SirCmpwn wrote:
I can't give a new deadline until I know when I will no longer be grounded, but the new deadline will be 15 days after that date.
OK, so then I'll rephrase my question to match that: what fifteen days of work still remain until you release (stuff), and what therefore will that contain? Smile
Oh, sorry Razz I need to finish the filesystem (easy, but time consuming). After that, I need to make a basic UX that allows you to install and run programs.
Also, in addition to the developer preview, I will be releasing the whole kernel.
That's fair. And the kernel includes (1) bootstrapping (2) filesystem (3) tasking and scheduling (4) anything else?
Bootstrapping?
It also contains memory management, text routines, keyboard routines, graphic routines... I just put in as many routines as possible, because Page00 is off limits to the filesystem. I filled it with routines to avoid wasting the lost filesystem space.
Bootstrapping as in setting up the interrupt, initializing the task switcher, setting up some tasks to run, etc. Technically it would also be what sets up the filesystem on a reset, etc.
In that case, yes. The kernel handes bootstrapping, filesystem access, basic I/O routines, and finally runs /os/boot.kxe.
SirCmpwn wrote:
In that case, yes. The kernel handes bootstrapping, filesystem access, basic I/O routines, and finally runs /os/boot.kxe.
That makes sense, good to hear. Is (or rather, *will [it] be) /os/boot.kxe an actual part of your filesystem, with an /os/ folder and a boot.kxe file, or will it be in a fixed location? What will it do if no os folder is found, or if there is no boot.kxe file in the os folder?
It *is* a read only undeletable file. The calculator crashes if it isn't there, but it can be restored via kernel maintenance (which can be run even if /os/boot.kxe isn't there. /os/ is intended to contain all of the files that contain the OSes basic functionality.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours