The other I had a lucid dream AND IT WAS AWESOME! Its actually not as easy as you'd think to control them, but I managed to learn how to fly lol.

I started by jumping. I repeatedly tried to replicate the feeling I had in mid air and managed to "levitate"

Ok...its not flying, but still pretty cool to float around Razz So what about everyone else? Have you ever had an LD? What was it like?
I have. I have only done it once. Only once.

I changed the perception of time, man.
I lived out days in a matter of hours.

It was glorious.
Raylin wrote:
I have. I have only done it once. Only once.

I changed the perception of time, man.
I lived out days in a matter of hours.

It was glorious.

I had a few, but have only managed levitation Sad Should learn something more useful like creating and controlling bolts of lightning with my hands.hehe.
I had a lucid dream once, but I got freaked out and held my breath until I woke up.

Ever had the Tetris effect? Sometimes it is a lucid dream, and I have had this happen to me several times in my life.

Quote:
The Tetris effect occurs when people devote sufficient time and attention to an activity that it begins to overshadow their...dreams.

I once played basketball with my brother all day. When I tried to sleep that night, I was half asleep and half awake, but I was dreaming... of basketball. I would make a jump shot, and in real life my legs would make the motion, thus freaking my brother out.

Also happened after having a zombie game marathon while sleep deprived, I threw my arms out spazticly when a zombie was close to me in in my dream.
More times than I can remember. I spend the entire night finishing a program or doing something I planned to do the next day in my sleep and not want to do it when I wake up because I'm sick of doing it.

I've heard several great people have used it to solve issues in real life. I think Thomas Eddison was one.
I can't lucid dream. Every time I attempt to take control of a dream, I wake up instantly :/
Lucid dreaming is different. You have to lay still and awake until you're body falls asleep but your mind is still active or something. I forget exactly how it's achieved, but it's not through typical sleep/dreaming.
Lucid dreams are great until you realize you're trapped. Had one like that the other night and couldn't pull myself out of it no matter what I tried. It was scary as all hell. Last night I had a dream I was about to sleep with 3 beautiful women, then I had to pee IRL. That sucked so hard.
I looked it up, the lucid dreaming I'm familiar of, is wake-initiated (where one goes from being awake to dreaming with no apparent lapse of consciousness.)
comicIDIOT wrote:
Lucid dreaming is different. You have to lay still and awake until you're body falls asleep but your mind is still active or something. I forget exactly how it's achieved, but it's not through typical sleep/dreaming.

Once on /x/ I saw a thread about lucid dreaming, and somebody said you can do it by lying on your back and resisting all urges to move, eventually you can trick your mind into thinking you are asleep when you are really still awake. I don't really trust anything from the Internet Hate Machine, but it's info.
I experience what you're calling the "Tetris Effect" every time I help out at the greenmarket; weighing fruit and summing up prices and making change generally falls below my normal level of mental stimulation and repetition to the point where it becomes nearly automatic, which seems to be a requirement for this "Tetris Effect".
Bump

Wow wasn't expecting a Lucid Dreaming topic on Cemetech!

This has been one of my larger interest in the past year now!

For informations sake though.
1) You can lucid dream in other ways then Wilds (Wake Initiated Lucid dreaming) which was posted in this thread earlier.
2) laying on your back and resisting all urges can lead to Lucid Dreams 99% of the time it just leads to insomnia xD

For me I have had a few lucid dreams have yet to get the nack of flying though :/ I have learned on the other hand that dreams are children of your intent. By this I mean that if you intend for something to happen and believe it will, once your lucid this should be easy enough xD , it will happen!

As for the Tetris effect one can technically use that to there advantage to Lucid Dream. As in wait i was just doing this.....o hey I'm dreaming. or something very similar

So who else pursues this topic? or wishes they could?
I had 2 lucid dreams if I remember

1. I could fly. Fly low, but fly nonetheless. I managed to hold onto this one for a good while Very Happy

2. I was in Castlevania... I woke up right after I controlled the dream and sent myself to Castlevania ;.;

EDIT: Is there any way to make myself have a lucid dream without a 9001$ machine?
Ouch that stinks mate and addfasgas I want to fly so bad ;.;

The only dream i had in which i tasted flying wasn't even flying

The dream (yeah i enjoy typing them out)

Code:

when the dream started I was at a picnick table with my family and and some of our friends. I look around and relise I am up on a little terrace with some more people i know down below cooking. My mother told me to go explore and have fun. So i hoped down and saw this carnival ride off to the side some and decided to take a look at it. i walk on over to it and start looking at it. some more people that i know are on it and look like there having a blast. I start talking with the operator of the ride when it suddenly breaks down, luckily no one was hurt. well since I could no longer take a ride of my own on it. At this point I decided to go to talk to the people who were cooking, I no longer have any idea what we were talking about all i know is the conclusion to the event was that we were all meeting in a pick nick area on the other side of the lake/river thing. So i started my journey around the lake and i walked threw the woods for a bit and I came to a branching one that lead to the pick nick area and another one that also led there just a lot faster. I took the short of the two routes and soon found my self on a beach that was a thin forest to my right and a desert like lake to my left. i kept walking and soon there was an abrupt stop in the woods and the lake looked like straight sand. I could feel the wind picking up as well so I thought to my self that I need to get across it fast. As soon as I started running the wind picked up so much that i got flung 100 feet in the air. During this time all that was going threw my mind was WHERE DID THE GROUND GO!! I was suspended for a good minute or 2 in which time I learned how to stop my self from getting hurled out into the sand. Then the wind dropped me and I fell and landed on my legs. I felt the pain of hitting the ground and immediately woke up. My real life legs spazzed in pain momentarily and I was out of breath as well when I woke up

So in short I got Flung into the air by wind it felt really awesome until I found the sand T.T
There were a few rare occasions earlier in life where I would realize that I'm dreaming during the dream—that was my introduction to lucid dreaming, but I always thought it was normal for those to happen occasionally and didn't realize at the time that they were particularly special and that there were some people who didn't get them. For a long time, I never could figure out how to actually control things that happen in the dream, though.

In recent years, I started getting more interested in them when I started learning that it actually was possible to achieve fun things with practice. Also, I really love having the opportunity to screw around with stuff in dreams, trying to figure out what makes them tick.

Flying for me took ages, though. I've always wanted to do that. I had to keep at it persistently for many months or longer, but eventually I finally got to the point now where I can fly (or at least hover in midair) with pretty much 100% reliability. It's impossible to resist now—I do it in every single lucid dream (it's actually the main method I use now to determine whether or not I'm actually dreaming). Unfortunately, I'm still trying to work out some annoying limitations where I inexplicably can't go above a certain height or speed for some reason. I need to get past this so I can start exploring outer space. Very Happy

I've occasionally been able to do other interesting things like making things happen or objects appear and even (a couple of times) change the sky different colors at will. My main priority for now, though, is to overcome the big challenge of making arbitrary characters appear in the dream when I want. This is another really hard one for me, like flying used to be, since it's another thing I really want to do (the stuff I want to do the most always seems to be the hardest, but it's worth it).

Another fascinating effect for me: I seem to have temporary amnesia of most of my real-life memory during most dreams. I often can't remember much of real life, and if I keep trying, my memory tends to totally fabricate some nonsense and fool me into thinking it's a real memory. It's as if dreams put me inside a “virtual machine” and filter access to my long-term memory without making the filter's existence obvious. (This isn't limited to lucid dreams, though; false memories are actually a regular feature of my dreams.)

Everyone else seems to have somewhat different experiences in these areas, though, which makes this whole thing even more curious.

DShiznit wrote:
Lucid dreams are great until you realize you're trapped.

I'm usually “trapped” in lucid dreams myself. I found that out early on, when I would get frustrated not being able to leave a dream when I got bored of it. But nowadays I have no rational reason to end a lucid dream. They're just too fun for me to voluntarily leave, and I never run out of ideas to try.

xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Ever had the Tetris effect? Sometimes it is a lucid dream, and I have had this happen to me several times in my life.

I have that effect, although rather than affecting actual dreams, it tends to instead affect my mental (non-dreaming) thoughts just before falling asleep. There's a point as I fall asleep where my mind starts to wander entirely on its own, just as if I were dreaming except it's still taking place in my mind rather than actually replacing my sensory input like dreams do. It's difficult to detect, though, because I've generally also mostly lost consciousness at this point. In rare cases I go back to full alertness instead of to sleep and get lucky enough to remember roughly what was going on.

I remember once when I was falling asleep and imagined ejecting a DVD from the drive in my computer. My mind then for some reason decided to make the DVD shoot straight up into the air while wildly spinning like a flying saucer as soon as it came out, startling me back awake. I found that quite funny.
Haha, that last paragraph made me laugh aloud, thanks for that. Very Happy It seems to me that I'd have a very hard time differentiating between lucid dreams that I control and normal dreams that progress with me as myself but not in control. Perhaps I have had some lucid dreams and haven't realized it? Is it that extraordinary of a feeling that I would have been able to tell I was in control?
The usual definition of “lucid dream” is a dream where you simply realize “hey, this isn't real life, it's a dream!” while the dream is still taking place. Controlling things in the dream is a separate thing—it's possible to know you're in a dream and experience it in real time (be lucid) but without being able to will everything you want into happening despite knowing it's a dream and that it's theoretically possible.

Some people seem to have an easier time becoming lucid in dreams than others. Likewise, it seems some people have an easier time controlling things in dreams while others have to work at it a bit.
I've had a fair number of dreams where I do indeed realize it is a dream, a few where I've been both unsuccessful and successful in trying to break out of the dream, but I think very few if any where I've been able to take control of the dream. Thanks for the clarification, Travis; I'll probably give this a try soon.
That's been pretty much my own experience with them. The main thing that always disappointed me when I was young was lack of control—I found it ironic that I knew it was a dream yet couldn't change anything in it or control when it ended. There were one or two rare exceptions (my favorite one being able to pass through solid objects like a ghost and slipping right past fences, houses, and an aggressive dog behind my back yard and exploring what lay beyond—I still have yet to succeed in doing this again), but for the most part, I seemed to have little influence on the dreams.

I played with lucid dreams a little here and there over the years, but gained a big resurgence in interest around 2005–2006 or so when I started doing research and finding from others' experiences that dream control could be a possibility. After a great deal of practice, I started making some real progress since then, making the whole endeavor increasingly more exciting with time.
WoW topic boom guess i'll dish out info in order then?

quazz
Quote:
Is there any way to make myself have a lucid dream without a 9001$ machine?

To answer that effectivily we need to know a bit about your sleeping habbits such as
1) how much sleep a night you get
2)how many of your dreams do you remember a night
3)how aware are you normally during the day/dreaming

There are many ways to be able to lucid dream but we get get you onto a easier path with that info ^_^

Travis
Quote:
[...] 'm still trying to work out some annoying limitations where I inexplicably can't go above a certain height or speed for some reason. I need to get past this so I can start exploring outer space.

Quote:
I've occasionally been able to do other interesting things like making things happen or objects appear and even (a couple of times) change the sky different colors at will. My main priority for now, though, is to overcome the big challenge of making arbitrary characters appear in the dream when I want. This is another really hard one for me, like flying used to be, since it's another thing I really want to do (the stuff I want to do the most always seems to be the hardest, but it's worth it).

No idea how many stories I have read about people with this exact same issue and it all boils down to you internal belief system. By this I mean when you dream you can only do things your subconscious believes you can do. Whether its making random things appear out of thin air or flying.

By that blurb I mean once you realize your in a Dream you have to modify your beliefs and change them to the current reality's one or else you will be stuck here on earth with human powers in a land of your mind ^_^

Also a suggestion to help. in lucid dreams your sensory perception cant be over loaded but it can be made to overreact which can be put to good use. When your dreaming form your intent for what you want to appear change or even a whole new world you want to go to, Concentrate hard on it and spin over your center axis (think spinning like a top) and go as fast as you can for a few moments if you believed in what you wanted strong enough it will be there when you finish (not if your not ready for it this could also collapse the whole dream and drop you in a void where you can remake your dream from scratch Wink )

@Kerm , Travis
Oh and one more suggestion if things aren't clear or are fogged shout "increase lucidity/ awareness/ memory " ect reallly loud your subconscious is listening and more than willing to help at that point ^_^ and shouting those will get it to oblige and make those statements happen!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours