I think as a preventative measure, I should make it so that if you ++ yourself, it actually subtracts one from your score. Thoughts?
subtracts from you and gives to a random name on the list would be better punishment.
That seems to be rewarding person A for person B's bad deeds, though. I'd rather just punish person B. Maybe it could keep track of how many times you've done it and subtract double each time. So first it subtracts 1, then 2, then 4, 8, 16, ... .

On second though, that gets big pretty fast, and I don't want my bot to overflow... Maybe just subtracting one each time is enough. I'd still rather not give it to a random person, though.
merthsoft wrote:
That seems to be rewarding person A for person B's bad deeds, though. I'd rather just punish person B. Maybe it could keep track of how many times you've done it and subtract double each time. So first it subtracts 1, then 2, then 4, 8, 16, ... .

On second though, that gets big pretty fast, and I don't want my bot to overflow... Maybe just subtracting one each time is enough. I'd still rather not give it to a random person, though.

Why limit yourself to a constant decrement or a geometric series? Subtract n on the nth violation (or sqrt(n), whatever you like).
Hmm, I think that's getting too fancy. I'm also going to add an !unlink function, in case names get accidentally linked. It won't be able to restore any scores (like, if you link two names, their scores get added. Unlinking won't be able to fix that), but it's good for typos, like:
22:52 <+iTanner> !link Sir_dTal dTql
On that note, don't be dumb when you add the links, guys...
!unlink would be excellent. Smile And yeah, be smart about your links; don't be like me. Wink
I added abuse-protection in the form of decrementing someone if they attempt to increment themselves. I've also added auto-rejoin in case he floods (which can happen if a bunch of people !top and !karma). I've also added auto-reconnect in case my internet goes out.
Can you add a bit of a delay in between the rejoin for the sake of making such a flood get ameliorated? Very nice on all the new features and tweaks, of course.
Sure, what do you think, 2 seconds? 5 seconds?
merthsoft wrote:
Sure, what do you think, 2 seconds? 5 seconds?
I was thinking 5 or 10 seconds; your call, since you're both a gMod and the creator of the project. I trust your judgment on it.
Since we both suggested 5, that seems like a good amount. If we notice that that is too much or too little, I can adjust it.
merthsoft wrote:
Since we both suggested 5, that seems like a good amount. If we notice that that is too much or too little, I can adjust it.
It seems to be about five to seven seconds now, which seems to me to be fine.
I've added the ability to check karma from saxjax. Next to add is !unlink and ^++.
"!unlink name" would destroy the link between "name" and its link. This only works one way. So, if you have shaun => merth and do "!unlink shaun" it'll unlink shaun from merth. However, "!unlink merth" won't do anything to that link.
"^++" is something I'm still deciding on. It would give a point to the last person who said something (unless that last thing was "^++", in which case it would go to the person before that, etc.). My reservation is that points could get stolen from someone, e.g.:
Quote:
12:34:56 <KermM> I did something really cool and should get points.
12:35:02 <Merth> Yeah right, you suck.
12:35:03 <tanner> ^++
12:35:03 <Jonimus> ^++
Clearly That was meant for KermM, not Merth. It could check the time stamps, but that wouldn't quite work either for similar reasons.

So what do you guys think about !karma from sax, !unlink, and ^++?
A minute.
Maybe a way to negate your "^++" so that if it does go to the wrong person, you can direct it to the right person.
_player1537 wrote:
Maybe a way to negate your "^++" so that if it does go to the wrong person, you can direct it to the right person.
Hmm, I guess. It seems like it'd just be easier for people to put the person's name. I hate the whole "^" thing, anyway.
^
Also, I'd like to point at that doing "tifreak_++++++++++" doesn't give tifreak_ 5 karma points, it give "tifreak_++++++++" one karma point. I suppose I should fix that, too. Except that's not proper syntax Wink
merthsoft wrote:
Also, I'd like to point at that doing "tifreak_++++++++++" doesn't give tifreak_ 5 karma points, it give "tifreak_++++++++" one karma point. I suppose I should fix that, too. Except that's not proper syntax Wink
Fully aware that it doesn't give him 5 points, but could you match on /\+\++/ instead of on exactly /\+\+/, couldn't you? Also, I'm not overjoyed about the flip/roll thing.
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Fully aware that it doesn't give him 5 points, but could you match on /\+\++/ instead of on exactly /\+\+/, couldn't you?
Would that make it so that it gives tifreak 5 points?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours