Audacity is most likely using very similar code to ffmpeg and I am sure would have done a better job than super video converter. Also if ogg/vorbis is good enough for UT2004 its good enough for Freebuild Smile

Also Flac would be better than wav as well if you really want the lossless stuff but again its not really needed and ogg is perfectly fine and supported well enough on all platforms.
TheStorm wrote:
Audacity is most likely using very similar code to ffmpeg and I am sure would have done a better job than super video converter.

Protip: SUPER is just a GUI for ffmpeg (among other utilities).
The Tari wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
Audacity is most likely using very similar code to ffmpeg and I am sure would have done a better job than super video converter.

Protip: SUPER is just a GUI for ffmpeg (among other utilities).
Good to know, I kinda guess that might be the case but I was to lazy to actually check.
Yeah but it's also an easy way to download everything you need to convert anything to anything all in one package.
Talking about sounds, I think we need new ones. The current ones are very old and low quality.
SpaceNinja wrote:
Talking about sounds, I think we need new ones. The current ones are very old and low quality.

Absolutely.
elfprince13 wrote:
Particularly for a game without installation media and targeted at low-end hardware, it's nice to keep things small. Keep in mind that while some people have tight graphics requirements, others have tight storage requirements Wink Ogg really isn't going to cut the quality that much in general - part of the problem was just that the wav files themselves were improperly formatted and broke the conversion.
16 Mb isn't really that much, even if you have a small HDD. I also think we should wait with converting files until the game plays the format properly.
It's not the format that's the problem, it's the old wav files not liking conversion.
DShiznit wrote:
It's not the format that's the problem, it's the old wav files not liking conversion.

This.

Also thinking "n isn't that much" causes you to build up n repeatedly, until you have 10n or 20n, at which point it's a much harder problem to deal with.
Indeed, space is important, and we should stick to OGG. Does anyone have experience with sounds? Would somebody like to find some high quality ones for us?
I was thinking about recording some cool ones from the radiator in the Linux lab today. It was making all sorts of cool sound effects that I would have enjoyed working with in Audacity.
elfprince13 wrote:
I was thinking about recording some cool ones from the radiator in the Linux lab today. It was making all sorts of cool sound effects that I would have enjoyed working with in Audacity.
Yeah, we need some good sources of sound. Let me know if you can think of anything specific that you need; I'll try to be creative.
I have some experience with audacity if you need another set of hands and ears.
This looks pretty cool: http://www.epicsound.com/sfx/index.php
if you have the time and money(and an xbox) pick up a copy of Mass Effect 1: Platinum Hits Edition. The bonus disc has a featurette on how they designed the sounds for Mass Effect.
Haha, I just stumbled upon this: www.findsounds.com/types.html
CyberPrime wrote:
Haha, I just stumbled upon this: www.findsounds.com/types.html

FindSounds takes the sounds from the internet and we do not know if they're okay to take or not.
Ah, alright, I just stumbled on it and posted it, didn't even look at it for a minute. Nevermind!
CyberPrime wrote:
Ah, alright, I just stumbled on it and posted it, didn't even look at it for a minute. Nevermind!

There are both libre and gratis sound search engines out there.
Royalty free, some free of charge: http://www.flashkit.com/
Royalty free, some free of charge: http://soundbible.com/
Creative Commons: http://www.freesound.org/index.php

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours