15%  [ 2 ]
Don't have it yet, but I will soon!
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have it, and I ain't gonna.
 7%  [ 1 ]
Got it....whatever
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Nearly four million Firefox 4 downloads in less than a day and counting! I am now one of the happy Firefox 4 users, and thus far I am quite happy with it. It feels much snappier to me than Firefox 3, and it looks like it's using a good deal less memory to boot. Has anyone else tried it yet? Will you?

http://glow.mozilla.org/
Looks great. I do complain about the blurriness of the font... IIRC it's Windows' fault, but I can't seem to find the setting to fix it in FF...
Just downloaded.... I'll be updating as soon as a few other files finish downloading too.
Great, I look forward to your thoughts, Elfprince. CalcDude, I'm some benryves will have some choice words about that. Smile The new format with no menu bar is a bit odd, but makes a lot of sense as far as screen real estate. I'm getting used to it.
I've tried Firefox 4 and I like it, but I like Chrome more. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Great, I look forward to your thoughts, Elfprince. CalcDude, I'm some benryves will have some choice words about that. Smile The new format with no menu bar is a bit odd, but makes a lot of sense as far as screen real estate. I'm getting used to it.

As a Mac user my menu bar is still right where it belongs =) What I don't really like is the hugely compressed toolbar/window header, but I guess that's the new style now, since Chrome and Opera do it too.
Elfprince, yeah, the tabs above the Bookmarks Toolbar toolbar is a bit of a shock; I'm slowing growing to like it. My biggest problem is realizing that I have more than one tab, since usually no tabs below the Bookmarks Toolbar means I have but a single tab.
I think the real subject should be:

Firefox 4 released: Who cares?
I have been running the betas and RC's for a while so nothing here was really a shocker to me. I personally have the menubar shown with the bookmarks bar items next to it and the roomy bookmarks add on iconizing them. I also have the addon bar show as I use enough addons that use it for it to be worth it for me. If I were on a netbook I might do otherwise but for my laptop and desktop I still have plenty of screen space.
Now that I try it out more, I think one of the hardest things for me to remember will be actually clicking the resident Gmail app tab I pinned to see if there are any emails waiting for me.
One thing I'll have to look at is if I can have the app tabs be full size, I hadn't really played with those yet, but with the other tab grouping stuff they will be really useful.
calcdude84se wrote:
Looks great. I do complain about the blurriness of the font... IIRC it's Windows' fault, but I can't seem to find the setting to fix it in FF...

No, it's part of the hardware acceleration path now - it is no longer using Windows' font rendering, hence why it is "blurry". There are some settings related to that in about:config, this one in particular sounds interesting: gfx.font_rendering.cleartype.always_use_for_content
Jonimus, I couldn't seem to find any settings for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is indeed a way to tweak that.
souvik1997 wrote:
I've tried Firefox 4 and I like it, but I like Chrome more. Smile

This.

Although tinychat is broken in chrome as of now
It was ownage during the Betas. Now its gonna even be more ownage. I carry it around dwith me everywhere I go... Usb, phone, laptop, and well desktop ('cept that thing stays at home. )
Well-said, 0rac343. Smile I still have only sporadically used Chrome on other peoples' computers, and I'm afraid it just doesn't cut it for me.
I haven't tried using Firefox 4.0 yet (I'm using 3.6 right now) but I'll probably try it later, and switch to it if the UI isn't too different.
KermMartian wrote:
Well-said, 0rac343. Smile I still have only sporadically used Chrome on other peoples' computers, and I'm afraid it just doesn't cut it for me.

Firefox 4 appears to be the Chromification of Firefox...hence the additional poll option I just added.
Kllrnohj wrote:
No, it's part of the hardware acceleration path now - it is no longer using Windows' font rendering, hence why it is "blurry".
I was under the impression it used DirectWrite, which was a Windows font rendering system (also used by IE 9). I find it quite horrible (GDI/ClearType is far superior for legibility) but it seems to be the route Microsoft are keen to go down as is evidenced by similar poor-quality text rendering under WPF.
I'm running it now. It actually doesn't appear to have done much(if anything) for screen real estate, but I'll play around and see what I can do.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours