Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
FreeBuild's ingame sounds are messed up. When playing any sound, there is a weird sound after it. I can't describe the sound much, but it sounds like from an old 8-bit game console. Also, the sounds won't go quieter when I go away from it.
SpaceNinja wrote:
FreeBuild's ingame sounds are messed up. When playing any sound, there is a weird sound after it. I can't describe the sound much, but it sounds like from an old 8-bit game console. Also, the sounds won't go quieter when I go away from it.
You mean volume isn't proportional to distance from the emitter?
SpaceNinja wrote:
FreeBuild's ingame sounds are messed up. When playing any sound, there is a weird sound after it. I can't describe the sound much, but it sounds like from an old 8-bit game console. Also, the sounds won't go quieter when I go away from it.

When I transcoded from wav to ogg some things got garbled. Don't worry about it too much, since these are mostly place-holder sounds.
What about the falloff problem he's reporting? Any thoughts on that?
I would presume the datablocks simply haven't been configured to fall off correctly, but honestly I haven't spent much time looking at sound.
elfprince13 wrote:
I would presume the datablocks simply haven't been configured to fall off correctly, but honestly I haven't spent much time looking at sound.
Fair enough, I'm sure you'll get to it. Smile The graphics and physics things are more important to me at this point anyway.
If anybody wants to find some new sounds that would be really cool. Just so long as they are ogg and free (as in beer). I can put some grunt work in finding sounds as well, if nobody wants to help.
CyberPrime wrote:
If anybody wants to find some new sounds that would be really cool. Just so long as they are ogg and free (as in beer). I can put some grunt work in finding sounds as well, if nobody wants to help.
I would think free as in speech would be highly desirable as well, would it not?
Well yea. lol
According to Badspot, .ogg files can't be used for sound effects, at least not in Retail.
Svenne wrote:
According to Badspot, .ogg files can't be used for sound effects, at least not in Retail.
Good thing that this isn't Retail and that Elfprince and Cyberprime have the power to do anything they want to the engine. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Svenne wrote:
According to Badspot, .ogg files can't be used for sound effects, at least not in Retail.
Good thing that this isn't Retail and that Elfprince and Cyberprime have the power to do anything they want to the engine. Smile


This.

But why not just use the original wav files? I can't imagine ogg would be much smaller, and wav is just as compatible with the engine.
Or a miscellaneous option to just disable sound effects for the menu all together.
N wrote:
Or a miscellaneous option to just disable sound effects for the menu all together.

This can be done by simply muting your computer's sounds. And, why would someone want to?
DShiznit wrote:
But why not just use the original wav files? I can't imagine ogg would be much smaller, and wav is just as compatible with the engine.


Actually, ogg is immensely smaller. My core/data/sound is around 4MB. Unfortunately I seem to have deleted my TBM installation, but I seem to remember that it was closer to 20MB.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
But why not just use the original wav files? I can't imagine ogg would be much smaller, and wav is just as compatible with the engine.


Actually, ogg is immensely smaller. My core/data/sound is around 4MB. Unfortunately I seem to have deleted my TBM installation, but I seem to remember that it was closer to 20MB.



Code:
r00t@simms4:~/cemetech0/blockland0002/tbm/data$ du -h sound
88K     sound/energysword
5.8M    sound/brian
168K    sound/sigmafighter
620K    sound/environment
76K     sound/fettblaster
608K    sound/gobbles
2.0M    sound/pelouze
9.1M    sound/da
22M     sound
In the era of terrabyte harddrives, a difference between 4 and 20 mb is about the same as the difference between 4 and 20 kb was 5-10 years ago. But if you're trying to save as much space as possible, I guess I can see why you'd prefer to switch to ogg where you can. I'd still leave wav as an option if a good sound isn't available in another format and doesn't convert well.
DShiznit wrote:
In the era of terrabyte harddrives, a difference between 4 and 20 mb is about the same as the difference between 4 and 20 kb was 5-10 years ago. But if you're trying to save as much space as possible, I guess I can see why you'd prefer to switch to ogg where you can. I'd still leave wav as an option if a good sound isn't available in another format and doesn't convert well.


Particularly for a game without installation media and targeted at low-end hardware, it's nice to keep things small. Keep in mind that while some people have tight graphics requirements, others have tight storage requirements Wink Ogg really isn't going to cut the quality that much in general - part of the problem was just that the wav files themselves were improperly formatted and broke the conversion.
Did you try using Audacity to convert them? There's also Super Video Converter which supports audio-only media formats:
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

As an asside, Super is also great at converting animated gifs and other videos into the png frames used for animated decals in TBM.
I used ffmpeg, which usually does the job for me, and makes batch processing a lot easier with xargs.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement