KermMartian wrote:
I should come up with a small phrase to explain this, something like "connecting calculators over the internet".
I think that does a pretty good job.
Quote:
Hahaha, thanks. Smile I should come up with a small phrase to explain this, something like "connecting calculators over the internet".

Ahhhh I got it now! Brilliant statement. XD
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I should come up with a small phrase to explain this, something like "connecting calculators over the internet".
I think that does a pretty good job.
Fair enough, thanks Merth. I'm glad to hear that you'll be building a hub and learning more about microcontrollers. Smile

Edit: And thanks, 0rac343. Smile
Should be fun. I've only ever used PICAXEs, so it'll be neat to see what all the fuss over Arduinos is about.
Thats a really interesting project you've got. And I must say that this is totally *PWN* . Very Happy

This truly shows your 1337 skillz with anything to do with calculators and electronics.
0rac343 wrote:
Thats a really interesting project you've got. And I must say that this is totally *PWN* . Very Happy

This truly shows your 1337 skillz with anything to do with calculators and electronics.
You flatter me, sir. Smile I have fun with this stuff, so I pursue it when it gets frustrating, and I feel accomplished when I push past through difficulties. I'm sure most of you guys could accomplish similar things with sufficient time and perseverance. Smile

@Merthsoft: Next step is for me to figure out a nice case to put my Arduino and a bunch of sockets/plugs into.
This looks really nice! How would a program detect if the calculator is connected to CALCnet or gCn?
souvik1997 wrote:
This looks really nice! How would a program detect if the calculator is connected to CALCnet or gCn?
I've used the following method in Flourish, Netpong, and Chat:

1) Each calculator sends periodic broadcast frames
2) When another calculator sees a broadcast from a calculator it doesn't know about, it sends a directed message back to that calculator introducing itself

This allows both calculators to learn about each other. It can be made more elaborate to mimic a TCP/IP 3-way handshake (SYN, SYNACK, ACK). Alternately, you can just add a calculator to your list of known calcs when you get a broadcast from it. I generally do the broadcasting as a discovery phase before a game begins, as in NetPong and Flourish, although for Chat any calculator can be discovered any time.
Thanks for that, that will definitely be useful for my CALCnet game. Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
Thanks for that, that will definitely be useful for my CALCnet game. Very Happy
Awesome. Smile As I said, I'm more than willing to share all of my calculator setup and management code from things like NetPong; I just need to give myself the free time to separate out the code for you.
Hmmm, just wondering, but will the type of USB port that you use affect gCn in any way? (just a random, wondering thought)
qazz42 wrote:
Hmmm, just wondering, but will the type of USB port that you use affect gCn in any way? (just a random, wondering thought)
As long as it can maintain a 115Kbaud FTDI serial-over-USB connection, I don't think you'll have a problem with USB 1.1 vs. USB 2.0, if that's what you're asking. Smile

As far as progress goes, I'm currently still entrenched in exploring the various glitches that have been cropping up, most at the Arduino end of things.
exactly what I was asking, sorry if I was being a little unclear. Thanks Kerm, I think that is all my questions for now. I will be waiting for the whitepaper I assume you will make (like with CALCnet) Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
exactly what I was asking, sorry if I was being a little unclear. Thanks Kerm, I think that is all my questions for now. I will be waiting for the whitepaper I assume you will make (like with CALCnet) Very Happy
Yeah, that's the plan, although I'd like to get more software written first. It seems the timing occasionally goes out of whack on TI-83+s but not TI-84+s, so I'm not sure exactly what that's about.
Not being familiar with an Arduino setup, does your gcnclient interface with the Arduino over some cross-platform generic Arduino driver, or does it require special device drivers on each platform?
elfprince13 wrote:
Not being familiar with an Arduino setup, does your gcnclient interface with the Arduino over some cross-platform generic Arduino driver, or does it require special device drivers on each platform?
It simply connects to the Arduino as a serual device, in the case of the photograph above, COM4 and COM11 for the two different clients. For this particular setup it's serial by way of USB, but that doesn't really make a difference.
So presumably under Unix environments like OS X, and Linux these would be something like /dev/tty.* rather than COMn?
elfprince13 wrote:
So presumably under Unix environments like OS X, and Linux these would be something like /dev/tty.* rather than COMn?
/dev/ttyS[0-9]+, to be specific. Smile I'll need to write all the proper #ifdefs for Linux and Mac compilation though, once I get everything working satisfactorily from the Windows gcnclient.
Good stuff =) Maybe when I'm in NYC we can fiddle about with a Mac build.
elfprince13 wrote:
Good stuff =) Maybe when I'm in NYC we can fiddle about with a Mac build.
Definitely, that would be fun! I'm using a few Windows-specific constructs, but nothing that wouldn't be relatively simple to rewrite for a Mac build, depending on how OS X handles serial ports and sockets.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours