I've been working on a reboot of an old project of mine that started off as a simple BASIC ASCII platformer, then moved on to Celtic III hybrid, and with this reboot is now in assembly. The gameplay itself is a hybrid of platformer and RPG. Movement will be in platformer style, but battles will be fought like in classic RPG's. A breif write-up of the story and a few other things can be found here.
Here are some recent screenshots:
This is very cool. Do you have any kind of time line?
At the moment it's all in my head, what little there is. Basically I have just the general story plotted out, specifics I'll work on as I work on the levels.
So "when it's done"?
Yeah pretty much you wont have the full timeline for the story until it's done. I also work on things at random that need to be worked on. Right now I'm focusing on making the RPG battle engine.

Got escaping working, and depending on the enemy your chances could be better or worse, or if it's a boss you could just not be able to escape at all!
I don't mean a story timeline, I mean a project one Wink When can I play this game?!
Ah lol Razz
Well I'm not sure, I'm trying to get a demo out in the next couple of months. I do have a few projects on the backburner that I need to work on too, so the full game wont be out for a while.
I'm glad to have been helping debug pieces of this in some way. The interface and general look-and-feel seems quite unique to me as far as calculator games go, so kudos for that. My only (slightly facetious) concern is that the sword held by the person in the screenshots looks slightly improper. Wink
Thanks!
Yeah I know Razz it's the best I could do though, it's looking a lot better then other variations I've tried >.< I could try moving the whole thing up a bit though, might make it look less improper.

EDIT: Erm, nvm, can't move it up, forgot how close it was. If you have any idea's feel free to edit this sprite and let me know
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/blackmage_back.bmp
Eeems wrote:
Thanks!
Yeah I know Razz it's the best I could do though, it's looking a lot better then other variations I've tried >.< I could try moving the whole thing up a bit though, might make it look less improper.

EDIT: Erm, nvm, can't move it up, forgot how close it was. If you have any idea's feel free to edit this sprite and let me know
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/blackmage_back.bmp
Fair enough. I'm sure it's clear that it's a sword to relatively mature people, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Smile
Lol I wont.
Eeems wrote:
0x5 I wont.
Good. So tell me, for example, what the symbols on the on-screen DPad in the battles mean.
Up is attack, right is magic, left is inventory and down is run away.
Eeems wrote:
Up is attack, right is magic, left is inventory and down is run away.
Nifty, that makes sense, although I hope that's explained ingame somewhere. Smile What other important things should I know about this project?
Haha, I will have a little tutorial for everyone Razz
Well, I'm in the middle of implementing standard attack for the user, and dodging for the enemy. I am somewhat thinking about greyscale, but I will probably not add it. Oh, and I'm planning on making the maps pretty huge (although I have a 32*32 tile limit per map, but I'm talking about the world maps, so a few maps put together) so it will be fun to explore Smile
And your tiles are 8x16? Or is that only the character's sprite that's that size? It sounds like it will indeed be fun to explore!
Tiles are 8*8 but my character sprite is 8*16 masked, same with my enemies, although I will be making bosses bigger Smile

Smile
That looks sweet!

Eeems wrote:
Oh, and I'm planning on making the maps pretty huge
What sort of things will there be to uncover? Like, will there be interact-able objects or puzzles or anything like that?
Thanks!

Hmm, not quite sure yet, but it is a possibility Smile Ideas are forming.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours