases. The parser will be getting significantly more advanced in the future to accommodate those situations.
Sounds great to me, best of luck! I'm sure that will be quite challenging, and I hope that we will be able to help you with any theoretical/coding problems that elude you as well as beta-testing.
It's definitely quite challenging, sine one of the main problems I'm having is numerically approximating symbolic operations. That's half the fun of it though Very Happy
Qwerty.55 wrote:
It's definitely quite challenging, sine one of the main problems I'm having is numerically approximating symbolic operations. That's half the fun of it though Very Happy
I think that I might even go so far as to say that that's the biggest fun of it! Doors CS and CALCnet and all those projects are mostly fun for me being able to say that I succeeded with them, I think, plus of course the fun of getting to see people use and enjoy them. Smile
Came up with a beautiful numerical integration algorithm that will almost certainly make it into the final program if I can figure out how the error term relates to the initial problem. Probably my best algorithmic work ever Very Happy
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Came up with a beautiful numerical integration algorithm that will almost certainly make it into the final program if I can figure out how the error term relates to the initial problem. Probably my best algorithmic work ever Very Happy
That's great to hear! Is it based on any existing algorithm? How does it work?
It's kind of a new spin on the idea of Gaussian quadrature. Basically, at certain points in the interval (given by the roots of an orthogonal polynomial), there are certain behavioral assumptions you can make for most normal functions that greatly simplify the process of finding the integral of the function from the insanity of lookup tables that most math programs use for integrals. The problem is that you sometimes give up a bit of accuracy within the interval. I'm not sure exactly how much accuracy it's likely to lose in the final program, but the algorithm has demonstrated simple power functions with 0% error so far.
Sounds complex and effective! Best of luck, I look forward to hearing how well it works.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours