KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Good stuff =) Maybe when I'm in NYC we can fiddle about with a Mac build.
Definitely, that would be fun! I'm using a few Windows-specific constructs, but nothing that wouldn't be relatively simple to rewrite for a Mac build, depending on how OS X handles serial ports and sockets.

My suggestion would be to play around on some normal Linux/BSD distributions and get them working there first, and then we can see if we need to do anything additionally special to it going on OS X.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Good stuff =) Maybe when I'm in NYC we can fiddle about with a Mac build.
Definitely, that would be fun! I'm using a few Windows-specific constructs, but nothing that wouldn't be relatively simple to rewrite for a Mac build, depending on how OS X handles serial ports and sockets.

My suggestion would be to play around on some normal Linux/BSD distributions and get them working there first, and then we can see if we need to do anything additionally special to it going on OS X.

I've got mac, windows, and ubuntu, so I can test stuff.
Me too, but that's only useful if you also have access to an Arduino.
elfprince13 wrote:
Me too, but that's only useful if you also have access to an Arduino.

I've got an Arduino duemilanove all wired up. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
exactly what I was asking, sorry if I was being a little unclear. Thanks Kerm, I think that is all my questions for now. I will be waiting for the whitepaper I assume you will make (like with CALCnet) Very Happy
Yeah, that's the plan, although I'd like to get more software written first. It seems the timing occasionally goes out of whack on TI-83+s but not TI-84+s, so I'm not sure exactly what that's about.

*shrugs* Idk, perhaps it has to do with crystal timers or something [/answerpulledoutfromaandmakingstuffupiguess]

so, an arduino... to gather parts and build it myself, or to buy a premade one? I think the latter is better unless you all want me to blow myself up XD
I am excited you finally got this working, it can only get better now!

Hopefully, all we'll need to computer software to link the calcs to a network rather than an Arduino Wink
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
exactly what I was asking, sorry if I was being a little unclear. Thanks Kerm, I think that is all my questions for now. I will be waiting for the whitepaper I assume you will make (like with CALCnet) Very Happy
Yeah, that's the plan, although I'd like to get more software written first. It seems the timing occasionally goes out of whack on TI-83+s but not TI-84+s, so I'm not sure exactly what that's about.

*shrugs* Idk, perhaps it has to do with crystal timers or something [/answerpulledoutfromaandmakingstuffupiguess]

so, an arduino... to gather parts and build it myself, or to buy a premade one? I think the latter is better unless you all want me to blow myself up XD

OH, gather parts then! Just Joking

Buy it from some place. That's what I did. I wish I could buy the new uno, though. I think I'm gonna go buy a usb host shield.
1) Regarding omitting the Arduino: the only other option would be a Blacklink (the serial, DB-9 predecessor to the Silverlink); I would imagine few of you have one and even fewer have a current computer with a serial port. Lionel Debrouxl helpfully confirmed that you cannot in fact individually control the lines in the SilverLink, sadly.

2) Qazz, I'd personally recommend buying a pre-built one if you have no SMD soldering practice or indeed any soldering practice.

3) Elfprince, most heartily agreed. I'll try building it to work on my netbook.

4) Comic, thanks so much! See (1) for my Arduino comments, unfortunately.

5) Qazz, I got it to happen for an 84 as well, so I'll need to try to narrow down where the timing error is occurring, then figure out how to fix it.
2) I DO have a serial port, but I dont think I will be able to find a blacklink :/

5) as I said, I was just making an uneducated assumption that I was not expecting to be right :/
KermMartian wrote:
1) Regarding omitting the Arduino: the only other option would be a Blacklink (the serial, DB-9 predecessor to the Silverlink); I would imagine few of you have one and even fewer have a current computer with a serial port.

It's a DE-9 connector, not a DB-9 one. Smile However, given that the TI-83+ was sold with a BlackLink in the box, wouldn't it be fairly common? (Maybe that's just in the UK, where we don't seem to have moved onto the TI-83+ SE or later).
What about connecting blacklink and a serial to USB cable?

I assume a serial to USB cable would let you control the lines- since it has to talk to a device with a serial port.

Of course, while I have a Serial to USB cable, I don't have a Blacklink. Sad But it might work for those who do but lack serial ports.
@Qazz, no worries, I appreciate you voicing your thoughts. Smile
@Ben, you know, I've made that error before, and you've corrected me on it before, so I can't believe I made it again. Sad Here in the US (as far as I know) the TI-83+ was not sold with a Blacklink, and only the TI-83+ Silver Edition calculators were sold with any computer-calc cable (specifically, a Silverlink).
@TC01, yes, it would, which is exactly what I'm using the Arduino for. To make sure that the proper tight timing is maintained and circumvent any serial buffering that the OS might be hiding from me, the actual CALCnet2.2 protocol is implemented on the Arduino.
USB to serial adaptors may or may not work, depending on how well they have been implemented. Some do not implement all of the control lines, which are required to bit-bang the TI link protocol - or the CALCnet protocol, in this instance (in a similar vein USB parallel port adaptors usually only support the basic "Centronics" protocol, allowing you to print using them but not allowing you to use devices that require a port where you can manually set the state of pins).
Ergh, I forgot to worry about that part. :S I think I'll probably stick with my Arduino solution for the sake of my sanity for now, then. Smile
Any chance of making a client for the Silverlink and other cables?
Eeems wrote:
Any chance of making a client for the Silverlink and other cables?
Fraid not; as I said, I can't individually manipulate the lines. Sad
Oh, sorry missed that.
Is there any way of doing it in the future or something? Like making a new driver for the silverlink? Maybe a slower method that doesn't use them?
Sorry if I'm being a n00b about this, I'm not that experienced with how they work
I don't think anyone knows enough about the USB protocols yet to use them.
You would have to just use the standard TI-OS protocol, which would defeat the purpose of using CALCnet. Smile

Also:
#cemetech on EfNet wrote:
[23:10:51] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has been created with a new client endpoint 'gCnIRCHub'
[23:10:51] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has new calculator AAAAAAAAAA
[23:10:52] <Eeems> it works!?
[23:10:54] *** gCnIRCHub has joined #cemetech
[23:11:12] <@saxjax> (C) *Qwerty.55 has entered the room.
[23:11:12] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has a new client endpoint 'KermIRCClient'
[23:11:13] <+Jonimus> sirc
[23:11:13] <gCnIRCHub> ** entered the room
[23:11:22] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has new calculator 04005B041A
[23:11:23] <@saxjax> (C) [Qwerty.55] Shock
[23:11:24] <Eeems> :O
[23:11:32] <@saxjax> (C) [Qwerty.55] Yay!
[23:11:42] <+Jonimus> and...
[23:11:54] <Eeems> waiting for it!
[23:12:00] <geekboy> so any possibility to use a cheaper arduino Kerm Razz for cheap ppls like me XD
[23:12:02] <geekboy> lol
[23:12:05] <gCnIRCHub> : KermCalc:I am typing on my calc*
So there is no way to use it in the way CALCnet does :/

Can't wait to be able to see this in action with a large group of people Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours