Since I first introduced global CALCnet, a simple way to connect a network of graphing calculators to the internet using either an Arduino microcontroller board or a custom AVR USBHID bridge, Cemetech users have clamored for a Direct USB solution. Such a feature, ideally built into Doors CS 7.2, would allow TI-84+ and TI-84+SE calculators to connect to global CALCnet (gCn) using only a piece of client software and the miniUSB cable packaged with every new calculator. After a month or two of alternately dragging my feet and receiving invaluable assistance from Jon "Jonimus" Sturm, Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall, the inimitable Brandon "BrandonW" Wilson, and numerous Cemetech members, I'm happy to say that I've had my first successes with Direct USB. Using an early beta of Doors CS 7.2 and the gCnClient software, I was able to join the #cemetech IRC channel and hold a brief discussion with the denizens thereof. Over the next few days I will be improving the software on both the PC and calculator ends, and shortly releasing a beta-testing package containing Doors CS 7.2 Beta 1, gCnClient 1.1 Beta, and the LibUSB filter driver installer. Please post and let me know your thoughts on this excellent development. I will continue posting updates as I work through existing issues.

In other news, happy (belated) Pi Day to everyone! I had hoped to post an article yesterday simultaneously expressing the Cemetech staff's irrational wishes to everyone and offering Direct USB news, but was not able to work through enough issues to call it moderately operational in between my real-life commitments until today. Cheers! Hope you all enjoyed round sweet pastry treats.
Amazing! And that means you'll get a good influx of gCn users (including myself). Get support for a 2-calc CALCnet net (Razz) and that'd be nice too Smile
Can't wait for the beta! (I will enthusiastically test)
Woo Pi and Woo Direct USB gCn, and I helped! Very Happy
Woo! This is great news KermM, and I hope to be able to beta-test this soon. Smile
CalcDude, 2-calc CALCnet (aka, linked calculators) is already a thing, and was indeed the first thing about CALCnet that worked, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Smile

TheStorm: You certainly did, extensively! Thanks!

Souvik: Thanks, I hope so too.

Everyone: To clarify the current issues, as far as I can tell:
(1) Random freeziness on cable pulls and re-insertions on occasion, although nothing that requires a battery pull.
(2) One assorted RAM clear when someone on IRC spoke a long line containing a link
(3) I'm not confident that it cleanly switches over to I/O Cn2.2 when the USB cable is pulled.
Yay! Can't wait to beta this! Razz
Hope the issues are easy to solve.
I hope so too. I would feel much more confident about it if that RAM clear hadn't occurred, and I might even have considered handing out a small beta, but I don't want to give out something I know has potential to cause RAM Clears if I don't have to.
I'm ok with RAM clears, so maybe you could distribute it to a small group of people to test?
souvik1997 wrote:
I'm ok with RAM clears, so maybe you could distribute it to a small group of people to test?
Ditto for me.
Kerm, I was referring to CALCnet via USB, not I/O cable.
Good luck with bugs!
This will be awesome. Good luck Smile
Woah I didn't realize it progressed so much already. Sadly my lack of ASM knowledge probably didn't help that when reading the topic.

Will this work on a TI-Nspire by the way? I would really love to try this when it comes out.
DJ_O, there has been some debate on that subject. I'm really not sure yet, and I'll have no way of finding out until I release something and Nspire owners test it. DJ_O, yeah, it went very quickly from nowhere (Friday) to very much working, but glitchy (today). Qwerty.55, thanks very much! CalcDude, I'm not convinced that that doesn't work; that's something I'll have to get people to test.
calcdude84se wrote:
Good luck with bugs!
Right now the direct USB code Kerm is using is slave only, one calc would need to act as a USB master most likely via USB8x which would require even more work and code from Kerm, as well as him using USB8x.
TheStorm, technically I'm letting the OS handle all negotiation and transmission/reception and not forcing peripheral mode anywhere, as far as I know. Am I incorrect about this? I'd also appreciate BrandonW's input if he notices this.
I had seen in another topic that you weren't confident that it would work. If it should, excellent, and I would test if I had a second calc. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm, technically I'm letting the OS handle all negotiation and transmission/reception and not forcing peripheral mode anywhere, as far as I know. Am I incorrect about this? I'd also appreciate BrandonW's input if he notices this.
The OS does everything in peripheral mode, hence why USB8x is needed for host mode, TI-OS just doesn't have code to handle it.
TheStorm wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:
Good luck with bugs!
Right now the direct USB code Kerm is using is slave only, one calc would need to act as a USB master most likely via USB8x which would require even more work and code from Kerm, as well as him using USB8x.

Two calcs via USB on the same computer might work though?
Lots of calcs on the same computer each with a different gCnClient would work fine. Jonimus, when the OS links two calculators via USB, it's doing something funky that I'm definitely not expressly forbidding. You don't need USB8x for TI's USB unit-to-unit cable to work.
KermMartian wrote:
Lots of calcs on the same computer each with a different gCnClient would work fine. Jonimus, when the OS links two calculators via USB, it's doing something funky that I'm definitely not expressly forbidding. You don't need USB8x for TI's USB unit-to-unit cable to work.
True, that uses some special stuff, which maybe possible to do now that you mention it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours