Yes, we all know DCS8 will eventually become a reality, don't question that! If you have any suggestions on how to improve the already AMAZING doors shell, post them here.

I do have a couple that ive grown accustom to, having used 3 other shells before DCS7...

1) have a clock icon next to the memory icon at the bottom of the page, and when the cursor is over it, display a clock, and have the ability to set it.

2) some how, have a 'lock' option to password protect DCS7. Its just to good to let some random kid screw it up when your not looking!

3) Allow the user to create a program while still in DCS7, instad of exiting and going to [prgm]-> -> create new.

4) Some how a timed screen saver? And, if at all possible, some how be able to choose the sequence of actions on this screen saver.

any other suggestions for Kerm and his DCS8 are welcome.
About #1, if it gets implemented, would Kerm need to compile a different version for the 83+ or would he just need to make sure clock functions aren't run on those calcs? The 83+ and 83+SE models don't have clock support.
You know how you could click on the scroll bar, between the arrows? It would be convenient if you could move both up and down, depending on where you click it. Or, there could be a fast-scroll keyboard shortcut or something. ALPHA + up/down maybe?
There is already + and - for scrolling up and down.

Edit: 300th post Very Happy
why need a DCS8? DCS7 is already pwn! Very Happy
For number 2, there is already a password protection SE (shell expansion)
multi tasking? I mean it might nt be possible but maybe try to...?
1. no, we can't because of calc limitations on the TI-83+
2. Why would you leave your calc out of sight? No real calc nerd does that Razz Just Joking
3. That is actually a good idea, but I really never minded
4. Nom, I think Kerm already made screen savers, but once again, I think that actually we could have an option that before APD, it has a screen saver for about 30 seconds or so. This never crossed my mind O_o
Qazz, 1) is possible, I'd think. Why wouldn't it be doable?
As for multitasking, the way the TI-OS works makes it difficult. The shell called TSE tried, but the results are less than satisfactory, and TSE is now a novelty.
calcdude, the TI83 doesn't have a clock built in.

qazz42 wrote:
4. Nom, I think Kerm already made screensavers, but once again, I think that differences between calcs would have the effect of making them come on spontaneously kinda ruined (interrupts vs crystal timers)
As far as I understand, interrupts has nothing todo with a timer. An interrupt in DCS7 on a TI83 runs just as it runs on an 84.

Can you elaborate?
oh yeah. I realized that, but still a multi tasking shell would be pretty cool. or well I just thought about something. What if Doors CS was made for like the TI89? i dont know?
comicIDIOT wrote:
calcdude, the TI83 doesn't have a clock built in.

qazz42 wrote:
4. Nom, I think Kerm already made screensavers, but once again, I think that differences between calcs would have the effect of making them come on spontaneously kinda ruined (interrupts vs crystal timers)
As far as I understand, interrupts has nothing todo with a timer. An interrupt in DCS7 on a TI83 runs just as it runs on an 84.

Can you elaborate?

Hmm, I should edit that part out, I don't think I was thinking >.> (I was thinking about something with TI-Boy, my bad)
since doors is already so close to overflowing it's two flash pages, i really don't see any need for a DCS8. the meager space left in the application should be used for bug fixing and any additional functionality left to SE's.

that's just me, though. Kerm could very well have something else hidden up his sleeves.
I think that we, other than rcplangy, are just being hypothetical. Either way, we need Kerm's input >.> to tell the truth I am rather happy with where DCS is right now
i might like shortcuts for right-clicking, like 789,() for right clicking, and shortcuts for the options in the right-click menu, like as 1-9 for the options
Shmibs, DCS7 it's 3 pages IIRC.
Comic, it wouldn't have to display the time unless it's an 84+(SE)
rcplanegy wrote:
Yes, we all know DCS8 will eventually become a reality, don't question that! If you have any suggestions on how to improve the already AMAZING doors shell, post them here.
Don't count on it. A number of discouraging comments from Omnimaga/Cemetech members has made me seriously doubt whether it's actually worth my time and effort to continue development.
Quote:
I do have a couple that ive grown accustom to, having used 3 other shells before DCS7...
Which ones are those?

Quote:
1) have a clock icon next to the memory icon at the bottom of the page, and when the cursor is over it, display a clock, and have the ability to set it.
This should be a Shell Expansion (SE), not an integral part of DCS. I've asked numerous times for someone to volunteer to make one; no one has yet done so.

Quote:
2) some how, have a 'lock' option to password protect DCS7. Its just to good to let some random kid screw it up when your not looking!
As Qazz says, not a big concern of mine. There's already this shell expansion:

Password Protection SE for DCS 6.1 and higher

Quote:
3) Allow the user to create a program while still in DCS7, instad of exiting and going to [prgm]-> -> create new.
Again, not a huge priority given the lack of space I have in the properties menu

Quote:
4) Some how a timed screen saver? And, if at all possible, some how be able to choose the sequence of actions on this screen saver.
Again, a shell expansion would be the way to go on this imho.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
About #1, if it gets implemented, would Kerm need to compile a different version for the 83+ or would he just need to make sure clock functions aren't run on those calcs? The 83+ and 83+SE models don't have clock support.
It's trivial to detect the difference in code. Cf. my Shell Expansion suggestion.

Souvik1997 wrote:
There is already + and - for scrolling up and down.
+ and - for scrolling up and down, and * and / for scrolling up and down faster, actually.

0rac343 wrote:
why need a DCS8? DCS7 is already pwn! Very Happy
Cheers 0rac343. Smile

shmibs wrote:
since doors is already so close to overflowing it's two flash pages, i really don't see any need for a DCS8. the meager space left in the application should be used for bug fixing and any additional functionality left to SE's.

that's just me, though. kerm could very well have something else hidden up his sleeves.
Exactly my plan. Smile Thanks for understanding so well, Shmibs. Actually, the only exception to that is CALCnet, and as calcdude correctly noted, it's 3 app pages.
DoorsCS Gray-Scale Edition! For the nine THOUSANDTH time, DO IT! Very Happy

Er, *ahem*, yeah I don't really think DCS needs much more in terms of built-in functionality. If you ask me, it already does too much.
KeithJohansen wrote:
DoorsCS Gray-Scale Edition! For the nine THOUSANDTH time, DO IT! Very Happy

Er, *ahem*, yeah I don't really think DCS needs much more in terms of built-in functionality. If you ask me, it already does too much.
In terms of my sanity and how much care I need to take when adding a new feature, yes, it definitely does do too much. Its original goal was to be such a step forward from alternatives, though, that it would be silly continuing to use anything else instead of Doors CS. Regarding grayscale: This would require a complete overhaul of the GUI subsystem, possibly even a rewriting from scratch, something that I'm not too keen on doing.
++ on Kerm, i intended to make EchoOS grayscale, until i found out the timing.When using grayscale, your reduced to 1/3 of the time, drawing window and whatnot's very slow, and would be a hassle to control things like the mouse.not to mention, it would take twice as much data for everything, would hinder backwards compatability, and with DCS running as slowly as it currently is (no offense Kerm) it would be practically impossible

but i would suggest grayscale libraries built in for games

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours