Here's the first released screenie of my current project, Powder. It's a calculator port of this game, although it's unfortunately limited in elements and color.

PS: Yes, the cursor sprite is from Doors. I've never been able to make a better one.
You should use the Doors CS libraries, then! Laughing Doors CS would easily let you do things like that with a mouse hook. Smile At any rate, it looks very fast, and a lot of fun. Are you using Axe or ASM?
The project is currently Hybrid Axe/ASM, although that screenie is pure Axe. But I'm not using Doors CS7 libraries because I want it to be compatible with all shells and the current project is actually Greyscale.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
The project is currently Hybrid Axe/ASM, although that screenie is pure Axe. But I'm not using Doors CS7 libraries because I want it to be compatible with all shells and the current project is actually Greyscale.
Ah, the grayscale part makes sense. I was under the impression that since Axe generally seems to appeal to people who don't know, can't understand, or don't feel like attempting ASM, that there were few or no hybrids, so it's nice to hear about one. Smile Out of curiousity, with which other shells are you trying to maintain compatibility? Basic Ion?
I think of Axe as more a library of routines that I can't screw up than as a language, so I have no problems intermixing the two, especially if something can be done easily in Asm, but not in Axe such as like Floating point math.

And I'm trying to make Powder nostub compatible so that everyone can use it.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
I think of Axe as more a library of routines that I can't screw up than as a language, so I have no problems intermixing the two, especially if something can be done easily in Asm, but not in Axe such as like Floating point math.
Good, I think that's the best way to do it. Smile

Quote:
And I'm trying to make Powder nostub compatible so that everyone can use it.
Fair enough, I can understand that, and I wish you luck. Smile I hope in the future you might consider the restriction of Doors CS in exchange for all the routines and power it offers. Smile
After losing all of the code, I've decided to revive it. I'm currently working on the routines in a couple of other projects. You can see the greyscale mouse in this Command Line demo:

Very pretty looking Smile Good work, though I don't see why a powder game needs a command line, I won't argue Razz
It doesn't. I've just been meaning to learn lexical analysis for some time and I figured this was the best way.
_player1537 wrote:
Very pretty looking Smile Good work, though I don't see why a powder game needs a command line, I won't argue Razz
I was going to say the same thing; I'm glad you asked first. Wink Looking good there, Qwerty; grats.
This seems interesting enough. Hopefully you'll add more different elements once you get this project really going. And a quick question Qwerty.55
Are you going to add fighters and a Player function like in the original? Maybe use gCn to have linked calculators to play in the same "room" and run around with it?
Oooh, that would be most impressive! Although I think you mean CALCnet; gCn is just an extension of CALCnet to bridge networks via the internet. Smile
0rac343 wrote:
This seems interesting enough. Hopefully you'll add more different elements once you get this project really going. And a quick question Qwerty.55
Are you going to add fighters and a Player function like in the original? Maybe use gCn to have linked calculators to play in the same "room" and run around with it?

No, for the simple reason that the physics of the joints would be a nightmare and the processor is already going to be handling at the very least hundreds of particles already. gCn is an interesting idea, though. That would allow the fighters to exist as well as more particles because the whole thing could easily be computed server-side and simply displayed on-screen with any additions.
Oh, that reminds me, I need to start a topic brainstorming some calculator games or programs that would be impossible without gCn but can be made possible with gCn and server-side processing.
Here's a quick screenie I drew up last night in monochrome:

Quote:

0rac343 wrote:

No, for the simple reason that the physics of the joints would be a nightmare and the processor is already going to be handling at the very least hundreds of particles already. gCn is an interesting idea, though. That would allow the fighters to exist as well as more particles because the whole thing could easily be computed server-side and simply displayed on-screen with any additions.

Aww.... Well hopefully you'll find a way. It would be exciting just to have the ability to play with another person like on the original dust. Although I must say that the latest screenshot is very impressive. It's almost like the real dust when you add particles.
But quick question: Is there going to be a particle limit like on Dust?
Well, how much RAM do you have? Razz
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Well, how much RAM do you have? Razz

errr... lemme check... Razz
24k Very Happy how much would that allow me to randomly drop?
About 12K dots... if you don't mind waiting a minute to scroll Razz

Of course, if you want to keep your OS, that's a different story.
2 bytes per particle? I would expect you would need at least x, y, xvel, yvel for each particle.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours