From ticalc.org, "We're Hiring!":

Travis (tev) at ticalc.org wrote:
We're looking to fill a vacancy in the position of primary news editor—featuring programs and writing and posting news. You could be one of the people we're looking for.

The main thing required is time. News editing can be surprisingly time-consuming: talking to people, reading sites, testing out programs, writing and proofreading, and so on. A good familiarity of the current TI calculator scene is naturally also needed so you'll know how and where to find news to post. You'll also need to be reasonably fluent in the written English language, as English is the only language we use on our site.

We're also looking for a long-term commitment as well as high availability. You all know what our users think when there are weeks without updates. If you can work so many hours a day now, but expect not to be able to keep that up for more than a couple of months, this is not what we want. Expect it to be quite time-consuming, but certainly rewarding.

Finally, if you can increase the staff's demographical diversity, that's a plus, but not a requirement. We encourage people, both male and female, from all countries to apply.

Kevin of Omnimaga posted the following:
Kevin wrote:
One thing that might be good to reduce the task of the news editor is to maybe do something like Slashdot and allow user-submitted content, but then review it for grammar/spelling quality control (either correct the few mistakes or reject the news if it's too bad). The staff would still decide what is newsworthy, but this would save them a lot of time. While submitting a news the user could also upload a screenshot which is for example under 20 KB in size and a maximum of 10 frames per second if animated.

That way, while ticalc.org news wouldn't necessarily be your very own stuff, it would save a lot of time and effort from writing articles on your own and when there are several releases in a month, like last September, notable releases wouldn't take a month to get featured anymore. (I remember sending an e-mail to suggest features before, but if the news editors have to rewrite everything from scratch, in addition to do file archiving and dealing with real life, this doesn't help that much)

Unfortunately I am not too sure if I could apply, though, since I am still not that great in English, grammatically-wise.
I responded:
Kerm Martian wrote:
While I agree that there are many programs (and new concepts and hardware, for that matter Wink ) that have not been announced on ticalc.org because of the time necessary for news editors to write and copy-edit articles, I'll take the counterpoint and say that I don't think user-submitted content is a good idea. I think the news would then shy too close towards being a popularity contest, where whoever had the free time or resources to submit more articles, articles with more users voting for it (if you're suggesting voting), etc would have an advantage. One of the great things about ticalc.org is that the staff and editors are "impartial", so to speak; although ticalc.org is the unchallenged hub of the community, they are not of themselves one of the factions of the community. They house no ASM coding groups, no BASIC coding groups; no z80 or 68k groups. They don't favor any one language or calculator or platform (other than TI calculators, obviously), and I think that distinction is important.

Thoughts and opinions? Who's applying?
/me applies.
Meh, I pass, I dont think I have the dedication. I DO hope it will be someone who does not make one article evey other month Razz
qazz42 wrote:
Meh, I pass, I dont think I have the dedication. I DO hope it will be someone who does not make one article evey other month Razz
Agreed, and I'm glad you're being realistic about your time and dedication. I hope that everyone who applies does the same. Souvik, excellent; be sure to use your best grammar and spelling and punctuation. Smile

IRC wrote:
[20:18:10] <nikky> User-submitted content.
[20:18:12] <nikky> We already have that.
[20:18:16] <nikky> It's called contact@ticalc.org
[20:18:17] <nikky> Duh
qazz42 wrote:
Same here.
Who applied? I did. Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
Who applied? I did. Very Happy
Best of luck! I hope you make it. Smile
Kerm Martian wrote:
While I agree that there are many programs (and new concepts and hardware, for that matter Wink ) that have not been announced on ticalc.org because of the time necessary for news editors to write and copy-edit articles, I'll take the counterpoint and say that I don't think user-submitted content is a good idea. I think the news would then shy too close towards being a popularity contest, where whoever had the free time or resources to submit more articles, articles with more users voting for it (if you're suggesting voting), etc would have an advantage. One of the great things about ticalc.org is that the staff and editors are "impartial", so to speak; although ticalc.org is the unchallenged hub of the community, they are not of themselves one of the factions of the community. They house no ASM coding groups, no BASIC coding groups; no z80 or 68k groups. They don't favor any one language or calculator or platform (other than TI calculators, obviously), and I think that distinction is important.

I think Kevin was suggesting /., not Digg. And /. is still an edited site, but the editors rely on user submitted content to choose what gets promoted out of the Firehose.
I agree, but I still feel like the sheer number of projects submitted (and possibly resubmitted) by sites would be proportional to their members, their sense of "us vs. them"-ness, and their free time, and it might lead to some biases that wouldn't be present with a (relatively) impartial editor. One can still email articles/suggestions to contact@ticalc.org, but they don't have to pay any attention (as they have on my two CALCnet emails). Smile
Maybe we didn't want to feature CALCnet, Christopher.
allynfolksjr wrote:

And why not?
0rac343 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

And why not?
I'd assume it's mostly due to the fact that I'm a tardface. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
0rac343 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

And why not?
I'd assume it's mostly due to the fact that I'm a tardface. Wink

You a tardface?
No, he is a tardmuffin. but that's a different story

anywho, good luck to you souvik, and be sure to write an article for my C# WFRNG
I would apply, but I'm overloaded with other work to do. On top of that, I'm hoping to get a job soon. Sad
Another reason for me not to apply would be that I would probably have to deal with some unreasonable people, every five mins getting a request for a quadratic solver.. blah blah blah.... Razz

I will congratz anyone who could deal with that ><
qazz42 wrote:
Another reason for me not to apply would be that I would probably have to deal with some unreasonable people, every five mins getting a request for a quadratic solver.. blah blah blah.... Razz

I will congratz anyone who could deal with that ><
Well, the news editor(s) hopefully don't have to deal with HOWTO questions sent to the ticalc.org staff, so I don't think that would really be a big problem. What might be a problem, though, is people suggesting their little BASIC equation solvers to be featured.
0rac343 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

And why not?

because itz lamzo0rz
Oh, I meant a request on writing an article ABOUT a quadratic solver Razz sorry about not being clear XD
qazz42 wrote:
Oh, I meant a request on writing an article ABOUT a quadratic solver Razz sorry about not being clear XD
Not a problem, now I understand. Nikky, that goes without saying. I would think that would make ticalc.org more interested in it, though. Very Happy Some serious stuff: tev and chronomex and I were discussing on #cemetech whether they're looking for one or more new editors, and they in turn clarified that they're not sure yet. They may want one or more. Also, all staff members may write articles, so the new editor will be supplementing the existing editors' articles, not entirely supplanting them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours