The fact that there were only 5 people involved, and that the number of views for even the highest had only 3 digits gives me hope that we could win future contests of this nature.

The trick to this is to do something simple and fun to watch that won't take more than a minute or half a minute to view. I think the biggest flaw in your video was that you took 10 minutes to show a bunch of stuff only programmers would find interesting, with what felt like 30-seconds worth of actual in-game footage. I think you'll be much more successful going heavy on in-game footage with the technical stuff interspersed in small snippets you can pause to view.

Anyway, that's just my $2e-2
DShiznit wrote:
The fact that there were only 5 people involved, and that the number of views for even the highest had only 3 digits gives me hope that we could win future contests of this nature.

Me too Smile
DShiznit wrote:

The trick to this is to do something simple and fun to watch that won't take more than a minute or half a minute to view. I think the biggest flaw in your video was that you took 10 minutes to show a bunch of stuff only programmers would find interesting, with what felt like 30-seconds worth of actual in-game footage. I think you'll be much more successful going heavy on in-game footage with the technical stuff interspersed in small snippets you can pause to view.

Anyway, that's just my $2e-2

It's a good $2e-2, it's just hard advice to follow at this stage of development Smile
Wow, elf. This is looking great. Sorry I've been out so long, the work that's gotten done recently is really getting me excited again though. The animations are amazing, thanks DShiznit.
Just entered this week's contest: http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21569/2#comment-183464

$129 potential prize!

CyberPrime: thanks! I added you to the FreeBuild Developer's user group on the forum, by the way. And how are your C++ skills these days?
elfprince13 wrote:
Just entered this week's contest: http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21569/2#comment-183464

$129 potential prize!

Looks like a much harder contest than the others, but I think the originality and practicality of your idea might set you apart from the others. The only suggestion I can make(if you can even edit your comment at this point) would be to use LDraw files or something even easier to work with as an example, and walk through the process with that format, followed by a picture of the final result.

At any rate, I eagerly await the results...
Thanks! I wrote that up in a bit of a rush, since I was travelling all day Friday, or I would have gone into more detail.
Still quite shoddy, elf. Hahaha. I can try to brush up and jump into whatever you want me to though. I have finals coming up, however. I do have some time after school and before work that I can work on stuff, though I'm also going to be writing an essay that i'm trying to get published. I'll make a post in the appropriate forum about it, I think it's pretty interesting stuff (interesting enough to spend ~7 months on at least).
Idea: can we render a shape for the player's spectator camera? Being able to toggle a switch that renders a lego video camera on all the F8 spectate cams would be interesting and practical to see what people are looking at when building. Coloring the camera the same as the majority of the player controlling it would make it easy to visually identify who is in control of which ones when there are multiple players on a server.
CyberPrime wrote:
Still quite shoddy, elf. Hahaha. I can try to brush up and jump into whatever you want me to though. I have finals coming up, however. I do have some time after school and before work that I can work on stuff, though I'm also going to be writing an essay that i'm trying to get published. I'll make a post in the appropriate forum about it, I think it's pretty interesting stuff (interesting enough to spend ~7 months on at least).

That would be awesome. I'll be excited to see your essay as well.

DShiznit wrote:
Idea: can we render a shape for the player's spectator camera? Being able to toggle a switch that renders a lego video camera on all the F8 spectate cams would be interesting and practical to see what people are looking at when building. Coloring the camera the same as the majority of the player controlling it would make it easy to visually identify who is in control of which ones when there are multiple players on a server.

That's an interesting idea. It should be quite do-able.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dU_lYBloo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J834KH43YgE
Lucas W wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J834KH43YgE
It's against Cemetech rules to post bare video links with no text, description, or explanation, especially in that sort of context. A better post would be, "I notice that it has been NN units of time since this thread was last updated. Is Freebuild still under development, or has it been abandoned?"
I notice that it has been NN units of time since this thread was last updated. Is Freebuild still under development, or has it been abandoned?
I notice that it has been NN units of time since this thread was last updated. Is Freebuild still under development, or has it been abandoned?
elrunethe2nd wrote:

It's under development. But there are these things called final exams and extended writing assignments. You may have heard of them?

Also, I'm hoping to get a lot of work done this summer, but it will definitely be taking second string to the tokamak simulations I'm doing for my work at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.
I hate to sound negative, and no offense intended, but to be strictly realistic, I think you need some more coders on-board if Freebuild has any chance of being finished this decade. Wink Any ideas how we could attract more coders to the project? I sincerely wish that I personally had the time to give to Freebuild. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
I hate to sound negative, and no offense intended, but to be strictly realistic, I think you need some more coders on-board if Freebuild has any chance of being finished this decade. Wink Any ideas how we could attract more coders to the project? I sincerely wish that I personally had the time to give to Freebuild. Sad

I would LOVE to have more coders. But nobody really seems interested in engine coding and buying a license for T3D. DShiznit is licensed and doing some cool stuff with Torque atm, but he's working on his stuff and sticking to TGE for the moment. Swivel is licensed, but obviously he doesn't have the free time necessary for a project like this.
Aye, that's the difficulty. Don't get me wrong, I think you're more than competent given sufficient time to get Freebuild done on your own, but like all of us, you're drowning in real-life projects, academic pursuits, and social life/significant others. Are there any other places that existing Torque experts hang out such that you could attract them to Freebuild, or are they all already monopolized with their own projects?
Now that Retail Blockland has killed off the modding scene, most new Torque users are either educational, or working at an indie studio (or contracting with one). I've contemplated emailing some of the professors at Champlain College in Burlington, VT (they have a game design major) to see if they have any interested studios, but I haven't pursued that option yet.
elfprince13 wrote:
Now that Retail Blockland has killed off the modding scene, most new Torque users are either educational, or working at an indie studio (or contracting with one). I've contemplated emailing some of the professors at Champlain College in Burlington, VT (they have a game design major) to see if they have any interested studios, but I haven't pursued that option yet.
Do they do Torque with the students at all? If so, I know it's a long shot, but perhaps you could get students to contribute work/art as part of a final project sort of thing?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 16 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours