Ah, ok, ic then. thats one less thing to worry about when playing now Razz
qazz42 wrote:
Ah, ok, ic then. thats one less thing to worry about when playing now Razz
Indeed, and it will make it more challenging, because you'll have to actually hit your opponents.
Do you have support for multiple weapons planned?
souvik1997 wrote:
Do you have support for multiple weapons planned?
Nope, way too complex for now. That's something for v2.0, if it ever happens. Smile A simple scorched earth game is challenging enough for starters.
*bump* Lots of late-night coding along with Doctor Who, and I have explosions, a few debugged glitches, and even slightly-buggy terrain destruction! This is also fully-debugged parabolic/projectile motion, which continued to be a pain long after I thought it was working.

I can't find a health bar... I see power and angle. Will that be added later?
That looks awesome!
comicIDIOT wrote:
I can't find a health bar... I see power and angle. Will that be added later?
An excellent point, one of which I had reminded myself about and forgotten. All the tanks need health bars. Smile
How do you do your terrain removal?
merthsoft wrote:
How do you do your terrain removal?
The explosion circles are just for show. I pre-computed the integer y locations of the edges for the x coordinates from -8 to 8 of a radius-8 circle, namely:

Code:
YLUT_8PxRad:
   .db 4   ;-7
   .db 5   ;-6
   .db 6   ;-5
   .db 7   ;-4
   .db 7   ;-3
   .db 8   ;-2
   .db 8   ;-1
   .db 8   ;0
   .db 8   ;1
   .db 8   ;2
   .db 7   ;3
   .db 7   ;4
   .db 6   ;5
   .db 5   ;6
   .db 4   ;7
Then I follow these steps in code:

1) Foreach x, X-7 through X+7
2) If terrain top Y is greater than YLUT[x]+circle_Y (remember, higher numbers towards the bottom of screen) do next x
3) If terrain top Y is small than YLUT[x]-circle_Y (in other words, vertial slice of circle is entirely inside terrain) remove 2YLUT[x] pixels from this vertical slice and do next x
4) Otherwise, part of the terrain is inside part of the slice. Subtract (YLUT[x]+circle_Y)-terrain top Y, take that value out of this terrain slice. Do next x.

Does this make sense? Is this what you were thinking?
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Lots of late-night coding along with Doctor Who, and I have explosions, a few debugged glitches, and even slightly-buggy terrain destruction! This is also fully-debugged parabolic/projectile motion, which continued to be a pain long after I thought it was working.

This looks fantastic so far!

As to the 'health' of the tank, are you going to make that a part of the tank's energy, like the version we used to play online?

Also, I am not sure if this has been asked yet, I still need to read through the rest of this topic.. but will this be just 1 on 1, more than 2 players, and will you add bots? I am ok with the lack of extra weapons, but I think it would be cool later on to add them.

Just out of curiosity, what is the possibility of expanding the map outside the confines of the screen to the left and right to make bigger maps and making it more difficult to hit other people?
tifreak8x wrote:
This looks fantastic so far!
Thanks. Smile

tifreak8x wrote:
As to the 'health' of the tank, are you going to make that a part of the tank's energy, like the version we used to play online?
I thought about that, but I decided against it for now. If all the tanks get weakened so that they can't reach each other, it might be annoying.

tifreak8x wrote:
Also, I am not sure if this has been asked yet, I still need to read through the rest of this topic.. but will this be just 1 on 1, more than 2 players, and will you add bots? I am ok with the lack of extra weapons, but I think it would be cool later on to add them.
Two or more players, since it's CALCnet. I just haven't demo'd more than two yet for the sake of my screenshot sizes. Smile

tifreak8x wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the possibility of expanding the map outside the confines of the screen to the left and right to make bigger maps and making it more difficult to hit other people?
Not going to happen for v1.0, but it could certainly be something for the future.
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
Not going to happen for v1.0, but it could certainly be something for the future.
Do you plan on checking versions and making sure unlike versions aren't compatible?
Of course, I'll make them pass different version numbers in the discovery broadcasts.
*bump* Correct parabolic motion! Explosions! Corrected explosion terrain removal! Tank collision detection! Tank health display! Game-over condition detection! Wooo.

Very nice! I _really_ want to try this! Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
Very nice! I _really_ want to try this! Very Happy
Thanks! I'm hoping to at least demo it on Wednesday at HCWP with Merth over gCn, if not sooner. Here's a quick outline of what I still have to do on it before it's ready for a beta:

:: Test and debug >2 players
:: Make the angle/power interface appear at the bottom when it would otherwise cover the aiming tank
:: Fix a small rendering glitch in parabolic motion
:: Display a ^ when the bullet is above the top of the screen
:: Display the username of the currently-playing tank, and of the winner.
this looks great Kerm! Surprised
yunhua98 wrote:
this looks great Kerm! Surprised
Thanks very much; I've been having a lot of fun making this. If I can get a beta going in the next two days, then it will have been one week from inception of the idea to release of a beta, which would more or less be a record for me as far as ASM projects.
Done since yesterday:
:: Test and debug >2 players
:: Fix a small rendering glitch in parabolic motion
:: Display a ^ when the bullet is above the top of the screen
:: Fully repair collision detection

Still to do:
:: Make the angle/power interface appear at the bottom when it would otherwise cover the aiming tank
:: Display the username of the currently-playing tank, and of the winner.
:: Some multiplayer glitches appear present on game launch

Edit: Interface moving added, also a small optimization.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours