Here is where I post progress on the Zelda RPG:

Current Progress

Complete:

-block list complete.
-assigned hex values to block types for easy referencing in program.

Next on the roster:

-redraw the Light World and Dark World maps.
-redraw the dungeon maps
Oh geez, another Legend of Zelda project. Wink I mean, all the best of luck to you! Can you tell us your plans? Language, setup, timeline, etc?
KermMartian wrote:
Oh geez, another Legend of Zelda project. Wink I mean, all the best of luck to you! Can you tell us your plans? Language, setup, timeline, etc?

All AXE language. And yes, I know there are a lot of Zelda's, but what's wrong with a little variety?

Setup is still being worked upon, but here's what I know:

1. L1 (Axe var, not Basic var) is player save data.
2. L2 (Axe var, not Basic var) is AI memory
3. Pic0A starts sprite memory
4. Pic0B starts map data
5. During game, current map will be help in a temp appvar, ZMapData, in RAM.

Timeline: I have no clue. Just monitor the topic and you should get an idea.
Ah, an Axe project, should definitely be interesting. I can only assume that due to the size of the game, this will become an App? Also, my concern was not too many Zelda projects but too many unfinished Zelda projects. Smile
Haha. I'm pretty sure this will get finished. As for size, I'm not sure. Most likely, though Axe Parser does not support compiling to more than one page (16 k).
Hmmmm, A Link To The Past remake?

If so I really want to wish you the best of luck.
ACagliano wrote:
Haha. I'm pretty sure this will get finished. As for size, I'm not sure. Most likely, though Axe Parser does not support compiling to more than one page (16 k).
Oh, it can't make multipage apps? Sad That's disappointing; I don't know why I thought it could make multipage apps. I guess you could still put each of the levels/maps in AppVars or Programs though, right?
KermMartian wrote:
too many unfinished Zelda projects. Smile
^ This. But still, good luck ACagliano. If you decided to take on a smaller Zelda project, maybe you could do a remake of Dark Link Quest? Razz

As for Axe's lack of multiple page app support, one way to get around that is to just use nostub sub-programs made in Axe and run them from a BASIC launcher when needed. You can then add a small program that copies archived sub-programs to temporary RAM programs if the game won't fit in RAM. Try to not go overboard with sub-programs, though, because for some reasons, people don't like having many at once.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
As for Axe's lack of multiple page app support, one way to get around that is to just use nostub sub-programs made in Axe and run them from a BASIC launcher when needed. You can then add a small program that copies archived sub-programs to temporary RAM programs if the game won't fit in RAM. Try to not go overboard with sub-programs, though, because for some reasons, people don't like having many at once.

^this is good advice, the only downside is that people can edit the BASIC program launcher, which screws the player overif they DO mess with it. Other than that, (just lock the program to keep them out) I would totally do that.
An interesting idea, DJ Omnimaga. That would certainly work well, although I'm sure you'd agree it would work better for some genres of game than others.
That is certainly an idea worth giving thought. I have another. Assuming I place the map data in program, I was considering the practicality of not copying the map data to any external appvar, but instead reading it directly from the data section of the program itself. That would save some RAM, during run-time.
It would save RAM at runtime, and you could push it above $c000, but you'd still have to obey the 23K-ish cap on RAM sanity. Smile
yes. Size is going to be a major issue with this, but I'm sure a solution will present itself.
ACagliano wrote:
yes. Size is going to be a major issue with this, but I'm sure a solution will present itself.
Indeed, it generally does; I think as long as you can fit the engine itself into 8K, dealing with swapping out maps and data is a much more trivial problem.
Agreed. From how I see it, the engine size should be fairly small.

The map interpreter (the engine that reads map data and outputs it to the screen) will only be two for loops. There will be no IF statements, as I will be using the offset method for sprite data.

[0000000000000000]-Pic00
For(row)
For(column)
Copy(copy data from sprites portion of program into Pic00, a neutral variable, used to hold the sprite to be displayed)
Pt-on(Pic00) displays the sprite on the screen
End
End

I didn't give any of the actual arguments, just an outline. But that should be all I need for the interpreter. Then, I need the event routines. For most of the blocks, it will just need to either not let me pass, inflict constant damage if i pass, or pass. Those are fairly trivial. Then there are item blocks that need to add stuff to your health, magic, or inventory. And, finally, there are dungeon and house entrances.

Beyond that, just the AI. That is it. I should be able to do that in 8 kb.
What about events, like talking to NPCs when you encounter them? You already mentioned pickups for health, magic, and inventory, I see, so it would probably just be an extension on that, right?
Yep, there are blocks for each character you can talk to. When you step on the block, the program gets the text for that character. Then, the character dissappears off the map.
Current Map Progress

1- 36x21 Kakariko Village/Lost Woods
1- 36x21 Lake Hylia/Desert/Death Mountain
5- rooms, for houses in the village

Feedback needed. Is two 36x21 maps enough for a Zelda world map? Or should I have more?
I think that that's a bit small for a world map, personally, but it is of course up to you.
I can add one more. No problem. I was actually thinking of it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours