KermMartian wrote:
Well yeah, because they were both named ABC. It was correct in thinking that ABC joined. I just tested two Chat instances with the same name and found no problems.

Gotcha; thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll take a little break from my work (well, continue it) and continue to harass your Chat! program for bugs. Wink

Also, if I told you that I've just upgraded DCS from a beta to 7.1.1 (before and after executing prgmCHAT), would that make things clearer?
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Well yeah, because they were both named ABC. It was correct in thinking that ABC joined. I just tested two Chat instances with the same name and found no problems.

Gotcha; thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll take a little break from my work (well, continue it) and continue to harass your Chat! program for bugs. Wink

Also, if I told you that I've just upgraded DCS from a beta to 7.1.1 (before and after executing prgmCHAT), would that make things clearer?
Possibly. As long as both calculators had the same version of Doors CS, all would be fine. However, if one had the Beta, and one had 7.1.1, then they would be unable to send messages, because 7.1.1 fixes a checksum glitch in CALCnet 2.2. DCS versions with the glitch don't notice the glitch, but those with the fix can't talk frames (but they can talk broadcasts) to those with the glitch. Therefore, the two calculators would have been able to see each other, but not to chat.
Kerm, this is the most impressive thing you've done with calcnet2 yet! You actually connected it to IRC?!?!?! Wow! People have dreamed of that ever since the very first calculator hack 15 years ago! And you did it, and it worked, and you pioneered the future of calculators. I am so sorry I wasn't there on irc. Really neat.
adept wrote:
Kerm, this is the most impressive thing you've done with calcnet2 yet! You actually connected it to IRC?!?!?! Wow! People have dreamed of that ever since the very first calculator hack 15 years ago! And you did it, and it worked, and you pioneered the future of calculators. I am so sorry I wasn't there on irc. Really neat.
Cheers, adept; I appreciate your congratulations and good wishes. I hope to release the software and hardware plans necessary to replicate my feat, although Merthsoft/Shaun and Elfprince/Thomas have already seen it in action and tested it. I know that at least Graphmastur is also interested in testing, and I'm not sure who else in the community already has the requisite hardware.
so, just to be sure, if I buy the sockets I dont need to solder anything?
qazz42 wrote:
so, just to be sure, if I buy the sockets I dont need to solder anything?
False. If you buy sockets, you won't have to cut apart unit-to-unit cables, but you will want to do some soldering to firmly connect wires to the 2.5mm stereo female sockets. You're talking about a regular CALCnet2.2 hub, not a gCn bridge necessarily, right?

Also, two things for Shaun and I to implement:
1) Jam when two Chat programs are sending each other frames at once
2) Store SID of current calculator in program, re-ask for username if the SID changes (meaning someone sent the program to a friend)
I am talking about a gCn bridge
qazz42 wrote:
I am talking about a gCn bridge
I will be releasing a short document discussing the construction of gCn bridges today, perhaps we can save your question for that?

Edit: Implemented the SID checking for usernames in Chat. Still need to deal with simultaneous sending on two calcs.
*bump*

1) Tentatively, simultaneous sending on multiple calculators is functional, and will cause each calculator to properly send and receive simultaneously
2) Chat! will now ask for a new username if the SID of the calculator changes (ie, if it is transferred to a new device).

However, this all needs to be tested still.
Can you send me the file and I'll test it after work tonight?
merthsoft wrote:
Can you send me the file and I'll test it after work tonight?
Sent. Smile So far I haven't gotten it to jam or crash, but that's not to say that it couldn't. Especially the new receive-while-sending part; I didn't get a chance to trace out all the different execution paths.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours