This iPhone fell 1000 feet out of an airplane and still works.

It joins the ranks of other testaments to Apple's hardware-engineering awesome such as the Macbook Pro that got shot and still works.
And we must not forget the fantastic iPhone 4 wich backplate explodes if you use it below 0°C!
While that is really cool that it survived a 1000ft fall, it did hit brush and had a protective case that helped it. The macbook pro that got shot, ok, I'll admit that is pretty cool, but still. Apple tech has some flaws, hold it wrong. and your service disappears, not to mention my macbook gets insanley hot even with good airflow. I am biased against apple, just because they over price their hardware alot (see Here ), and lock everything down. But, i still love my macbook, because i haven't managed to kill it yet.

But to not start a anything vs. mac war, here's some nice survival stories i found for some tech.
This LG phone went through the wash:
http://www.someoneelseskids.com/2008/06/28/lg-cell-phone-survival-story/

For a story of my own, I used my first phone as a baseball, and hit it over a house, and it still worked. It was a old Motorola V323. It got really warm after that, but it still worked just fine, there was a little crack where i hit it with the bat, but for a $20 phone, it still works to this day. My current phone has been in multiple snow banks as-well, and still works. Thankfully, none have gone through the laundry, only my jump drives.
elfprince13 wrote:

Guess they fixed the screen-cracking problem Razz
rcfreak0 wrote:
I am biased against apple, just because they over price their hardware alot (see Here ),

Yes, Apple is expensive, but that picture doesn't tell the whole story. An Apple Cinema display usually has a vertical resolution which is the same as the horizontal resolution of a similarly sized screen from other manufacturers (i.e. turning both of the Dell monitors on their side won't get you enough pixels to match one of the Apple monitors). Similarly, the Dell RAM is going to be 1033MHz, no ECC; and the Apple RAM is going to be 1333MHz with ECC. etc...

Quote:
and lock everything down.

And by "everything" you mean "phones"
elfprince13 wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:
I am biased against apple, just because they over price their hardware alot (see Here ),

Yes, Apple is expensive, but that picture doesn't tell the whole story. An Apple Cinema display usually has a vertical resolution which is the same as the horizontal resolution of a similarly sized screen from other manufacturers (i.e. turning both of the Dell monitors on their side won't get you enough pixels to match one of the Apple monitors). Similarly, the Dell RAM is going to be 1033MHz, no ECC; and the Apple RAM is going to be 1333MHz with ECC. etc...

Quote:
and lock everything down.

And by "everything" you mean "phones"

Yes, mainly phones. But atleast i pointed out i was biased before i ranted Smile. I just think its weird i can build a computer that blows a pre-built mac out of the water for 1/2 the cost.. But OSX is nice, the only main complaint is that i cant stand my macbook pro's keyboard and i miss my right click :/ lol
2 fingers?
elfprince13 wrote:
2 fingers?

True, but its weird getting used to sometimes. Im so used to my laptops right click i just auto hit it on my macbook, same from my regular mouse. I suppose after awhile I'll get used to it.
rcfreak0 wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
2 fingers?

True, but its weird getting used to sometimes. Im so used to my laptops right click i just auto hit it on my macbook, same from my regular mouse. I suppose after awhile I'll get used to it.

I don't know, I guess after having to use my left arm because of an injury, I can use pretty much any mouse on either hand. It takes me maybe 5 minutes to get used to it. Now it was really funny when I zoomed in by accident, and couldn't zoom out.
elfprince13 wrote:
It joins the ranks of other testaments to Apple's hardware-engineering awesome such as the Macbook Pro that got shot and still works.

No, it's a testament to the case it was in with a *huge* helping of sheer luck. Apple's engineering is pathetic - an unprotected iPhone 4's back shatters if you drop it 3 feet. And a macbook pro crumples like a soda can if you drop it.

As for the macbook pro, it was shot in a place with no circuitry and who knows what the bullet went through before it actually hit the laptop in the first place - hardly impressive. What is impressive are the touchbooks and thinkpads that can handle a REAL attack on them with no damage whatsoever.
elfprince13 wrote:
Similarly, the Dell RAM is going to be 1033MHz, no ECC; and the Apple RAM is going to be 1333MHz with ECC. etc..
Lest less than knowledgeable people get confused, let's remember that Apple doesn't actually make hardware. Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Yes, Apple is expensive, but that picture doesn't tell the whole story. An Apple Cinema display usually has a vertical resolution which is the same as the horizontal resolution of a similarly sized screen from other manufacturers (i.e. turning both of the Dell monitors on their side won't get you enough pixels to match one of the Apple monitors).

Uh, no, it isn't. Apple's Cinema displays have the *exact same* to comparable displays, particularly those from Dell. Both source the exact same panels (LG) for their high end monitors. The 27" Cinema Display uses the exact same panel as Dell's U2711, only Dell's monitor actually has a better back-light (not to mention useful inputs and no computer needlessly shoved inside of it). The 30" Cinema Display is no longer sold and refurbished ones are only slightly cheaper than the newer and better Dell U3011.

Price wise, Apple's monitors aren't actually that expensive, though, they just aren't any better than the competition and in many ways worse. Lack of inputs and additional features is a big one - Dell's stands are far superior, have tons of inputs, and usually have a USB hub as well.

Quote:
Similarly, the Dell RAM is going to be 1033MHz, no ECC; and the Apple RAM is going to be 1333MHz with ECC. etc...

Unless you are running a super critical server you *DON'T* want ECC. For desktops and *most* servers, ECC is very much a negative, not a positive. It is significantly slower. You are also wrong about the speeds - for the 2.8ghz and 3.2ghz mac pro Apple uses 1066mhz DDR3, not 1333mhz. It is also dual channel. Dell, on the other hand, ships 6GB of *triple channel* 1333mhz RAM (even has 3 slots free, so upgrading later to 12gb would be trivial and cheap) in their $1,000 machines: http://www.dell.com/us/p/studio-xps-9100/pd?oc=dxcwqu1&model_id=studio-xps-9100

Actually, that $1000 Dell has basically identical specs to the $2500 Mac Pro. The Dell has double the RAM and between the faster clock speeds and triple channel, it's *much* faster RAM, but a slower video card - to bump the Dell up to the exact same video card as the Mac Pro, add $180 (Dell's price on their configuration page - it's ~$80 from Newegg). Faster machine, less than half the cost.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Uh, no, it isn't. Apple's Cinema displays have the *exact same* to comparable displays, particularly those from Dell. Both source the exact same panels (LG) for their high end monitors. The 27" Cinema Display uses the exact same panel as Dell's U2711, only Dell's monitor actually has a better back-light (not to mention useful inputs and no computer needlessly shoved inside of it). The 30" Cinema Display is no longer sold and refurbished ones are only slightly cheaper than the newer and better Dell U3011.

Really? Last time I did I check on that (a couple months ago), I was seeing 1366x768 vs 2560x1440 on some LG vs Apple Cinema comparisons of similar dimension.

Quote:
Dell's stands are far superior, have tons of inputs, and usually have a USB hub as well.

Last Apple Cinema display I used had a USB hub, and a built in 50 watt speaker? Single video input though.

Quote:
Unless you are running a super critical server you *DON'T* want ECC. For desktops and *most* servers, ECC is very much a negative, not a positive. It is significantly slower.

It is still a feature that is more expensive, is it not?

Quote:
(even has 3 slots free, so upgrading later to 12gb would be trivial and cheap) in their $1,000 machines: http://www.dell.com/us/p/studio-xps-9100/pd?oc=dxcwqu1&model_id=studio-xps-9100

Why so little RAM? The Mac Pro has slots for up to 32GB in the "low range", and 64GB in the mid-high range.
elfprince13 wrote:
Really? Last time I did I check on that (a couple months ago), I was seeing 1366x768 vs 2560x1440 on some LG vs Apple Cinema comparisons of similar dimension.

Nobody has *ever* shipped a 27" monitor with a resolution of 1366x768, wtf are you talking about? 1920x1080 is the lowest you'll find on a 27" (unfortunately 1920x1080 seems to be taking over at all sizes :/ ), but all the monitors at that size worth buying are 2560x1440. Likewise, every 30" monitor is 2560x1600.

The price gap between the 27" 1920x1080 TN and 2560x1440 IPS monitor is huge, though. ~$280 vs. $1000+

Quote:
Last Apple Cinema display I used had a USB hub, and a built in 50 watt speaker? Single video input though.

So it does. Point about the video inputs and the stand being completely useless still stands, though.

Quote:
It is still a feature that is more expensive, is it not?

A feature? Not really - everything is slower for no real gain, not what most consider a feature (and definitely not a feature for a desktop - more like a curse)

More expensive? Also no. Costs pretty much the same, actually.

Quote:
Why so little RAM? The Mac Pro has slots for up to 32GB in the "low range", and 64GB in the mid-high range.

Why are you asking me? That's what the $2500 *STARTING PRICE* mac pro comes with. And if you bump it up, Apple will rape you on the cost, so it's really a lose-lose either way.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours