Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
merthsoft wrote:
Svenne wrote:
IE is the worst browser in existance, ignore it.
That's, um, that's very bad advice.
It's not our fault MS cannot follow web standards.
merthsoft wrote:
Svenne wrote:
IE is the worst browser in existance, ignore it.
That's, um, that's very bad advice.
Seconded. If you ignore it, up to 50% of the internet will be unable to properly use your website.
From what I know, IE has less than 45% of the market now. It's mostly thanks to the browser choice update distributed in Europe. People are starting to realise how bad IE really is.
Svenne wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Svenne wrote:
IE is the worst browser in existance, ignore it.
That's, um, that's very bad advice.
It's not our fault MS cannot follow web standards.

It is your fault if you continue to perpetuate the myth that Microsoft do not care for web standards, however. IE 6 was indeed horribly broken, and yes Microsoft did do a lot of damage by not updating it for five years, but they have made leaps and bounds in IE 7, 8 and 9.

When you rattle on about "how bad IE really is", what exactly are you basing that on?
Start up IE 8 or older, and go to this website, and you'll see why Razz
Svenne wrote:
Start up IE 8 or older, and go to this website, and you'll see why Razz
As much as I rail against IE, I hate the ACID test too. It's horribly, terribly contrived, and proves nothing about real-world use cases.
KermMartian wrote:
Svenne wrote:
Start up IE 8 or older, and go to this website, and you'll see why Razz
As much as I rail against IE, I hate the ACID test too. It's horribly, terribly contrived, and proves nothing about real-world use cases.

Indeed. Even Firefox 3.6 doesn't pass Acid 3. And as for real-world scenarios, as badly as IE 8 may do on the test I have not had to make any concessions in my CSS to support it.

I'm not a great fan of IE from a user's perspective (though I do like its developer tools) but I can at least acknowledge that Microsoft have done a good job in fixing it in recent years. If only people would update...
IMO Acidtest is a good measure for how a web browser handles web standards. Besides, I think we should discuss this in another thread and stop derailing this one.
EDIT: Even if FF 3.6 doesn't pass Acid3 with maximum points, it still fares a lot better than IE 8 (95% v. 20%)
Svenne wrote:
IMO Acidtest is a good measure for how a web browser handles web standards. Besides, I think we should discuss this in another thread and stop derailing this one.
I disagree, I think it's a good measure of what percentage and precision of the more obscure, infrequently-used standards each browser implements and obeys. I would certainly not want to be a browser programmer who would need to implement near-infinite spaghetti code just to capture every possible use (and abuse) of the standards, including trying to sanely handle people forgetting opening and closing tags and all the other headaches of human-written markup.

Edit: And I think we have enough browser wars threads already; I vote that we just wind this one down and return to the topic at hand.
I agree Smile
The layuot looks good, but I'm not too fond of how the color scheme matches the background, and the background itself is a bit distractive. Still, it's a lot better than anything I could produce.
YAY! I only added one line of code but it looks much better now. I feel that the background isn't annoying anymore, because it will not scroll with the mainbody div.

www.davidgom.co.cc

What do you think?
Better - though your site is still referencing things that don't exist (the aforementioned framebreaker() and favicon.ico).
benryves wrote:
Better - though your site is still referencing things that don't exist (the aforementioned framebreaker() and favicon.ico).



I have to delete those lines... in all pages Razz
Much better except for the things that Ben mentioned. I'd still tone down the loudness of the background a bit if it was my site, but it's not, so you're welcome to make the design judgment there. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Much better except for the things that Ben mentioned. I'd still tone down the loudness of the background a bit if it was my site, but it's not, so you're welcome to make the design judgment there. Smile


I want to change the background, but:

"tone down the loudness of the background", what does that mean?

I can't understand exactly *what* to change, that's why I have changed it yet Sad
It's quite high contrast, which makes it stand out. If you look at most websites their backgrounds are low contrast in comparison to the foreground. I think it looks fine as it is now, though you may wish to experiment with making the dark grey slightly lighter and the light grey slightly darker to reduce the contrast.
benryves wrote:
It's quite high contrast, which makes it stand out. If you look at most websites their backgrounds are low contrast in comparison to the foreground. I think it looks fine as it is now, though you may wish to experiment with making the dark grey slightly lighter and the light grey slightly darker to reduce the contrast.


That said it all, I will do that right away!
ScoutDavid wrote:
benryves wrote:
It's quite high contrast, which makes it stand out. If you look at most websites their backgrounds are low contrast in comparison to the foreground. I think it looks fine as it is now, though you may wish to experiment with making the dark grey slightly lighter and the light grey slightly darker to reduce the contrast.


That said it all, I will do that right away!
Looks much better, and it still retains the distinctive style you had going while removing much of its retina-scarring intensity. Smile
(MAJOR?) Updates Very Happy

Added an utilities page:

www.davidgom.co.cc/utilities.html

Only utility so far is a PHP Random Password Generator:

www.davidgom.co.cc/random.html



If I were you I'd be careful with stuff like:

The passwords don't seem that random at all to me; what's the algorithm?
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement