My friend is trying to set up a server for Minecraft. So far it seems he is having trouble with getting the ports forwarded and using the correct IP address. To double check, the IP we should connect through is the IP he gets from WhatIsMyIP.com, right? And when he forwards his ports, it asks him if he wants to use a specific IP address or not. Which should he do? Also, how should the server.properties file look (or at least, how does Juju's or RCFreak0's look). I'll try to get him to make an account here so he can say specifics. Also, I have used TeamViewer to see his desktop, and I can't find anything wrong with the way he is doing it. Though, I don't have any experience in this sort of thing :/
Yes you would type in the ip from whatsmyip w/e. Make sure you have the port 25565 open on the router to the correct computer on the network. As for the specific ip, just have him find out what his local ip is forward to that and make sure you give that computer a static IP otherwise he'll have to keep changing which ip that port is open for.
As for the server.properties just leave it default. You shouldn't have to change anything unless your using mods and in that case refer to the mod readme.
This is what my port forwarding page looks like...

Specify Public IP Address
Public IP Address: (should this be my ip adress?)

Networked Computer / Device: 192.168.0.6

Protocol
Rule Name Ports Action
Minecraft Server
TCP 25565 -> 25565
UDP 25565 -> 25565

WAN Connection Type: All Broadband Devices
Forward to Port: 25565
When should this rule occur ? Always
I've looked at that, and have no idea :/ Anyone else? Also, Jalo, you may want to look at this: http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php
public IP would be the one you give to other to connect to you.
Just make sure that the port is open to the right machine on the network. Mine is 192.168.1.3, your will probably be different depending. Which means i have port 25565 open to 192.168.1.3
What's a static IP address?
jaloSF125 wrote:
What's a static IP address?

A static IP is so that when your box asks the router for a new IP it gets the same one. eg 192 crap doesn't always change. Static means it stays the same.
Jalo, read the link I posted above.
An IP address that doesn't change.
What should the WAN Connection Type be set as...
All Broadband Devices
Broadband Connection (Ethernet)
or
WAN PPPOE
Shouldn't matter
So for public IP address I put my IP address?
jaloSF125 wrote:
So for public IP address I put my IP address?

Yes.
And "Forward to Port:" should be 25565, not "Same as Incoming Port"?
Jalo told me that he was able to get it started Very Happy Now we just need to make it cracked >:D
So people without paid accounts can join?
Yup (that works too now Very Happy)
_player, mind PM'ing me the IP so I can come check it out? Razz

And is there a way to use a different port for Minecraft servers? How would we have multiple servers behind the same router (on the same computer)? On different computers?
Beta7 wrote:
_player, mind PM'ing me the IP so I can come check it out? Razz

And is there a way to use a different port for Minecraft servers? How would we have multiple servers behind the same router (on the same computer)? On different computers?

You can run multiple servers, if you have the system resources to do so, by changing the port number in the config file. Then just append that port number your IP. For example if you were connecting in your own network and not running on the default port you would do 192.168.1.3:9001 if you had 9001 as the port. This should work if all the ports are open. Ive never tested it, but Ive never needed to run more than one at a time Wink
_player1537 wrote:
Jalo told me that he was able to get it started Very Happy Now we just need to make it cracked >:D
Allow me to remind you that discussion of illegal software piracy is contrary to the Cemetech TOS and can result in penalties ranging from post deletion to the temporary or permanent suspension of your account. I trust as a gmod you will make the right choice.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours