It's been a couple days since I said I would make this post, but life got in the way. Sad

HALORPG.zip

*_theta_HALOGAM: This the base program that they run; start menu is here

*HALOSTAR: Just stores all the default values for ammo and such, only for a new game

*ZA: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, sets up movement/map info; left the name because I never thought to change it (will do so for the actual "version")

*ZLVL: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, loads the different maps as strings

*ZGA: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, the movement program

*HALOENCO: The encounter program; if you randomly encounter an enemy, it randomly loads which enemy (and their stats) you're facing

*HALOBAT: The weapon-loading program

*HALOBAT2: The actual battle program

*HALOMENU: The in-game menu; doesn't currently incorporate GECUMSY (by MufinMcflufin), but it will for the actual project (left it in it's current form because I wanted to get everything tested/looked at with my own thing so I didn't screw something up with code I didn't fully understand yet Wink ).

*HALOHELP: The help "file" that is run at each new game, and available on the main menu

*HALODELV: If you die/quit, it kills all variables (I think I included them all Razz ) and leads to the credits

*HALOCRED: The credits, because I couldn't have made this without all the help from you guys

*MULTI_theta_1/2: These 2 programs will be the multiplayer programs (1 for the "Host" and one for "Join", since they have to switch which List they use as their personal stats), but I haven't worked on them yet; decided to make sure the actual game was good before putting more time into making it multiplayer
Beta7 wrote:
It's been a couple days since I said I would make this post, but life got in the way. Sad

HALORPG.zip

*_theta_HALOGAM: This the base program that they run; start menu is here

*HALOSTAR: Just stores all the default values for ammo and such, only for a new game

*ZA: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, sets up movement/map info; left the name because I never thought to change it (will do so for the actual "version")

*ZLVL: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, loads the different maps as strings

*ZGA: Program from tifreak8x's tutorials, the movement program

*HALOENCO: The encounter program; if you randomly encounter an enemy, it randomly loads which enemy (and their stats) you're facing

*HALOBAT: The weapon-loading program

*HALOBAT2: The actual battle program

*HALOMENU: The in-game menu; doesn't currently incorporate GECUMSY (by MufinMcflufin), but it will for the actual project (left it in it's current form because I wanted to get everything tested/looked at with my own thing so I didn't screw something up with code I didn't fully understand yet Wink ).

*HALOHELP: The help "file" that is run at each new game, and available on the main menu

*HALODELV: If you die/quit, it kills all variables (I think I included them all Razz ) and leads to the credits

*HALOCRED: The credits, because I couldn't have made this without all the help from you guys

*MULTI_theta_1/2: These 2 programs will be the multiplayer programs (1 for the "Host" and one for "Join", since they have to switch which List they use as their personal stats), but I haven't worked on them yet; decided to make sure the actual game was good before putting more time into making it multiplayer

I think I will test this out. Very Happy
It's not completely finished - for some reason, if you miss, the enemy doesn't get a chance to shoot (working on that right now); there are only 4 8x16 maps, I plan on having 9 per level (with multiple side paths that will have bonus items or dead ends) and 2-3 levels (at least); the stats option in the in-game menu doesn't display any stats yet, as I was too busy with the battle program to put that together (will do it tomorrow); and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the multiplayer aspect of it.

This "version" is more just for people to test (thanks Sonlen for helping with that Razz) and tell me what to change. Wink
Odd, I couldn't get it to send to WabbitEmu, there isn't enough free space. It's a TI-84+ SE.
I would love to see some screen shots, do you have any, Beta7?
merthsoft wrote:
I would love to see some screen shots, do you have any, Beta7?
I'd be very interested in seeing that as well. I'm also curious why you call it HALO RPG (as opposed to either Halo RPG or something without Halo in the name). Does it bear some relation, ideological or otherwise, to the Halo game franchise?
Kerm - I make it all caps because that's what the program names are (I don't like to mess with lowercase on the calc). And yes, it is called "HALO RPG" because the whole game is based on the first Halo game (will hopefully end up leading into Halo 2 game, which I already have the weapon stats loaded onto this version Wink ).

I don't know how to make the .gif things, and I can't get on my computer to take screenshots until tomorrow afternoon, but I will see about putting up something. There are no graphics as of yet, but I hope to eventually be able to have some of the enemies, Master Chief, and possibly a changing gun (for what you attack with) in the attack sequence.
That sounds like fun. I figured that was probably the reason for naming it in all-caps off of the calculator; I just tend to read it as shouting and it throws me for a loop. Smile I look forward to the screenshots, and of course feel free to ask for help with any bits of code or functionality that is misbehaving.
So basically it would kinda be the first game mission but in RPG form? Would battles be turn based, but instead of magic, you throw grenades at or shoot/attack enemies and be able to equip items to heal yourself during battles? It might be nice to maybe modify the story a little bit so you can also buy stuff like armor/shield upgrades and if you could level up based on your actions (like Final Fantasy II for the Nintendo).
To be honest, my original plans were for a turn-based battle where you and the opponent attack, but the guns/'nades have a chance of missing. I didn't plan on having upgrades for the health/shield, since there are none in the series; however, your shields (max 100) do recharge by 25% every time you move without having a battle. Again, since it wasn't in the original game, I wasn't planning on having an XP system or items to equip (though there will be the "Bubble Shield" grenade things later on that give temp, shield boost; there will also be ammo/packs lying around in select places, and starting a new level resets health/shield).

But yes, I've tried to make the maps somewhat like the missions (each 3x3 map level will be a different mission).

However, this thread was made for ideas/critiques, so maybe I can add something like that in later (though I've been tring to make it as close to the original as possible).

*EDIT* Just finished the first level (3x3 map area). Just have to work in tifreak's event checker (which somehow I never copied onto my calc, though I copied his other collision detection programs), work in the stats of the weapons to the in-game menu, have a running counter of the user's health/shield in battle, and switch over to GECUMSEY for the in-game menu, and I should be completely done (with the exception of finishing making all 11 or so levels Wink ).
I like the idea of integrating some of DJ Omnimaga's suggestions if you plan to expand the scope of this project a bit. I agree though that it sounds like you're still getting the initial featureset you planned coordinated and functioning, so perhaps they can be explored when you finish. Smile
I will use those ideas for Halo 2 (which I will mod this into once I'm done with it, which shouldn't be long), only because I'm almost done with this one the way it is and I would like to have at least 1 of the games be very close o the original.

I hope to have 4 Halo games (1 for Halo 1, 2, 3, and Reach), each with different features/ways to play.
Beta7 wrote:
I will use those ideas for Halo 2 (which I will mod this into once I'm done with it, which shouldn't be long), only because I'm almost done with this one the way it is and I would like to have at least 1 of the games be very close o the original.

I hope to have 4 Halo games (1 for Halo 1, 2, 3, and Reach), each with different features/ways to play.
I have one concern, which is that experienced programmers (such as myself Smile) have historically gotten annoyed at relatively new programmers who name their programs with the titles of popular PC and console games. Usually, they're annoyed because the new programmer has named their program in such a way as to get popularity and downloads, but the program doesn't have anything to do with the PC or console version. Obviously this is not the case with you, since the story is based on Halo, but I still question whether it's a good idea to name your program Halo RPG. I'm very open to discussion about it, of course, and I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you from calling it that. Smile
Usually programmers try to use as few programs as possible. Although it is nice to have extra programs while it's still in development, you should try to be sure there aren't so many programs in the end result. 13 programs becomes annoying to search through to find the one that runs the actual program, along with you may run into errors if a user accidentally runs the wrong program, then thinks that the entire thing is broken, and they get rid of it.

Of course, if you're already planning on reducing the number of programs, then you can just ignore all of this.
KermMartian wrote:
Beta7 wrote:

I have one concern, which is that experienced programmers (such as myself Smile) have historically gotten annoyed at relatively new programmers who name their programs with the titles of popular PC and console games. Usually, they're annoyed because the new programmer has named their program in such a way as to get popularity and downloads, but the program doesn't have anything to do with the PC or console version. Obviously this is not the case with you, since the story is based on Halo, but I still question whether it's a good idea to name your program Halo RPG. I'm very open to discussion about it, of course, and I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you from calling it that. Smile

Maybe HALO TBS RPG(HALO TURN BASED SYSTEM ROLE PLAYING GAME).

I also wish you luck with these Beta. Smile
@Kerm: How does "Halo-based RPG" sound? I would like the game to retain at least some form of Halo in the name because that's what it is.

@Mufin: Not quite sure how I should do that, but I will look into condensing the list once I'm done with the features.

@Sonlen: Thanks!
Beta7 wrote:
@Kerm: How does "Halo-based RPG" sound? I would like the game to retain at least some form of Halo in the name because that's what it is.
Sure, I think I could live with that. Even "Haloesque" would be music to my ears. Wink
That will now be the actual name - "Haloesque". Razz
Beta7 wrote:
That will now be the actual name - "Haloesque". Razz
Awesome! I was hoping that you might go with that. Smile
This sounds awesome! I already downloaded it and gave it a try. It's not bad at all, and I realize that this is a rough version. But awesome, keep up the goodwork.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours