Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
benryves wrote:
The phrase "grinds my gears". Smile

The use of the word "super" as a synonym of "very".

The endless repetition of unfunny memes.
I agree that pointless repetition of unfunny memes is annoying, but I'm always a sucker for a few well-placed, not-overused memes.
when I have done my work and am enjoying myself, next thing I know my mom gets all nervous or something that she starts giving me extra work. this leads to more yelling and such (and a lot of times the extra work is assigned really late at night.)

and nnow to further punish my enjoyment I am bannedfrom "chat"
See, that's the problem. It'll start out as a well-placed, not-overused meme, but then everyone'll pick up on it, and sure enough, we get entire threads devoted to "OVER 9000" or "the game".
merthsoft wrote:
See, that's the problem. It'll start out as a well-placed, not-overused meme, but then everyone'll pick up on it, and sure enough, we get entire threads devoted to "OVER 9000" or "the game".
Sure, and this meme death unfortunately appears to be an inevitability when the general public are confronted with a meme. I think the ultimate example was the corporate exploitation of rickrolling at last year's Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC:



However, I think in a more restricted community, as long as all of the members are at a certain level of intelligence and don't feel a need to impress each other or emulate some faux sense of friendship cemented by constantly repeating shared memes, memes can have a valid and sustainable humor aspect.
shmibs wrote:
when people pretend absolute units of time exist.

When people spout off on "the nature of time" without having studied at least relativistic physics.

KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, that grinds my gears too. If you're going to take an hour, tell me that, and it's no problem. If you tell me five minutes, and you take an hour, then I will be annoyed and consider my annoyance justified.

Relatedly, people who misuse "bbl" and "brb"
You know what really grinds my gears? I bet you do, but I'll say it anyway:

to != two != too. It was too hot to go to the beach at two o'clock.
your != you're. I think you're wrong to abuse your grammatical rules.
their != there != they're. Currently, they're hoping to go to their favorite restaurant so they can eat there.

See? Not that hard!
KermMartian wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? I bet you do, but I'll say it anyway:

to != two != too. It was too hot to go to the beach at two o'clock.
your != you're. I think you're wrong to abuse your grammatical rules.
their != there != they're. Currently, they're hoping to go to their favorite restaurant so they can eat there.

See? Not that hard!


Well what grinds my gears about the whole "there their they're" thing is that I never really had to use they're for a very long time typing, so my hands always go to there or their.
Then you just need to type more essays and posts to give yourself additional muscle-memory training. Practice makes perfect! Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Then you just need to type more essays and posts to give yourself additional muscle-memory training. Practice makes perfect! Smile


But what is "perfect" in all honesty, you can practice forever and never get close perfect. :p
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Then you just need to type more essays and posts to give yourself additional muscle-memory training. Practice makes perfect! Smile


But what is "perfect" in all honesty, you can practice forever and never get close perfect. :p
Fine, practice brings you asymptotically closer to perfect within the constraints of the abilities of the human mind and body.
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Then you just need to type more essays and posts to give yourself additional muscle-memory training. Practice makes perfect! Smile


But what is "perfect" in all honesty, you can practice forever and never get close perfect. :p
Fine, practice brings you asymptotically closer to perfect within the constraints of the abilities of the human mind and body.


That lost me, but I do know the point you were/you're getting across.
Horizontal asymptote:



In other words, as far as you progress along the x-axis (practice), you can only get vanishing close to the asymptote on the y-axis (perfect), never precisely reach it.
KermMartian wrote:
Horizontal asymptote:



In other words, as far as you progress along the x-axis (practice), you can only get vanishing close to the asymptote on the y-axis (perfect), never precisely reach it.


Hmmm... I remember that from geometry I think, but I thought it had a different term.
Texas Instruments.
BrandonW wrote:
Texas Instruments.
What about Texas Instruments? Their current interest purely in profit on their educational line? Their unwillingness to cooperate with the community? Their disregard for making new calculators that follow their older models' precedent of at least moderately programmable and hackable?
Yes. Smile

And an apparent unwillingness to fix their own bugs in their latest OSes despite being notified multiple times *exactly* what is wrong and how to fix it.
BrandonW wrote:
Yes. Smile

And an apparent unwillingness to fix their own bugs in their latest OSes despite being notified multiple times *exactly* what is wrong and how to fix it.
By multiple individuals, no less, each of whom received an assurance that the bug would be passed on to the technical team.
My little brothers grind my gears. Can't they take the volume of their fighting down a couple o' notches? Grrr...
-When people who try to prove me wrong even if I am right.

-When you give people one inch, and they take ten.

-When people who force me to do things I don't want to do. Eg: Work teammates who tries to make me do speed dating, almost forces me to go ask out a girl, then if you don't you get harassed even more.

-I don't care if someone relays things I said to someone else, unless it's really meant to be secret, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE when the person MODIFY what I said!

-Starcraft players that uses lag hacks (to purposely make the game lag)

-When people think a calculator game is terrible just because it has more than one or two sub-programs or is larger than the RAM, no matter how good the game content is. Fine if you don't want to play such large games, but it doesn't mean the entire thing sucks. I guess everyone has the right to like "Level-Up By Walking Around" more, though.

-People who have absolutely no sense of humor and whines everytime you want to have some fun.

-Opera spell-checker saying "everytime" is spelled incorrectly.

-TI, for the same reasons BrandonW stated.

-Casio, for making their BASIC language 20 times slower than TI.

-People who hate someone only based on religion, skin color or sexual orientation.

-Stupid customers at work.

I swear there were more, but I forgot for now.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-Opera spell-checker saying "everytime" is spelled incorrectly.

Do you also complain that it flags "alot" and "nevermind" as mistakes? Smile
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement