My aunt wanted me to figure out what's wrong with her Canon i350, which is only making blank pages, but I'm stumped. Both ink cartridges were recently replaced, and to be sure, I smeared both cartridges and the printer head on my undershirt and they stain just fine. Of note is that it cannot detect the ink levels, which leads me to suspect that perhaps there's a communication error somewhere between the printer and the head. When I get my multimeter tomorrow, should I take the printer apart and start testing wires?
Try to take some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and cleaning the contacts on both the print heads and the carriage inside the printer. Ink or gunk on the contacts could be preventing communication.
The contacts look clean but I'll give that a shot.
DShiznit wrote:
The contacts look clean but I'll give that a shot.
It'd definitely worth a try; that sound consistent with it neither reporting the ink levels nor printing, but it's not complaining about a missing cartridge. Is it possible the ribbon cable between the printer and the carriage is damaged?
Is this recent, or did she install a new printer? Because I've found that sometimes drivers will update and they mess up stuff.
graphmastur wrote:
Is this recent, or did she install a new printer? Because I've found that sometimes drivers will update and they mess up stuff.
That's definitely possible, but I got the impression that nothing much had changed. I'll leave DShiznit to confirm or deny that.
graphmastur wrote:

Not sure, but I put fresh drivers for it on my comp for testing and got the same results.
DShiznit wrote:
graphmastur wrote:

Not sure, but I put fresh drivers for it on my comp for testing and got the same results.
That seems pretty conclusive; I hope that cleaning the contacts yields some results.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours