So I have yet to take the data structures course at my university but I was asked for help by someone who is in said class so I decided to take a look and see what I could come up with code wise.

The original assignment was supposed to be in Java with a GUI for pushing and popping as well as to display the current stack. I decided to try my had at doing it in C with stdio first since that is what I am more familiar with and this is what I came up with.
Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

struct Item {
   int val;
   struct Item *next;
   struct Item *last;
}Item;

static struct Item *head =NULL;
static struct Item *tail =NULL;

static void push(int value) {
   struct Item *tmp;
   tmp = malloc(sizeof(Item));
   tmp->val = value;
   if (head==NULL) {
      tail = head = tmp;
      tmp->next=NULL;
      tmp->last=NULL;
   }
   tail->next = tmp;
   tmp->last = tail;
   tail = tmp;
}

static int pop() {
   int ret;
   if (head == NULL) {
      return 0;
   }
   struct Item *tmp;
   ret = tail->val;
   tmp = tail;
   if (tail->last != tail){
      tail = tail->last;
   }else {
      tail = head =NULL;
   }
   free(tmp);

return ret;
}

static void printList() {
   struct Item *tmp =head;
   printf("Stack = [");
   while (tmp != tail) {
      printf(" %i,", tmp->val);
      tmp = tmp->next;
   }
   printf(" %i]\n",tmp->val);
}

static int peekHead() {
   if (head != NULL) {
      return head->val;
   }
   return 0;
}

static int peekTail() {
   if (tail != NULL) {
      return tail->val;
   }
   return 0;
}

int main(void) {
   int i,j,k;

scanf("%i", &i);
   printf("Will Push %i values.\n",i);
   for (j=0;j<i;j++) {
      scanf("%i", &k);
      push(k);
      printf("Pushed %i\n",tail->val);
   }
   printf("head value = %i\n",peekHead());
   printList();
   printf("tail value = %i\n",peekTail());
   for (j=0;j<(i+1);j++) {
      k=pop(k);
      printf("Popped %i\n",k);
   }   
   return 0;
}

This is entirely my own code I came up with after trying to help my friend started with his java. Other than checking if malloc is actually returning a pointer and not null, is there anything else you would suggest or a better way to handle things?

I also have a similar program for a doubly linked list implementing a queue but the code is so similar its not really worth posting. So again, thoughts suggestions, things I missed?
The implementation looks quite good to me, and indeed very close to what I would probably have come up with had I been given the same assignment. My biggest gripes are just style issues, which says a lot for your code. Capitalizing a struct type is a very C++ thing to do, and not usually done in C, but it makes sense why you did it. The other thing is that "next/last" is ambiguous; it would be better to use the accepted "next/prev" terminology.
Thanks Kerm, that's what I was hoping to hear. As to the style issues, what sort of styling do you mean? My guess would be my handling { and } with regards to functions but I'm sure there are some other things.

I do agree the the next/last thing could be better and I've already done a find replace on my source to that extent.
No, I like the way you do braces, I was referring to the specific two issues that I mentioned. Now that I'm reviewing the code again, you have some inconsistencies about whitespace around equal signs and at the end of your struct definition, but those are miniscule nit-picks.
TheStorm wrote:
Thanks Kerm, that's what I was hoping to hear. As to the style issues, what sort of styling do you mean?

Your spacing is nonsensical, inconsistent, and retarded.

Proper:

Code:

int a, b, c;
if (a == b)
    a = NULL;
typedef struct item {
} item;
for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
    printf("i = %d\n", i);
}

Oh, and you are missing a typedef for your struct (see my snippet above) OR you should get rid of the second "Item" in your struct declaration.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Your spacing is nonsensical, inconsistent, and retarded.

There's the whimsical fair of helpfulness we all know and love Wink
Of course Jonimus gets the intense style flaming from Kllrnohj. Razz I didn't think he had a huge amount of inconsistent and nonsensical formatting.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours