After a handful of weeks spent learning more about AVR-C, the V-USB library for Atmega microcontrollers, and experimenting with hardware, firmware, and host software, I am happy to announce that the so-called "$10 bridge" for globalCALCnet is nearly complete. So named to distinguish it from the thirty dollars necessary to buy an Arduino to build an Arduino-based gCn bridge, the "$10 Bridge" uses only a microcontroller, a USB socket, an RGB LED, a crystal, and a handful of discrete components, the total cost of which sums to roughly that namesake figure. While the device requires slightly more electronics experience and prowess to construct than using an Arduino, it communicates directly over USB, and thus offers faster operation and arguably wider compatibility than the Arduino solution. Pending testing with Merthsoft tomorrow during Cemetech's weekly Have Calc, Will Program collaborative webcast, as well as a few host-side tweaks to detect out-of-order frames and device failures, the gCn 1.0 package will soon be released. I will need to update the gCn whitepaper with information about the new bridge design, its operation, and its construction, as well as re-build the gCnClient software for Linux. Unfortunately, due to geographical constraints, it is unlikely that I will be able to collaborate with Elfprince13 to produce a new Mac OS X gCnClient build to include the $10 Bridge functionality.

Finally, a piece of news that I know is particularly exciting to many Cemetech members, the release of gCn 1.0 will mark the beginning of my efforts to create a direct USB gCn solution that will allow a single TI-84+/SE to connect to globalCALCnet using no other hardware than a miniUSB cable. Myriad technical challenges will present themselves for that project on top of my extreme time constraints this semester, but I shall do my best. Feel free to post in the attached topic, ask any questions, and give me feedback.

Pretty cool, and since the shipping company "lost" my order for the Arduino I might have to go and buy the parts to make the $10 Bridge instead... Sad
Very impressive! For gCn over Direct USB, how will the speed compare to the $10 hub and the Arduino hub?
Very nice work, I look forward to testing it with you tonight Smile
Cool story bro.
0rac343 wrote:
Pretty cool, and since the shipping company "lost" my order for the Arduino I might have to go and buy the parts to make the $10 Bridge instead... Sad
Aww, bummer! Sad How long ago did you order it?

@Souvik: At this point I'm hoping that the speed will be comparable, if not slightly faster. I'm not to sure how I'm going to actually work the calculator-side implementation, because USB lacks the out-of-band synchronization information that lets CALCnet know where frames start, and I'm not sure how the TI-OS chunks transfers, but I guess I'll find out. Smile

@Shaun, Excellent! I'll try to get the Linux client fixed up by then so we can try both.

@Nikky: Cheers.
USB gCn will finally give my USB cables some good use Razz

anywho, great to hear this Kerm! I cannot believe how far this has gotten since I first bugged you to work on it (gCn of course) Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
USB gCn will finally give my USB cables some good use Razz

anywho, great to hear this Kerm! I cannot believe how far this has gotten since I first bugged you to work on it (gCn of course) Very Happy
Thanks Qazz. Smile I'm working on the Linux client at the moment, and finding it quite frustrating how poorly-documented LibUSB 0.1 is. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours