Hey guys,

As some of you might know I've been working very hard in my website:

www.davidgom.co.cc

Well, today I made some major updates again and would like to get some feedback on it.

The goal of this post is to get feedback and help with WebDesign and WebProgramming, not to advertise.

WHILE Posting this I remembered a bug with the contact form, I'll fix it right away xP

EDIT: Fixed the bug Smile
A couple of tips:
1. That background has got to go. It's too trippy, it's like looking at one of those optical illusions where you move your head and everything else moves.
2. The link color should be a little lighter. It's a little too dark on the black background.

Other than that it seems pretty good.
Agreed with merthsoft on both counts.

If you're advertising your services as a web developer you may want to ensure that your website validates (for that matter, the Google Analytics stuff should go immediately before the </body>, not right at the top of <head>).

Edit: In case that sounds excessively negative, I do like the site otherwise. Smile Good luck!
Agreed with Merth and BenRyves on both counts, and I like the site otherwise. I think both your link and vlink colors (blue and purple) should be lighter values of those colors or different lighter colors.
Yes, I agree with the previous statements. That background makes me dizzy.
A few grammatical notes:

- "Texas calculators programmer". No, you're a "Texas Instrument calculator programmer". Smile
- For this type of website, I'd prefer that in the Calculator tab you use the more formal "screenshot" instead of "screenie" and "screen"
- Formulum tab: "values like the radium". No, radius. Radium is a radioactive element. Smile
- On the index, "invest in" rather than "invest on".
merthsoft wrote:
A couple of tips:
1. That background has got to go. It's too trippy, it's like looking at one of those optical illusions where you move your head and everything else moves.
2. The link color should be a little lighter. It's a little too dark on the black background.

Other than that it seems pretty good.

First of all, thanks everybody.

Now, you merth, which colour, the link when clicked or the non-clicked blue? I can change both Very Happy

Kerm, the grammar errors are really helpful, nice to see you read the text and changing them.

Already changed background, hope it looks less dizzy.

The Google Analytics code has also been changed.

(Not updated yet, after a few more things I will Very Happy)
I think perhaps a light aqua for a.link and light pink or light orange for a.vlink? And you are most welcome.
KermMartian wrote:
I think perhaps a light aqua for a.link and light pink or light orange for a.vlink? And you are most welcome.
~

Thanks. I changed it and uploaded it, like it?

New background aswell.

If you think it is repetitive I have an idea: fix it and only the div scrolls down like it is in some blogs, I'll just have to learn it.

Like it?
Interesting. I like how clean it is. You may want to use Download buttons as well, instead of links; it draws more attention.

Here are some really, really nitpicky things:

Also,
Quote:
...Flash is the new generation programming language...

BAH.
rthprog, thanks much, I redesigned the contact form and made some updates to the website Smile
I disagree on the contact form background-color-on-focus. I find those kinds of javascript tricks somewhat obnoxious. The only one I might possibly live with is greying-out when submit is clicked.
KermMartian wrote:
I disagree on the contact form background-color-on-focus. I find those kinds of javascript tricks somewhat obnoxious.
Good thing you'd usually do that with CSS, then. Wink I agree that it may not look very good, though.

Speaking of JavaScript, though, the site calls framebreaker() in the body onload, but there is no declared function with that name.
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I disagree on the contact form background-color-on-focus. I find those kinds of javascript tricks somewhat obnoxious.
Good thing you'd usually do that with CSS, then. Wink I agree that it may not look very good, though.

Speaking of JavaScript, though, the site calls framebreaker() in the body onload, but there is no declared function with that name.
Sorry, "those kinds of dynamic tricks". My limit is some subtle mouseovers on images (see also Cemetech section links in the header).
Ah, CSS has various pseudo-classes for that sort of thing, e.g. textarea:focus { background-color: blue; } or li:hover { background-image: url(...); } You can do some interesting things with these, e.g. drop-down menus that are purely driven by CSS.

(Of course, old versions of IE will require a JavaScript workaround: IE 6 only supports :hover on <a> elements and IE 7 doesn't support :focus. Hurrah. Can't people get a move on and update to IE 8?) Razz
Apparently not. Sad I am trying to find some statistics on the percentage of IE users using IE6, but I didn't see any reliable numbers.
IE is the worst browser in existance, ignore it.
In my website statistics, Chrome wins with more than half followed by Firefox, then Safari, then Opera, then IE then Camino.
Svenne wrote:
That's, um, that's very bad advice.
Svenne wrote:

Old versions are certainly limited, but it still has a strong overall market share. It accounts for 28.1% of hits to my website, certainly, of which 15.1% are from IE 8 (5.2% IE 7, 7.1% IE 6) (based on 344927 hits this month). Kerm should be able to provide statistics for a larger number of hits, though being a technically-orientated site the results will be skewed.

I reckon there'll be a spike in IE 6 usage due to corporate customers being stuck on old XP-era machines and not upgrading due to Intranet software not operating correctly under later versions of IE.

Looking at my server statistics I do wonder if there really are people still using Windows 3.xx or Windows 95 or if people have just changed their user agent to screw with people looking at the logs. Admittedly I do need to update the statistics package: Vista is still listed as "Longhorn" and "Windows NT" is the second most popular version of Windows (presumably that's 6.1, aka Windows 7, and not NT 4).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours