Nothing other than it is confirmed to exist, ti has a bulliten about it! (I cannot make account for some reason)
qazz42 wrote:
Nothing other than it is confirmed to exist, ti has a bulliten about it! (I cannot make account for some reason)
*Bulletin board. No one can make an account yet; they haven't enabled it. They probably gave accounts to some teachers and educators.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
*Bulletin board. No one can make an account yet; they haven't enabled it. They probably gave accounts to some teachers and educators.

They probably gave accounts to some teachers and educators-Yeh, they certainly let you know whose business they want and who they could care less about. Wink
Just a quick comparison with the Prizm, since that's the market this calc is obviously going after.

Screen: The screen itself will be slightly larger than that of the Prizm, with a diagonal width of 3.2" as compared to the Prizm's 3.0" However, that comes at the price of lower resolution and fewer pixels. The Prizm has ~146 DPI while the Nspire CX has 125. Similarly, the the Prizm has a 384x216 screen while the the Nspire has 320x240.

Programmability: I wouldn't get my hopes up given TI's apparent position on the matter. In any case, Casio-BASIC is more functional, if you don't mind waiting a few minutes to draw anything.

Math features: No contest. The Nspire CX blows the Prizm out of the water with actual math.

Processor: If the Nspire CX continues to use an ARM processor, which there is every reason that it should, then the Nspire will probably be faster.

Slide case: The Prizm has one and the Nspire's has to be purchased separately. 'Nuff said.

Basically, unless TI screws this up by making Ndless incompatible, then the Nspire has the potential to be the better calculator.
But really it is just TI mooching Casio's ideas Sad and I thought they could not go any lower
It has been officially announced:
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire_cx.html

And looky at the spec page:
Quote:
Features a dedicated programming environment as well as programming libraries for global access to user-defined functions & programs

:O
Hurray! Very Happy Some spec!

Quote:
# Screen size: 320 x 240 pixels (3.2" diagonal)
# Screen resolution: 125 DPI; 16-bit color
# Powered by the TI-Nspire Rechargeable Battery (included)
# Memory: 100 MB storage memory / 64MB operating memory

I need to quote this again, because I'm so happy:

Quote:
Features a dedicated programming environment as well as programming libraries for global access to user-defined functions & programs

Edit: I have sent the following email to TI-Cares:

I wrote:
To Whom It May Concern:

I am the administrator of one of the three major TI calculator enthusiastic programming sites, and we have of course been following with great interest recent rumors of the TI-Nspire CX handheld as well as its official announcement today. As a community, we have been extremely disappointed with the Nspire line of calculators to date, its lack of programming capabilities a particularly sore point among us. Indeed, several Cemetech members have voiced concerns that fewer students will become interested if newer calculators lack programming capabilities; I and many dozens or hundreds of thousands of others students got their first introduction to programming writing math programs or games on their TI-83+ or other calculators. I am now a graduate student pursuing a third and fourth degree in Computer Science, and I feel that my calculator played a big role in getting me where I am today. The point of this somewhat rambling exposition is that the TI-Nspire CX is listed as having a "dedicated programming environment," a fact which has made all in the community to whom I shown that very happy. I was hoping to get some details on the nature of that environment from you, including whether the calculator will be programmable in TI BASIC, either the z80 (TI-83+/84+) flavor or the 68k (TI-89) flavor, in ASM, and/or in C with a desktop IDE. I would appreciate any additional information or reassurances that you could offer me on the programming capabilities of the CX, and I know that if they correct the wrongs of the existing Nspire models, you will make many loyal customers of up to a decade or more very happy.

Thanks in advance,
Christopher Mitchell
Administrator and Founder, Cemetech
http://www.cemetech.net
haha, I sent something like that, except I added that I am still learning to basics (get it?) but it was all thanks to my treasured TI-84+SE. I also mentioned that it would most certainly set the nspire apart from the Prizm, which is a slightly better calc due to it's programming capabilities to people not computer smart Very Happy.
Very nice, Qazz; I hope you'll post if you get a response, and I of course will do the same. I'm disappointed by the confirmed lack of a 2.5mm port on the top edge, but I still live in hope that it might still have an 84+SE emulator, as unlikely as that's looking. I should have asked, rats.
KermMartian wrote:
Very nice, Qazz; I hope you'll post if you get a response, and I of course will do the same. I'm disappointed by the confirmed lack of a 2.5mm port on the top edge, but I still live in hope that it might still have an 84+SE emulator, as unlikely as that's looking. I should have asked, rats.

There is no mention of an 84+ keypad for the CX in this image, so I assume that the 84+ emulation is gone.
Oh no, that makes me very sad. Sad Wait, but then why would anyone want to get the non-CAS Nspire CX?
So they can take the ACT with it.
merthsoft wrote:
So they can take the ACT with it.
Meh, that seems pretty weak; like the Nspire CAS/non-CAS, I'm sure it's the exact same hardware and even mostly software. I want an 84+SE emulator. Sad I guess we'll see if they open up the programming enough to make a C emulator feasible.
I think it's a pretty big difference for students! If I couldn't take the ACT with a calculator, I would not get that calculator. I suppose that depends on where you are, too. The way I learned it in high school is that the ACT was more important in the mid-west, and the SAT was more important on the coasts. Since I was in Ohio, that meant the ACT was a pretty big deal. However, the school I went to is now test optional, which seems to be the trend.
KermMartian wrote:

Of course I will post the response Razz

btw, does the CX have much more memory than the regular nspire, or is there more? I am curious...
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Of course I will post the response Razz

btw, does the CX have much more memory than the regular nspire, or is there more? I am curious...

64MB RAM, 100MB flash. So, twice as much RAM-wise.
I most likely won't be interested unless they offer either Full CAS or C programming capibilities, or any imilarly capable programming language.
TheStorm wrote:
I most likely won't be interested unless they offer either Full CAS or C programming capibilities, or any imilarly capable programming language.
About the same here. If so, I'll probably get a Prizm instead; if it does have good programming features, I'll get both or just the Nspire CX.
I'm just going to play the pessimist for a minute...

Quote:

A dedicated programming environment technically need be nothing more than the BASIC editor. Programming libraries could mean either something like the Openlib( command in the 84+ calcs or the catalog and Var menus. In that case, the former would definitely be superior to the latter. Finally, global access to me implies that you can run programs from wherever you can do math on the Nspire. In other words, it sounds like a lot of jargon to describe the TI-BASIC programming environment we all know and "love."
Qwerty.55, but surely that's a step in the right direction from the previous Nspires and their utter lack of BASIC, is it not?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours