Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
DShiznit wrote:
Even today's desktops are shipped with Intel Chipsets to reduce costs. Unless you bought a computer specifically for gaming, odds are it has integrated intel.
Yeah, but I'm under the impression that if you put a discrete AGP or PCI-E card in such a computer, it would override the integrated chipset. Of course, there's a possibility it has no such slot...
DShiznit wrote:
Even today's desktops are shipped with Intel Chipsets to reduce costs. Unless you bought a computer specifically for gaming, odds are it has integrated intel.


Even a semi-modern Intel integrated chipset should be up to the job (though not necessarily on the highest settings) if it has 256MB of shared memory.

My 3 year old Nvidia 9400m (the lower power chip in my MBP) is an integrated chip and can T3D pretty well on even medium-ish settings, and it isn't that much more powerful than an Intel chip.
Except that your Nvidia card supports shader 3 and possibly 4, intel chipsets rarely go above pixel shader 2 if that.

An idea strikes me. If T3D supports browser embedding, can it also support Facebook integration? That would be a great way to get it to spread like hepatitis, at the expense of constant status updates of "so-in-so just built a giant phallus in Freebuild! Click here to join!"
DShiznit wrote:
Even today's desktops are shipped with Intel Chipsets to reduce costs. Unless you bought a computer specifically for gaming, odds are it has integrated intel.

The Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors come with a built-in Intel graphics accelerator. Razz
SpaceNinja wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Even today's desktops are shipped with Intel Chipsets to reduce costs. Unless you bought a computer specifically for gaming, odds are it has integrated intel.

The Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors come with a built-in Intel graphics accelerator. Razz
Oh goodie, but they still have the capabilities for external graphics chips/cards, of course. Smile I can't wait to get my hands on the first demo(s), Elfprince!
Also the integrated graphics cores in some core i3/5/7 chips kick the pants off of the older igp cores intel used in the past.
TheStorm wrote:
Also the integrated graphics cores in some core i3/5/7 chips kick the pants off of the older igp cores intel used in the past.
That's great to hear, because my new tablet (long story, different than the one I had originally posted) has an i7. Can't wait!
DShiznit wrote:
An idea strikes me. If T3D supports browser embedding, can it also support Facebook integration? That would be a great way to get it to spread like hepatitis, at the expense of constant status updates of "so-in-so just built a giant phallus in Freebuild! Click here to join!"


This is a fantastic idea. There are a lot of issues that would have to be resolved for this to work, but I think it could.
I see that there is no mention for Linux support.

so would it be possible to support Linux?
if not, I want to know why not, I want to know because of the recent changes.
Schrödinger wrote:
I see that there is no mention for Linux support.

so would it be possible to support Linux?
if not, I want to know why not, I want to know because of the recent changes.
I know that there's at least a Mac OS port, so it seems to me it would be a short jump to a Linux port.
The biggest problem with linux is the lack of any standardized sound libraries across different distros.
DShiznit wrote:
The biggest problem with linux is the lack of any standardized sound libraries across different distros.
Not true at all, in fact using openal, alsa, or oss garentees support on all distros no matter what. The adobe dev claiming otherwise is an idiot who more or less has no clue what he is talking about and clearly hates his job. Its the distro's job to make sure that w/e library the dev chooses, assuming its well supported, gets to the speakers.
I'd like to be a GUI maker. I just need someone to teach me how to make them. Also, is anyone working on the LDraw brick library integration?
Schrödinger wrote:
I see that there is no mention for Linux support.

so would it be possible to support Linux?
if not, I want to know why not, I want to know because of the recent changes.


T3D doesn't support Linux by default, but there is a platform layer for a Linux dedicated server, the big issue would be writing the platform GUI code. Everything else should be okay. OpenAL is used on both Windows and Mac anyway, so that isn't a problem.

SpaceNinja: The LDraw stuff is my job once we get the script base ported across. I have the parser working and it's a matter of loading the data into a renderable format, and optimizing that process a little bit. The GUI stuff is pretty easy to do in script. If you practice making some without the F10 editor in TGE you shouldn't have too much difficulty moving over to T3D, although there are a few quirks.
Proudly presenting (after 20 minutes dealing with a regression in the GuiChunkedBitmapCtrl class that didn't properly tile things)


The first steps towards porting things over. The next step is of course linking in libcurl, and porting over the login system and the rest of the main menu. Then upgrading dynload to work with T3D, and finally on to game play porting.
Instead of porting all of TBM's content again, why not start from scratch, or port only the bare bones on which you can build new stuff?

Also, that background is butt ugly, sorry to say. I have an idea, let me try some editing of my own...
DShiznit wrote:
The biggest problem with linux is the lack of any standardized sound libraries across different distros.
OpenAL?
DShiznit, I thought the same at first, but over time it has grown on me. Smile I'll take the opposite stance and say the background is fine, but I still am not a fan of the logo at all. Elfprince, great job!
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit, I thought the same at first, but over time it has grown on me. Smile I'll take the opposite stance and say the background is fine, but I still am not a fan of the logo at all. Elfprince, great job!

I'm not tremendously attached to the logo either, though I do like my program icon that is similarly themed. I also like the background, but I'm still open to replacements. And of course modders can load whatever background image they choose Wink

DShiznit wrote:
Instead of porting all of TBM's content again, why not start from scratch, or port only the bare bones on which you can build new stuff?

I'm really not going to put much effort into content. A lot of the scripts are a different matter though - particularly the login system and modding tools I wrote that are absolutely going to be in the final game unless something changes dramatically.
Well, it seems to me that the major pieces of content are:

(1) Player model
(2) Bricks
(3) Map objects

(2) is irrelevant with LDraw, (3) should stay the same, and I'm not sure about (1). Did I miss anything?
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 17
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement