Okay, that makes sense now. Thanks.

I finished fixing the event checker, so the game is now complete (save for 1 little bug and levels 3-11). I'll upload it when I get home. I will try to make the remaining 9 levels quickly so I can finally be done with this project (and move on to #2, which will be quite different and longer/harder to make Razz). Thanks for all the help!
Out of curiosity, how were you using sub(); was it incorrect?
I was using it in the format you just explained (without understanding it Razz). I think it wasn't working because I was putting "sub(Str4,T,1=" instead of "sub(Str4,T,1)=".
Beta7 wrote:
I was using it in the format you just explained (without understanding it Razz). I think it wasn't working because I was putting "sub(Str4,T,1=" instead of "sub(Str4,T,1)=".
Yup, that's your problem. The rule of thumb is that you always need to close and match parentheses except
(1) At the end of a line
(2) Right before a STO> character
New slew(proper word choice?) of questions, if you guys have the time. Razz

I would like to make a translator app (for spanish<->english), but am unsure of what to use to store the words. I tried just having them as separate items in the program, and it was too big. A 999-element list is 9003 bytes, so that's just totally out of the question. I'm thinking of using one big string (well, 1 for each language), but then my whole program would be full of ":If sub(Str1,A,B) :Then sub(Str2,C,D)". I didn't know if this was the most efficient way to do this.
Use Celtic3 and an appvar/program. Also, I would recommend making something simpler like a conjugator before attempting the translator, since the conjugator is an important part of any translator. Smile
I agree with Souvik on this; a conjugator would probably be a good place to start. If you just want to do vocabulary, ie, basically a Spanish-English dictionary, then you would probably want a lot of delimited files containing Spanish:English word pairs, perhaps divided up into several files. One problem would be sorting: you could make translation one way go very fast by alphabetizing according to one language, but the translation in the opposite direction would be painfully slow.
Sounds like I'll need to expand my programming toolbox for this. Razz

Is a full understanding of BASIC necessary to learn/understand ASM? Is there a difference between "general" ASM and z80 ASM?
Beta7 wrote:
Sounds like I'll need to expand my programming toolbox for this. Razz

Is a full understanding of BASIC necessary to learn/understand ASM? Is there a difference between "general" ASM and z80 ASM?
There's no such thing as "general" ASM, unfortunately. There's x86 ASM for x86 processors, which I happen to know, z80 ASM for z80 processors, ARM ASM for ARM processors, etc. Luckily, thanks to the magic of modern technology, compilers for higher-level languages such as C abstract away (most of) the differences between different processor architectures, so that we coders don't have to worry about them. Unfortunately, there's no good C compiler for the z80 that produces ASM code as fast and small as a skilled ASM coder can create, whereas an optimizing compiler for x86 can produce much tighter ASM than all but the most proficient ASM programmer. Does that answer your question? Also, although I suppose a full understanding of BASIC is not completely necessary to learn ASM, I generally consider it a good idea to be a relatively skilled BASIC coder before starting z80 ASM. Of course, it's personal preference; you know your ability to pick up new sets of concepts concurrently better than me.
Oh - there was a tutorial section on tifreak's website called "General ASM". Surprised

I guess I'll go ahead and stick with BASIC for now, since I'm honestly not sure how I'd handle learning 2 programming languages at once, and I don't want to screw up my understanding of either of them. Razz

Is understanding ASM necessary to using "xLib"? I read something about how xLib was a set of ASM functions that would improve BASIC programming without having to learn ASM.
xLib is a set of ASM utility functions included in the DCS Libs or available as its own app. You do not have to learn ASM to use it. Simply input some modified commands with xLib installed and use them in your program. Check the DCS Libs link here:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
c.sprinkle wrote:
xLib is a set of ASM utility functions included in the DCS Libs or available as its own app. You do not have to learn ASM to use it. Simply input some modified commands with xLib installed and use them in your program. Check the DCS Libs link here:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
C.sprinkle is correct, no ASM necesary. No, don't install xLIB; install Doors CS instead. Doors CS offers the xLIB functions, the Celtic III functions, some Omnicalc functions, all the PicArc functions, plus the DCSB Lib functions. Read about them even more specifically here:

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=DCSB_Libs
Doors CS is way better than all the other shells and all the libs combined.
The world shall never stop thanking Kerm.
Laughing
c.sprinkle wrote:
Doors CS is way better than all the other shells and all the libs combined.
The world shall never stop thanking Kerm.
0x5
Hehe, thanks. Smile I just wanted to make sure you knew that Doors CS includes all the xLIB libraries without needing to install xLIB. In fact, if you did install xLIB, I'd expect it to either be completely superfluous or, in the worst case, break things,.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours