very late: Good to know Kerm, I find that there are games like this where it is too cheap because you can just make the enemy drop down a hole, too easy. this way it is alot more fun Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
very late: Good to know Kerm, I find that there are games like this where it is too cheap because you can just make the enemy drop down a hole, too easy. this way it is alot more fun Very Happy
Yeah, that's my thought as well. The only thing is that once you figure out the correct angle and power to use (and if there are only two players), whoever figures it out first wins, essentially. I guess that's true of every such game, though.
Add some bounce?
elfprince13 wrote:
Add some bounce?
Bounce as in noise on the trajectory? That's not a bad idea. I could also do wind as per Scorch2000. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Add some bounce?
Bounce as in noise on the trajectory? That's not a bad idea. I could also do wind as per Scorch2000. Smile

I meant the tank getting thrown around from the explosion, ala Pocket Tanks.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Add some bounce?

I meant the tank getting thrown around from the explosion, ala Pocket Tanks.
Ah, I'm not personally familiar with that game, but I'll certainly take a look on your recommendation. What about those two alternatives I suggested? Do you think that would work, or feel contrived?
Wind might be nice if we can see some indication of it on screen. Random noise in the trajectory would detract from the skill aspect of the game.
elfprince13 wrote:
Wind might be nice if we can see some indication of it on screen. Random noise in the trajectory would detract from the skill aspect of the game.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Fair enough, then probably during HCWP tomorrow, since I think that's the first significant bit of free time I'll have in the near future, I'll try adding wind (and actually, I can add name display of the current player at the same time).
*bump* Names of the players are now displaying on other calculators while aiming. It will be easy to piggyback wind speed onto that name-send frame; it will be less easy to figure out where in the interface to stick the indicator. Other than that, remaining features before tomorrow's beta:

:: Add wind
:: Add winner's name to Game Over screen
:: Game Over->main menu, not quit.

I noticed, at the start of the GIF animation, Kerm, your projectile hit the ground and didn't explode in a ball like the others. Would a near-dead tank next to the projectile be safe then, since there appears to be no blast radius.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I noticed, at the start of the GIF animation, Kerm, your projectile hit the ground and didn't explode in a ball like the others. Would a near-dead tank next to the projectile be safe then, since there appears to be no blast radius.
It would indeed, and I noticed that as well. I suspect that the projectile may have been going fast enough to skip pixel row 63 and go straight offscreen, which I'll have to detect. Smile Thanks for noticing.
w00t! Scorched Earth is awesome!
0rac343 wrote:
Thanks! Any suggestions for this particular one? The one thing big I'm thinking of adding after today's beta is automatic addition of an AI to play against you if no other calculators are present when you start the game.
KermMartian wrote:
0rac343 wrote:
Thanks! Any suggestions for this particular one? The one thing big I'm thinking of adding after today's beta is automatic addition of an AI to play against you if no other calculators are present when you start the game.

How about tank movement? Just an idea.
Hmm, how would that work? Allow each tank to move a certain amount per turn? Or a certain amount over the whole game?
errr... well I hadn't really thought about that. Would it be easier to have a certain amount over the whole game?

ooh and also maybe add the option of playing multiple rounds per game? (not sure if you already were going to add this.) Very Happy
I had not thought of it, but it's an excellent idea, one about which I should have throught. The main difficulty is that I had planned on not having a Settings screen, but if I add a rounds-per-game, I probably need a settings interface to set the number of rounds. Allow me to review:

:: Fuel? Moving tanks?
:: Multiple rounds per game?
:: Single-player AI?
:: Add wind
:: Add winner's name to Game Over screen
:: Game Over->main menu, not quit.
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, how would that work? Allow each tank to move a certain amount per turn? Or a certain amount over the whole game?

Pocket Tanks allows four drive-forward-or-backward movements per game, so they have to be conserved. Also, did one of Merth's shots get stuck to the ceiling?
Nope, if you look carefully, that's an up-arrow to indicate that the shot is somewhere above the top of the screen. Smile It's a bit easier to see on-calc than it is in that screenshot.
ah, very cool =)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours